The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

The Brooksteed in Worthing is worth a visit. 

Yes a very good micro. Went in there with John DMJ a few times. Its change ownership again. However last bus in to and out of Arundel is not long after 6pm.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

' morning all from red dragon land.

Sun, clear sky, frost. Temperature has moved from a negative to a positive number 0.6C since I got up.

21 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Not a lot to do today but I've got a new book to peruse about unmentionables in and around Tilbury.

That reminds me, I have two new books to peruse plus a magazine newly arrived in the post yesterday. I doubt I will get much chance to look at them today as it is C&C groceries day which will entail a Henry workout and getting the cupboards re-sorted after most of the additional *C* foods have been devoured, now down to the last few mince pies and pieces of *C* cake.

Time to get on.

Take care. Be good. Find time.

Polly

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Bin men have been and gone and now its all quiet. Now I have to get things sorted for the Brentwood toy fair tomorrow, I have my modelling tokens ready though I doubt they will all get spent.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

A'noon all.

Several tick boxes have been completed.

Dressing removed, it was a bit stuck so needed persuasion but I managed that with only a little bit of blood ensuing.  No follow up visits should be necessary apparently as the sutures will dissolve.

New door handle spring set arrived last night so that has been fitted to the front door which means we no longer have a floppy lever.

Travel insurance quotes received so that has now been sorted.  Just need to pay for the holiday in the next couple of weeks.

Several visitors arrived to see if I was still alive OK.  Tim from over the road, Ali from next door and Nicki, Joe & Gemma all turned up within a few minutes of each other so the house was a bit hectic for a while.  Nice to know that somebody cares!

Lunch taken at 13.00 and a bit of financial admin dealt with and now The Boss is making me a muggatea.  Unfortunately there seems to be a cake shortage here so I'll have to make do with some biscuits.  It's a hard life.

It's good to hear you are progressing well

David

• Agree 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Today has involved a number of phone calls.  The food arrived just after 10.00, all the right things came including 2 free meals so I needn't cook anything difficult after the hernia repair the week after next unless I feel like it.

I have started to organise help with housework so I don't have to lift the Shark, someone is visiting me on Monday to discuss it and give a price.  If that doesn't work I have some other people to ring.  Then several friends rang to ask if I have the date yet and they all wanted to have long chats.

I did get out for a walk along the promenade, it was much cooler there today, only 4C and much heavier cloud so no photos were taken.  There were a lot of dog walkers about along with a number of surfers, though the waves were quite small.

This afternoon I have dome some model stuff and sorted out aniother 20 days of photos for the web.

I think I will sit and read for most of the evening as I am a bit sore - I have stood more than I intended during the day as I had to move things round in the kitchen to make space to put the meals where I can get at them without bending and stretching.  At the moment sitting comfortably and walking do not cause pain, standing does, sitting in some chairs of the village hall variety can be very painful after a few minutes.  Fotrtunately my sofa, other living room chair, computer chair and kitchen chairs are all OK.

David

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 8

5 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

The dewpoint temperature was something I'd never heard of before,

We are very familiar with the dewpoint here. It mostly matters in winter (when the weather is humid) and the creation of fog.

As our winter weather event is now imminent the forecast is absent the earlier hyperbole. Temperature forecasts over the weekend remain similar (well below zero) but snowfall estimates for today are now closer to zero and any daytime precipitation will fall as rain. We might see some snow tomorrow but the threat of freezing rain seems to be rising.

I got a walk in this morning around notional sunrise. Overcast and perhaps 3°C. Quite normal for this time of year.

We've probably seen our high temperature for the day. It is forecast to drop all day as arctic air from east of the mountains leaches through the gorge.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Fujitsu win British big computer contracts because in 2002 they bought ICL the remaining big British main frame  computer manufacturer. ICL were the result of mergers with several other British manufacturers often forced by the governments of the times. That included Marconi Elliott computers whose products I worked on .

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

• RMweb Premium

ICL 1906... George.. punch card.. takes me back a long, long time... 

When I started at Uni the KDF 9 had just been made redundant by the arrival of a super duper Dec 10.. moon lander anyone??

St Eveneage  used an IBM 360 which was awful in comparison..

Baz

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, petethemole said:

Prior to that, a lot was lost, or excavations were allowed but with no funding for all the work that ensues.  Now there are politicians who want to "speed up" the planning process to build more houses.  I suspect archaeology may be in their sights.

The Rome Metro project  had rather a lot of archaeology to process too. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 4
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

The Rome Metro project  had rather a lot of archaeology to process too. 

When I visited Malta back in the 70's I paid a visit to the city of Mdina which was at one time the capital of the island. It is a very ancient city with very narrow roads and alley's. It was in the process of becoming a World Heritage site so they first decided to put all the cables underground. The problem was that everywhere they dug they came across archeology which had to be recorded  or rescued.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Last night when I went to the SEERS meeting there was quite a traffic jam on the A13 and it was gridlocked from Pitsea to Tarpots. The cause was an accident on the A127 and the traffic was diverted to the A13. This meant that I was delayed in collecting my friend and I was late getting to the venue where parking was difficult at the best of times. As a result I spent a further twenty minutes looking for somewhere to park but I eventually found a space about fifty yards from the venue. We had just got to the front door when a car parked right outside pulled away. 🥴 

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Gold

Evening Each!

3 hours ago, Barry O said:

.. moon lander anyone??

Oh yes please, I seem to remember porting it to the Fluke 1720 Instrument Controller we used to use.  It was mighty fine bit of kit in its day.

john-fluke-mfg-co-inc-1720-instrument-controller-hen-zv-17-60c763be4bcf0-small.jpg.059a7492d46a0d28d4f2c0a093d5248a.jpg

Well, I had to do something when I was bored.    Happy days.

ION

Most importantly;  I spoke to Bear again today.   He's hanging on in there but not really making much progress 😢   I will check-up on him again in a few days and maybe even give him a gentle cajole for us to go out somewhere even if it's only for coffee.

I spent a happy hour on the phone to HMRC this morning sorting out a significant tax issue brought about by one of the providers (I know not which one is truly to blame) who manage my primary source of income.   It was a Curate's Egg of a call; I had to suffer (as we all do) the ridiculous waffle about irrelevant topics, finding help online and all the other typical ballcocks that go on and then when I finally managed to get to the "OK  hold the line for the next available advisor by the way we're very busy" I then had to suffer (again, as we all do) the carp Muzak and constant interruptions (Your call is important, have you been online  ......) meaning you can't actually concentrate on anything while you are waiting.   

BUT!

When I finally spoke to  "James" he was the very model of politeness, efficiency, knowledge & ability to understand the issue, re-compute the computations, come up with the same answer that I did (that's pleasing as I'm not an accountant) and finally take the necessary remedial actions.      I thanked him profusely for his assistance.      I'd been asked to take part in the standard satisfaction survey afterwards so it was suitable brickbats for them and particularly large bouquets for James.     I do wish they'd ditch all of that preliminary tosh and annoyance so the waiting time isn't entirely wasted!

IOON

I've had another go at processing my Saturn imagery from the other day.   It will never be very good but I've found some extra functions in the processing software - they were there all along, I just didn't think of using them.  

Anyway, it's looking a little better now than it did.

000_17_43_30_f094_list_300r_96T_76reg_aligned_sharp_800x600.jpg.e0e56e52df824165f0f87abad89b7e3b.jpg

This is the video that software processed to produce the image.    You'll notice I was having particular difficulties with the mount on Tuesday 🤣

Night Awl

Edited by PupCam
Added source video
  • Like 18