The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

14 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I took a quick shot of the  moon on Friday night (or was it Thursday?) while taking the rubbish out to the bin. Its only a hand-held snap though so its not the sharpest. I've also noticed that pictures posted here  lose a bit of clarity compared to the originals. 

P1230969.JPG.665ffb2243ede0b3496adf134fce7335.JPG

That's given me an idea for a TV show... I shall be straight on the blower to Gerry Anderson Inc.!

Some of those craters must be several miles wide.

• Like 11
  • Funny 3

2 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

There's also dear old Vera to watch tonight but sadly I believe this may be the last ever episode

Well, she must be a retirement candidate, even if there might be no enforced retirement age.

• Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

On camera phones, they are remarkable devices we take for granted. Their night time capabilities have transformed taking pictures at night. Camera phone designers had to work with tiny sensors and cheap fixed aperture lenses so developed computational photography to offset these limitations and achieved incredible results. Techniques such as focus and exposure stacking to produce composite images can produce superb results. And it all works with pretty much no input needed from the user. For most people most of the time I think a half decent (not even a flagship model) camera is all they will need.

There's a neat inversion. Many camera phones offer a full suite of manual controls but the UI just doesn't work for me. The better ones can shoot RAW but personally I see little point as exposure accuracy is so good.  On the other hand DSLR and mirrorless cameras now do integrate computational photography technologies developed for phones but using them can be a pain as it often requires going through a maze of menus and sub-menus. I just leave my phone in auto and use the pictogram to select modes like night, and use my camera as a traditional camera (though that may change as one of the things that attracted me to the OM-1 was very good computational photography integration).

I still like using my camera. Part of it is I find it an enjoyable past time/hobby to go aircraft train, ship, wild life watching with the camera, I find it a nice way to get quiet 'my time' and to get gentle exercise (walking). Part of it is that in bright conditions a view finder is a godsend,  and partly that for long reach photography with telephoto lenses a traditional set up still outperforms a phone. My S23 ultra has a 230mm full frame equivalent lens which is very usable but whereas the wide angle performance is so good there is no real advantage to using my mirrorless unless looking for bokeh, at longer reach the mirrorless does outperform it very noticeably. And I  can go way beyond 230mm with the mirrorless without needing digital zooming. So there's still a place for the DSLR and mirrorless camereras but I am in awe of just how good phone cameras are.

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Greetings all.

Not a lot done here so far. We went to see MiL yesterday. Uneventful trips there and back via the M25. Her memory issues are getting worse rapidly. Aditi managed to be kind and tolerant. Some of the medically qualified relatives seem less patient. 
I had one of the interesting side effects of my blood medication yesterday. I had a nose bleed. It really flows when you are taking anticoagulants. The only thing that works for me (yes I have tried the online suggestions) is to stuff my nostril with ice. We have an ice tray that makes bullet shaped ice perfectly sized for my nostril. Aditi said they came with the small freezer we bought during lockdown. 
I can’t seem to get started on anything to do with my train hobby but Aditi has asked me to sort out our “big” camera. It shouldn’t be difficult as it probably just needs charging, and I know it was put away with its charger and leads. The other thing I have decided to do inspired by Dick’s @Smiffy2 guitar photos is sort out why an electric guitar I bought some years ago hums. Not a lot, but more than it should. There are lots  of “how to” videos online. Even specifically for the model of guitar I have. Once upon a time I had hopes of learning to play but exhibited very little ability. Anyway this will be an electrical mystery to solve not musical. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Hroth said:

I was browsing early music performances on utoob and came across this collection of snippets from David Munrows "Early Music Instruments" series from 1976.

I thought @southern42 might be amused!

More snippets from the series:

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLv8IDw-oVSdATBkyLqOGB5kxxtZtvNS88

And from where do you think I got my pipe blowing inspiration? 😉 He was one of my music study period faves back in the 60s-70s! A shame he died so young.

These days I look to Calan, who were also one of our departed drivellers, Chrisf's faves.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Smiffy2 said:

What sort of guitar? What are the pickups?

It is a Yamaha Pacifica. It didn’t always hum and it stops if you touch the metalwork so I am going to see if I can find a bad earth connection. The pickups are the original Yamaha, neck and middle are single types and the bridge one is a double coil type. 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3

... spreading expectations for first years for teaching (i.e. messages saying turn up and do the work). In some cases I’m just wasting electrons. They’ll soon realise that I’m getting serious. Summons for interview is one of the things that may be said. I don’t care what they think, I just want them to pass. ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2024/01/21/covid-enquiries-blame-and-lack-of-trust-and-still-marking/

• Friendly/supportive 15

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

It is a Yamaha Pacifica. It didn’t always hum and it stops if you touch the metalwork so I am going to see if I can find a bad earth connection. The pickups are the original Yamaha, neck and middle are single types and the bridge one is a double coil type. 

Sounds like a bad earth, but that's the extent of my expertise! Check that the earth wire to the tremelo claw is firm, and that the jack socket is OK. If they aren't already you might paint the single coil cavities with shielding paint.

I just finished off the red Strat:

IMG_8002.jpeg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Smiffy2 said:

Sounds like a bad earth, but that's the extent of my expertise! Check that the earth wire to the tremelo claw is firm, and that the jack socket is OK. If they aren't already you might paint the single coil cavities with shielding paint.

I just finished off the red Strat:

IMG_8002.jpeg

Here is an update. I plugged it in. No hum. How odd I thought. All I can think is that we used to have some device that the guitar detected and caused noise, perhaps like,one of those pre dect portable phones. I have given it a clean, but will do a proper job when it gets new strings. I was always scared to remove the knobs to get the bits of protective plastic remaining under them but I did that successfully using a knob puller. I found when searching for such a device that it was necessary to precede knob with guitar to avoid some unwanted results. 
I don’t normally name objects but I suppose the guitar could be Dusty as it was very dusty even having been in a bag for years. 
20240121_151950_resized_1.jpeg.f609c1409cd814752904c137234ccf4c.jpeg

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, southern42 said:

And from where do you think I got my pipe blowing inspiration? 😉 He was one of my music study period faves back in the 60s-70s! A shame he died so young.

These days I look to Calan, who were also one of our departed drivellers, Chrisf's faves.

crums!!!  A crumhorn.. or is it..  no Her Indoors says that it is a crumhorn.. I didn't know you get various shapes of crumhorn!

Baz

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, Barry O said:

crums!!!  A crumhorn.. or is it..  no Her Indoors says that it is a crumhorn.. I didn't know you get various shapes of crumhorn!

According to Wikipedia there are eight tonal ranges, from soprano to extended great bass

Pic nicked from the web

moeck-crumhorns.jpg.385d0221d82c5cd2ee16a69b97020567.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

Her indoors has said it is, in her belief a "Zhaleika".. I believe her.. she knows a fair bit about wind instruments... and percussion....

Baz

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Baz

Pibgorn

Edited by southern42
to change link
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Here is an update. I plugged it in. No hum. How odd I thought. All I can think is that we used to have some device that the guitar detected and caused noise, perhaps like,one of those pre dect portable phones. I have given it a clean, but will do a proper job when it gets new strings. I was always scared to remove the knobs to get the bits of protective plastic remaining under them but I did that successfully using a knob puller. I found when searching for such a device that it was necessary to precede knob with guitar to avoid some unwanted results. 
I don’t normally name objects but I suppose the guitar could be Dusty as it was very dusty even having been in a bag for years. 
20240121_151950_resized_1.jpeg.f609c1409cd814752904c137234ccf4c.jpeg

Looks pretty good. New strings will make a huge difference.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2