The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

7 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

There was a fire on a battery powered London bus yesterday, today the whole fleet of the type of bus concerned have been taken off the road for checks.

Jaguar Ipace EV's  were subject to a recall  in the US for the same reason..    This shows the kerfuffle that it takes to put them out.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 14

4 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

It's alright I figured it out he says he's going to a dance and needs reinforcement or was that sequins.

I think he just wanted 3/4 as an advance...

3 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

In other news our regular Amazon person is good. If we’re out he leaves things in the porch. 

Someone else was on the run today. They didn’t even open the gate let alone knock the door. Several hours later I received a “delivery” email.  For a package tossed over the wall by the bins. The contents are not undamaged. 

Suitable feedback has been provided.  Collection and replacement have been booked.   

IMG_5520.jpeg.2775688c7d9972b63dbaef91b8708419.jpeg

Similar to my Amazon delivery last week, which was in an Amazon paper bag...  It was improved by Amazon NOT sending the item ordered.

Sent back for a refund.

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Today was the annual post New Year dinner for all of the old codgers  citizens of my age or older in the commune.

Aperitives, cold meat collation with salad, wild boar stew, cheese*, ice cream dessert, clementines, chocolates, galette de Roi**, coffee and a seemingly inexhaustible supply of wine.  Best part of 4 hours start to finish and at no cost to participants ( attending spouses who are under-age have to pay €15 = around GBP 12.50.

* The French eat cheese before dessert - supposedly it fills the stomach and so reduces the amount of dessert you need - not that you would think that looking at everything that arrived after the cheese today.

** A frangipane pie with, like traditional Xmas pud, a little gift buried somewhere within.  The winner gets to wear a paper crown for the rest of the day.   

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Beef stew with dumplings for this evenings dinner courtesy of the use-by-date lottery (well in date but the oldest date wise).  What with the car accident I still haven't touched my purchases from the toy fair so something to get on with. Be back later.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 5

In a week that has caused much debate in our hobby I wonder if anyone could confirm my belief that this is another trader that has decided to close the door for the last time.

https://www.n-spoorstore.nl/en/content/het-is-mooi-geweest

For those that may be wondering, it a place where I do spend quite a few tokens and have got to know the family and staff quite well. If the message is what I think it is I’d like to send them a thank you card but obviously I want to be sure.

Thanks in anticipation.

Robert

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

In a week that has caused much debate in our hobby I wonder if anyone could confirm my belief that this is another trader that has decided to close the door for the last time.

https://www.n-spoorstore.nl/en/content/het-is-mooi-geweest

For those that may be wondering, it a place where I do spend quite a few tokens and have got to know the family and staff quite well. If the message is what I think it is I’d like to send them a thank you card but obviously I want to be sure.

Thanks in anticipation.

Robert

I used translate.google.com - put the URL in the 'website' box, select from Dutch and to English.

A quick browse suggests they are retiring in June.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

24 minutes ago, zarniwhoop said:

I used translate.google.com - put the URL in the 'website' box, select from Dutch and to English.

A quick browse suggests they are retiring in June.

Thanks for that, it’s come as quite a surprise really but I did know that the owners wife, Ineke has been ill for a while. They are a very friendly family and often advise me where to visit when I’m in Holland. Hopefully I’ll get to see them before they close.

Wow, things are really coming off the tracks this year.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

Today was the annual post New Year dinner for all of the old codgers  citizens of my age or older in the commune.

Aperitives, cold meat collation with salad, wild boar stew, cheese*, ice cream dessert, clementines, chocolates, galette de Roi**, coffee and a seemingly inexhaustible supply of wine.  Best part of 4 hours start to finish and at no cost to participants ( attending spouses who are under-age have to pay €15 = around GBP 12.50.

* The French eat cheese before dessert - supposedly it fills the stomach and so reduces the amount of dessert you need - not that you would think that looking at everything that arrived after the cheese today.

** A frangipane pie with, like traditional Xmas pud, a little gift buried somewhere within.  The winner gets to wear a paper crown for the rest of the day.   

We will be heading for the Salle de fete this afternoon for our Gallett du roi.  There appear to be several versions of it.  Round here it is often a sort of large donut Brioche with a glaze and glacé cherries as decoration.  The Little porcelain figures are often caricatures of politicians.  I ended up chomping on Marine Le Pen a couple of years ago. 

Good moaning from the chilly Charente.  Stew and dumplings was excellent last night.  This morning we are off to the market as usual then the Gallett this afternoon. 

Rehards to all and of course Sundry. 

Jamie

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Busy day ahead as it's our Northern Regional Conference.  Organisation by the paid staff has bordered on the useless.. but its not my problem. 

Time to geramoveon..

Back later

Baz

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

It must be Sunday as I got up at 07.00 and have now had breakfast and am ready for the day.  Well actually I don't feel ready for anything at all, but in theory I am.

I've started on the e mails, phone calls will follow shortly and then church.

It's quite cloudy yet again, no frost, 2C and not much wind.  I slept fairly well until 05.00 then I woke with indigestion - I wonder if it was too much stilton at tea time?

I think that once I get back from the church the rest of the day may be fairly quiet, I have a number of things I want to do which involve sitting down rather than standing for long periods.

David

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,

4 hours sleep loóooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong awake, about an hour's sleep.

Ben the I'm requesting out Collie appeared but went back to bed when I asked and I got another half hours sleep.

Cool dry, and grey, lightened by the first bunch of snowdrops showing their faces.

During the awake it suddenly popped into brain.

When the new mast step is fitted it will stick up above the tabernacle by about a foot. That would go through the winter cover , therefore a horizontal is needed and that will need other supports . Much thought is going into their design.

I've an old mast that will do the horizontal once I've removed any sharp bits, but that due to its curves will require shaped topped supports.

Shortly I'll depart for the sailing club,

Forecast, WSW, 5 to 13mph, actual at the moment 8 to 13mph NW.

Time to get the kit on.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dull start to the day here.  It will stay mainly cloudy with the chance of the odd brighter spell and a few light scattered showers.  2°C rising to 6°C.

I had a good night's sleep, only waking once briefly at about 04.00.  The operation site is fine and apart from obviously knowing it's there it all seems to have settled down OK.

Lots of rugby watched yesterday, 4 matches in fact and the best was left till last when Quins visited Cardiff and demolished them after a slightly shaky start.  Three more matches available are today but one or two may be recorded for later consumption.

James came and cleaned the conservatory roof.  What it is to be young and fit, he did it in about a third of the time it would have taken me.  Anyway, it's a good job done and he also made good a crack in the pebbledash on the front of the house.  The girls returned from the shopping trip after several hours and the bride's wedding dress has been  purchased for what seems to me to be an outlandish sum of tokens but hey, what do I know about such things.  Apparently there will be more shopping trips to purchase stuff for the bridesmaids and the bride's mother.(Aka The Boss)   I will not be shopping at all as I have a perfectly good suit for the occasion which although it's a few years old has only been worn about half a dozen times and it still fits perfectly.

Tea was taken up to Herself earlier and it sounds like she is about to make an appearance.  A cooked breakfast has already been promised so that's something to look forward to.  After that I may go for a walk as I've been sitting around a bit too much for the past couple of days.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 18

Yay for the humidity being back to normal again today, though the forecast is for heaps of rain between now and Thursday. This El Nino that was meant to make it hot and dry and have us all running around putting out bushfires everywhere doesnt have a clue what it is doing.

The frogs are loving it though, as the sun goes down there is currently  a background noise of Bleating Tree Frogs going off. Turned on the telly to catch the news and discovered that after the news  "Muster Dogs" has returned. Think ":Strictly Come Dancing" but where dogs round up cattle. Surprisingly watchable.

"Its not Ben - but it IS Bens Australian Kelpie cousin":

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 1

49 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Yay for the humidity being back to normal again today, though the forecast is for heaps of rain between now and Thursday. This El Nino that was meant to make it hot and dry and have us all running around putting out bushfires everywhere doesnt have a clue what it is doing.

The frogs are loving it though, as the sun goes down there is currently  a background noise of Bleating Tree Frogs going off. Turned on the telly to catch the news and discovered that after the news  "Muster Dogs" has returned. Think ":Strictly Come Dancing" but where dogs round up cattle. Surprisingly watchable.

"Its not Ben - but it IS Bens Australian Kelpie cousin":

We used to have a programme called One Man and his dog which was about collies rounding up sheep.

Unfortunately the BBC decided in there infinite wisdom that it wasn't popular enough and diverse enough. In other words as it showed things such as white males and working animals which the urbanites didn't comprehend it had to go. They tried to 'update it' but of course then it became like some woke game show.

Now of course we have all these 'oh look at nature isn't it wonderful' shows and 'how diverse the countryside is'. No wonder kiddies don't know where the milk comes from.

• Like 1
  • Agree 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

No wonder kiddies don't know where the milk comes from.

The first infant school I attended in Somerset was right next to farmland so it wasn’t difficult. We then moved to Birmingham and there was a school trip to see farm animals and crops. That was in the 1950s. If most of the children had been asked they would have said milk came from a bottle. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 13
  • Agree 3

48 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

We used to have a programme called One Man and his dog which was about collies rounding up sheep.

Unfortunately the BBC decided in there infinite wisdom that it wasn't popular enough and diverse enough. In other words as it showed things such as white males and working animals which the urbanites didn't comprehend it had to go. They tried to 'update it' but of course then it became like some woke game show.

Now of course we have all these 'oh look at nature isn't it wonderful' shows and 'how diverse the countryside is'. No wonder kiddies don't know where the milk comes from.

Australia is a land of rugged pioneers -  as long as you ignore the fact that 80% of us live in cities - I think its the highest rate of urbanisation in the world. Mainly because there are a lot of uninhabitable bits , but anyway..

But we do like to get out into the bush and revel in the emptiness and uniqueness of it all, and lap up documentaries about our  remote cattle and sheep stations that are the size of many European countries - and see the lives of  those that work there - while ignoring the fact that many of the cattle and sheep we see on the telly  end up on live animal export ships to be slaughtered the Halal way in filthy abattoirs in Indonesia and the middle east.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

Morning All Er ers.

Shock….Horror…….No breakfast this morning at Grizz Castle.

However things are not quite as bleak as they might sound, as today we are having smørrebrød around lunch time, whilst watching Dronning Margrethe II handing over to Frederik, Kronprins af Danmark (the new King). 

So it’s going to be Meget Hyggelig, with schnapps and beers all round and lovely scrumptious food, with some flags out and watching it all on DR1. Hurra Hurra Hurra. 

Have a great day all.

ATB Grizz

• Like 18

1 minute ago, Grizz said:

However things are not quite as bleak as they might sound, as today we are having smørrebrød around lunch time, whilst watching Dronning Margrethe II handing over to Frederik, Kronprins af Danmark (the new King). 

Aye!   - also Aussie Queen Mary, born and bred in Tassie  don't forget.

Their eyes met  across a Sydney pub during the 2000 Sydney Olympics and in response to the coronation the pub has had a full-on Danish coronation weekend, including a "Theres something about Mary" cocktail and a kind of danish sausage thingy in honour of her hubby.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit late this morning, not sure what time I woke up but by the time I'd washed and came down for breakfast it was nearly ten. One of our SEERS members has a sale on this morning selling a lot of unmentionables (here on ER's) and also giving out free tea and bread pudding.🥴 I of course will not be able to attend without transport.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Friendly/supportive 14