The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

14 hours ago, zarniwhoop said:

I don't think I hid from the Daleks, but I certainly hid from the cybermen.

Daleks? Cybermen? Nah, the real stuff of school nightmares were the Yeti* from the story “The Web of Fear” Even now, 56 years on, I can still clearly hear the menacing beeps as the Yeti approached through the Underground’s tunnels. And still today, watching what remains of the story (just before the explosion of home videos The Beeb wiped countless videotapes of material that would now earn them a fortune nowadays) is a little unsettling.

The staging of The Web of Fear was utterly perfect, in fact so realistic were the sets that London Transport (remember them?) wrote a very nasty letter to the Beeb accusing them of trespassing on LT property and illegally filming on the Underground. Many red faces were to be had at 55 Broadway when the Beeb pointed out that everything was shot in a studio

From what I recall** of my yoof, no-one wanted to be a playground Yeti - although we had plenty of playground Daleks*** and Cybermen. However, when The Web of Fear appeared I was going on 12 and thus was becoming more much more interested in Deborah Watling (who played Victoria) than trying to be an (ersatz) TV Yeti.

Deborah Watling! Sigh, the first of what would be many Dr Who Actresses who were to be beacons of unobtainable like (I was too young for “desire” or “lust”) during my early teenage years. Wendy Padbury…. Nicola Bryant…. Lalla Ward…. (To be curmudgeonly, stories are not the only very weak areas in the current Dr Who - it’s companions as well. The show needs more of companions like Ace [smart, tough, with more than a hint of allure] than Yaz [pathetic is the kindest thing you can say about that character])

So, boys and girls, which of The Doctor’s companion would you want to travel in time and space with?

* not Yeti really, but Yeti shaped killer robots. This 1968 Dr Who story I think has never been bettered; equalled - yes, but never bettered.

** my memory has been privatised - so it gives poor service and is expensive to maintain.

*** to become a playground Dalek, all you had to do is put your cap on backwards, stick out your right hand and stiffen your arm whilst bellowing in a gravelly voice “exterminate, exterminate”

• Like 17
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Daleks? Cybermen? Nah, the real stuff of school nightmares were the Yeti

For Dr. SWMBO it is the Weeping Angels who have turned up a couple of times now. 

For me it was the original Cybermen who only (if my memory serves) hissed menacingly by way of communication. The fact that they were infinitely more scary - as in hide behind the sofa scary - than their recent counterparts may be a factor of my age. 

6 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

to become a playground Dalek, all you had to do is put your cap on backwards, stick out your right hand and stiffen your arm whilst bellowing in a gravelly voice “exterminate, exterminate”

Hands up anyone of that generation who did not, at some point, do this.

Of Whovian companions Rose Tyler (Billie Piper) would be my preferred choice. Whilst of the “friendly aliens” the Ood stand leagues above the rest. Why can we not adopt a system where only the one holding the light may speak?  

• Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The sun was shining when I got up an hour ago, it’s chuckinitdarn now, pah! I’m going to have to time my walk to the butcher’s carefully this morning! Upon my return, WE are once again going to the Trafford Centre, as Sheila wants a look round, this could potentially be very expensive. After that, there are no firm plans, although I do plan to make a cheesecake after dinner. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Daleks? Cybermen? Nah, the real stuff of school nightmares were the Yeti* from the story “The Web of Fear

Planet of the Spiders.....

Deborah Watling! Sigh, the first of what would be many Dr Who Actresses who were to be beacons of unobtainable like (I was too young for “desire” or “lust”) during my early teenage years. 

No longer with us, sadly; she died in 2017 (the Big C), aged just 69.

So, boys and girls, which of The Doctor’s companion would you want to travel in time and space with?

Elisabeth Sladen (Sarah Jane) would be an excellent start.....

...but definitely NOT Bonnie (I'll scream n' scream n' scream and make myself sick) Langford....

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

* I wonder what BLANK actually is (although I can make a good guess) The censoring software they insist on using here makes the most uptight and prudish Victorian matron seem like a wanton libertine in comparison.

Indeed. 

There is no need for profanity in here but computers do not understand the difference between an abbreviated form of “Richard” and a slang term for a male body part. As just one example.

A hard call to make when setting filters.

I find the same as I have admin control over a Farceboop group for those interested in walking the South West Coast Path.  As one of three admins I can choose which words will trigger an alert and “hold” a post for approval. But it has to be specific. Including “hiker” will allow “Hiker” with a capital H to slip through. 

Machines cannot yet fully supplant the human brain. 

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Chuckinitdarn again here..pah! 

Forecast here following a day in the high 30's was for thunderstorms with large hailstones. Main concern going by the media coverage was not damage to cars, houses or whatever, but it might disrupt the Taylor Swift concert going on as I type this. 

I have checked the live update blog thingy that the Sydney Morning Herald has running to cover the event , and praise the lord, no hailstones so far.

https://www.smh.com.au/culture/music/taylor-swift-eras-tour-sydney-live-updates-us-pop-star-set-to-continue-australian-tour-at-accor-stadium-20240222-p5f73w.html

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3