The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Interesting……Possession, failure to secure scrap / rail materials, possibly in the 4ft, before handing back possession / worksite within the possession - for normal operation at line speed, struck by train at 90mph, train derailed towards 6 ft (foul to gauge of oposite road ) smashed up sleepers and ….catapulted rail onto neighbouring property…..allegedly…

Photo shows one wheel, derailed in between the conductor rail and the running rail, the juice rail is displaced onto the deck, with the sleeper end broken. Damage to the wheel tyre from running derailed. Luck no one hurt. Lucky ‘object’ did go up through the floor of the train….luck that no train passing at line speed on oposite road, at time of derailment, with derailed train foul to gauge.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-68466494

Long possessions, with long work sites with inadequate numbers of suitably trained and competent staff to physically check and ensure that worksites and possessions are walked and visually checked…prior to hand back. See it loads. 

Bear predicts HMRI/HSE are gonna be all over that one like a rash - not to mention the Plod....

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Choice of dinner tonight was pulled pork or liver and bacon. I settled for the pulled pork and very nice it was too. Now to tackle Farcebook, be back later.

• Like 17

Mmmmmmmm pulled pork…..😋..

I can’t mention what I actually had, because I don’t want to upset a distant, distant relation…who isn’t allowed to have any. 

Particularly the non straight ones…like I had. 

• Like 17
  • Funny 2

I know what you mean, I’m off shift tomorrow, but it still sometimes feels like I’m bunking off school, because it is midweek.

Edited by Grizz
Added a bit
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Sadly I made a fundamental error with my original one. I stuffed what I thought was a loose fitted banger down the end and lit it. But the strike shell didn’t fire it clear of the end of the barrel and it blew it to bits. 

Years later I bought a couple of replacements through auction. Number one cub and I had great fun with them when he was young. 

Edited by Grizz
Spelling auto correct
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium
On 03/03/2024 at 16:49, iL Dottore said:

Blunt Scalpel of the Döctörs of Destructiön (possibly @iL Dottore) on lead guitar.

_64ce9c49-81b4-4774-80ad-8f34aedba2e5.jpg.7215708e5c09f563d8168223d391063a.jpg

Like all guitarists of that generation, Blunt Scalpel went through the obligatory "Indian Mysticism" phase....

The use of the “Rock Umlaut” has not göne unnoticed. 

As used by the likes of Motörhead for effect more than for pronunciation. 

I sometimes reflect upon what words might have passed between Lemmy and myself. We yelled at each other over pints in the Ruskin Arms (London E12; a famed hard-rock venue in its day) but truthfully could never really hear each other above the band. 

In any case the sum total of the late Mr Kilmister’s “conversation” was often no more than a husky “alright?”  

Ah the days. Puppers et al might in passing care to note that the younger and carefree Gwiwer - complete with waist-length pony—tail - was the only non-biker in the place and the only one not wearing leathers. Patchouly was optional 🤣

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Mmmmmmmm pulled pork…..😋..

I can’t mention what I actually had, because I don’t want to upset a distant, distant relation…who isn’t allowed to have any. 

😢

Particularly the non straight ones…like I had. 

Curly Wurly?

ION.....

This afternoon's highlight was sorting muddlin' "stuff" - 95% done, so almost a Tick awarded.  No wandering achieved - hopefully I'll make up for it tomorrow; I am still behaving like A Good Bear when it comes to scoff though......honest guv.....

Cruise Liners?  Not for this Bear - if I go somewhere I want to be able to explore at my own pace and not worry about clock watching and having to be back onboard at X o'clock.

On the subject of Hols though - no idea what the plan is for this year where to (hopefully) visit; I do like the idea of minimum aggro/preferably no bluddy hire car/outside the UK/enough to do (ideally) in one place/airport not too far from the destination/not sitting around on beaches etc./good chance of reasonable weather/not long haul.....

Venice ticked all these boxes - but since I've been there three times now in recent years I reckon it's time for a change.

Suggestions welcome please.....

BG

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I had the 155mm Atomic Cannon.

All I had was a 25 pdr field gun.

But you could put caps in the breech to make it go bang and matchsticks down the barrel....

Still got it!

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

It seems my p.a. skills might have been needed. 

During Reading Festival when the teeming hordes of testosterone and Chanel were bound for that event the platform announcements were 

Royal Ascot brought out the well-heeled and well-endowed (i.e. having multiple credit cards). Champagne breakfast parties on the platform were de rigeur.  Lady’s Day was the best. No matter what the weather there were minuscule frocks and faintly ridiculous fascinators. Unless you had a Royal Enclosure pass in which case it was a bit more discreet and sober. Chaps in toppers and hired suits …..  

Aside from working the crowd by shoving the microphone up their noses and asking for their race tips I wasn’t averse to asking what they were drinking 

- “Good morning madam. Very pretty in pink there. What’s in the can this morning?”

- (flustered and flattered mode) “This one’s a merlot”

- “Ladies and Gentlemen “Merlot Lady” is here this morning. Let’s giver her a big cheer”

And they did

When the train arrived it was a case of “All runners and riders to the yellow line please. No stepping over the yellow line until I say so. ……. NOW!  Go on Sir, squeeze up tight, your lady won’t object!  Shake hands with a stranger as you board.”

”Ladies and Gents the white bat is up and they’re under starter’s orders. And they’re off!  The 8.28 is off and running. The early leader is Richmond followed by Twickenham then Feltham and Staines. Close behind it’s Egham then Virginua Water with Sunningdale trailing behind Longcross and last of that pack it’s Royal Ascot who is the back marker at the moment …..”

I was fortunate in my commuting days to be going against the race day flow. Too early in the morning, of course, but Reading-bound in the evening one would see the hordes at Ascot and, if lucky, the Pullman. There would be a few uncertainly-clad inebriates heading back Reading-wards, with their lads looking uncomfortable in morning dress, and a smattering of Irish touts and bookies.

• Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

uncertainly-clad inebriates

That is perhaps the finest description I have yet come across to describe them!  

Freezing, drunk, barely dressed, falling everywhere, well past caring who might see what that should not be showing. 

And their uncomfortable and embarrassed chaps in, as you say, morning suits by now in need of a very good deep clean before going back to the hire-shop. And also often drunk, relieving themselves liberally in full sight of everyone whilst trying to drag or cajole their uncertainly-clad inebriate ladies safely home.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1