The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Not a lot of fireworks so far tonight, probably because its too wet but there's more than three hours to go yet. I've been demolishing the 1kg. Vanilla cheesecake and it might (just) make it into the new year. It's a hard job but someone's got too do it.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, pH said:

Results of a week of driving in the interior of BC, mostly on highways. 

The roads are treated with a salt/grit mixture. (I believe at lower temperatures they just use grit.)

Below -8C salt stops working - hence the switch to pure grit or alternatives

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

44 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Fireworks have been sounding off for a couple of hours and there was a veritable barrage just now.  I must be getting old as I can't stand the bloody things especially the really loud ones . Just don't see the point of all that noise.  And there's more now.  Humbug!

On that note I will wish you all a Happy New Year and hope that those with health issues get them resolved.

"Anyone lighting the fuse on illegal fireworks faces a fine of almost $40,000 and one year in prison, the NSW government has warned, as it promised a tough "zero tolerance" approach this New Year's Eve."

Still one or two go off occasionally  but they are illegal to sell or possess anywhere in Australia  (except in the NT for personal shoppers - no mail or online sales - on July 1st , and its  illegal to still have them there after the 4th..)

Local manufacturers who supply to the organised events like the NYE Sydney display  would not risk selling to the public.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well, I did manage to get some work done in the garden, but whilst doing so it rained. Thankfully it wasn’t heavy and it also didn’t last long. By the end of the morning, I’d planted up 2 oval planters and emptied my garden waste into the green bin. After dinner, I did a little tiding up in the cellar and put away the Christmas tree and all the decorations. Tomorrow will probably be getting Sheila’s bag ready for hospital stay on Tuesday. 

There have been fireworks going off for the last few hours now, around about 5 minutes ago it started raining and that seems to have stopped most, but no all of them. It’ll be worse around midnight. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight everyone and a happy new year to you all. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 10

• RMweb Premium

Happy New Year to all.  A brief inspection of fireworks was undertaken with a glass of malt in hand.  Sadly the fact that the bangs start on the first stroke of midnight means we can't hear the ship sirens out here on the northern edge of the city. When we lived about a mile nearer the docks you could hear them.  There are still a few going off but I've gone back to the BBC Alba Ceilidh.  Tomorrow we are attending a dance-out and singaround at the Flower Pots in Cheriton.  The weather looks abysmal.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

Belated Happy New Year to all.

I was watching BBC Scotland, first 'Queens of the Year' or something like that - well worth watching if you have iplayer, then Hogmanay.  I heard, and saw, some fireworks somewhere in front of my house, then I heard some more from about 00:25 - came upstairs to post this and away from the TV I could hear a lot more bangs until a minute or two ago.

Now to go back, top up my alcohol stream, and watch the ceilidh I've recorded from BBC Alba.

hic! 🤣

Just heard another bang - dunno where they are, can't see any colours in the sky, but as a pet-free person I say - "let them enjoy the noise on this of all nights!"

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 minutes ago, zarniwhoop said:

Belated Happy New Year to all.

And to you - though for me the new year rings in about seven hours from now.

Happy New Year one and all. I hope 2024 is kind to you all.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 13