The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Some blue sky appearing through the grey clouds and it seems to be getting brighter in the East.  Bright spells, scattered showers and a breezy day on offer although not as windy as the past couple of days.  9°C now rising to 11°C.

Left peg still causing a bit of grief although I did manage to walk just over a mile yesterday accompanying The Boss to and from the dentist.    

Nottalot done yesterday except watching a couple of TV recordings.  No Shed visit, my excuse being the painful peg....maybe today as he often says with monotonous regularity.

I do need to look at the accounts today and do a bit of book balancing.  Won't take long as there's not much to balance!

The Boss has appeared and advised me that although we had a food delivery yesterday we need to go to Asda to get something else which she prefers to obtain from there.  Another hobble then...or I could possibly take the car..we'll see.

Timetoetc.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Dry, no wind, I can just see one or two branches moving slightly and there are bits of blue sky showing through the grey bits, the temperature is currently 6C and predicted to reach 8C later. It might turn out to be a nice day, oooh, I think I’ve spoke too soon, there’s quite a bit of movement in the trees now.

Anyway, back to the plans for today, I’ll shortly set off on my walk to the butchers, for the weekly meat rations and a pork pie for dinner. Then I’m off to the Trafford Centre for a click and collect package for Sheila and a few other items we can’t get locally. 

The afternoon will be spent in the workshop with Charlie, who re-arranged yesterday’s planned visit due to a shift change. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

The sun is out right now but the usual cloud is encroaching from the west, the forecast says cloud with showers again later.  I didn't wake until about 08.00 but that was after a poor night's sleep.  I know I had a dream about a book I've just read, then I woke needing to empty my bladder, at that point I remembered two bits of another dream, one was "that otter wasn't big enough" and the other bit was "we need a fire to keep us warm".  Perhaps it is as well I didn't remember the rest of it.  

Then I was woken by a loud series of bangs and a shrieking sound.  After I had fully woken I realised it was the wind making the tiles clatter and blowing things around nearby.  I've looked at my roof and it is still there, as are my fences.  It is still much too windy to be able to enjoy going out far so I may just go and have a look at a support ship which is moored at the Quayside.

After that it will be more of the same - reading, TV, model stuff and eating.  I've realised I've been eating too much in the evening so supper is going to have to become much more frugal for a while, at least until I have eaten the Christmas chocolates - I had bought some but have also been given some and I can't resist chocolate temptation.

Davif

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Is this not the normal state of trees in a wild forest?

I remember reading, awhile ago, that it was put forward for maintained land as an environmental benefit to the woodland/forest. Not sure how far the idea went, though, but I did see uprooted/broken trees lying in Haigh Woodland Park December 2019.  Maybe not such a great idea along thoroughfares, bridle and foot paths, pedestrian ways, etc.IMG_0282.jpeg.29a59a44c62b1fe80625a37043173404.jpeg

IMG_0284.jpeg.ae2daf50e621e0eaf57dff0d59c44700.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Perhaps you should have made a critical or highly sceptical post about a favoured minority on Farcebook, Instaprat or “X” - you’d have had the plod turn up faster than you could say “soshul meeja”

(or am I just being incredibly cynical here?)

Not cynical at all. From time here we have visitations from the travelling community (Tarmac your drive soi?) . We are often told that we mustn't use the P word to describe them. My answer to that is "Why can't we call them parasites?"

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Another good night last night, I did wake up about five but neither bladder control or the other two gentlemen were involved. Bin day tomorrow but it's only the two recycling bags this week, they don't seem to be affected by the strong winds when they're full. When I went to collect my friend yesterday it was blowing a hooley and it was his BIN day, the same as mine and just recycling. But where he lives they still use the plastic bags and on the way I was confronted by a mobile chichane of bouncing plastic bags.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold

A walk has been walked, well there was more hobbling than walking, took longer than usual because en route we encountered no less than 4 friends and neighbours so much nattering ensued.  Mind you I was glad for the breaks in walking.  Got back and as it looks like it will rain shortly I put all our ours and next door's bins out ready for tomorrow's collections.  They all had something in common being both full and heavy.

A bit of book balancing has been done and I was pleasantly surprised to find a few more tokens spare than I thought I had.

Muggacoffee now and I need to think about what's next.   All I can be certain of is that it won't involve a lot of physical activity. *

*Update:  Lunch in about 45 minutes, turkey sandwich anyone?  🦃🍞🥪😂

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 15

51 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

"Got any Easter eggs?", I jokingly ask the assistant. "Yes, we've got some in the back..."

I was at Tess Co this AM, a chap came past dragging a pallet shifter, loaded with easter eggs....

I will not buy creme eggs until the middle of January. Or at least until all the Christmas chocolates have been eaten.  And I don't intend to scoff those down at a rate of knots!

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

Recent pictures from Botanical Gardens, Sydney.

IMG_8417.jpeg.69f5382d34004227db41ce3c27af9cbf.jpegIMG_8033.jpeg.c74669de86434e9f295724587d7f90d1.jpeg

Not worried about those.. but I still bear a leaf mark scar from one of 5

the plants there..

Baz

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

As it happens I managed to get a 3 mile walk in with no rain encountered.  Yippppppeeeeedddddoooo!!!!!

The North West Leeds Highlands  is now in the middle of a cold hoolie with bits of blue sky.

All being well me and her indoors will be meeting up with another ER and partner later for a pint. 

Time to.. go do some muddling!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 13
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

Cover to stove resealed, that went exceedingly well, it's often been a much more awkward task as it's on the back of the stove, there's normally much grief cleaning, and getting it back on without getting covered in gue.

It been a bit of a Brummer*** working on the ramp, that's now back in the house to set. Legs have been fitted. I'm intending to paint the ramp to hide all iniquities.

Muddling done, some of Polly's filler is taking a long time to set, i'm wondering if its taking a dislike to the new acrylic paint I'm using to dye the mix. Bridge work suspended until a new pair of square tipped pliers arrives. Due Sunday.

I had 3 orders from the house of strong ladies, the newest order has arrived, the oldest order is the last programmed to arrive.

Today's order is for the rudder,

A specific high strength bolt for the rudder head, the old one was bending.

Some copper self adhesive sheet, it's supposed to have very waterproof glue and will be used to copper the rudder. It's an experiment, antifouling is getting evermore expensive, the one I've been using is about £100 a litre now,  and evermore useless as they ban everything that works. I'm doing the rudder this year as it's easily removable, and I could chuck it on the bench and grind it off if it doesn't work.

*** Don't forget the R..

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

5 hours ago, southern42 said:

I remember reading, awhile ago, that it was put forward for maintained land as an environmental benefit to the woodland/forest. Not sure how far the idea went, though, but I did see uprooted/broken trees lying in Haigh Woodland Park December 2019.  Maybe not such a great idea along thoroughfares, bridle and foot paths, pedestrian ways, etc.IMG_0282.jpeg.29a59a44c62b1fe80625a37043173404.jpeg

IMG_0284.jpeg.ae2daf50e621e0eaf57dff0d59c44700.jpeg

Yes no problem with that but the trees I was writing about were hung up in the crowns of other trees.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 5

Lucy now seems to be back to her usual self and - according to Mrs iD - was happily running about on her walks today

I have NO idea what was wrong and although Lucy now appears happy and comfortable ,nonetheless the vet will be informed when we take her in for her eye operation (excision of tumour from an eyelid). I’ll definitely ask for a recommendation for a good reference on aging in dogs (so that I can learn the difference between normal and pathological age related changes).

Apart from worsening deafness, she is in really great condition and her major organ systems (cardiovascular, renal, hepatic and pulmonary) are in very good condition.

But at 14, she’s definitely on the home stretch to that great kennel in the sky. And all I want is for her to be happy, feel loved, be comfortable and be pain free (mind you that’s sort of a personal goal for me as well)

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 12

8 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Lucy now seems to be back to her usual self and - according to Mrs iD - was happily running about on her walks today

I have NO idea what was wrong and although Lucy now appears happy and comfortable ,nonetheless the vet will be informed when we take her in for her eye operation (excision of tumour from an eyelid). I’ll definitely ask for a recommendation for a good reference on aging in dogs (so that I can learn the difference between normal and pathological age related changes).

Apart from worsening deafness, she is in really great condition and her major organ systems (cardiovascular, renal, hepatic and pulmonary) are in very good condition.

But at 14, she’s definitely on the home stretch to that great kennel in the sky. And all I want is for her to be happy, feel loved, be comfortable and be pain free (mind you that’s sort of a personal goal for me as well)

That's good news. Sounds much like Devil Dog's predecessor, Satan's Angel aka Ziggy. She had a knack of feigning illness, usually a limp, which resulted in frequent visits to the vet only to miraculously recover when she was presented.

DD tells me that she has been in touch with the League (Swiss branch) of Miniature Schnauzers and that they are on stand by in case Lucy needs company.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1