The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Now, before @polybear, weighs in and says “yes iD IS picky” …..

As if Bear would…..

4 hours ago, Grizz said:

Did I mention the….Custardy Goodness? 

You may have snuck it in….

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. A couple of items arrived in the post this morning, one unmentionable and a magazine. Now time for lunch and some retail therapy this afternoon. 

You mean the S word? 😩

• Like 2
  • Funny 15

4 hours ago, southern42 said:

We watched Father Brown 

The new (23/24) series or the older series?

I think that the current Father Brown series isn't a patch on the previous series. When the actress playing Mrs MCarthy left (retired?) and they swapped the posh girls for some gobby orphan and an unbelievable love interest for the inspector, then the series became even more implausible than it used to be.

Currently filling the spot of "undemanding, lightweight, fun entertainment" is the Sister Boniface series (but even that pushes credulity a bit too far: the episode I watched yesterday featured a 60s "pop group" with a one armed actor playing a guitarist! Not a drummer - like the fellow in the real life band Def Leppard - but a guitarist?)

Suspension of disbelief is all very well and good, but when you have something like a pannier tank hauling "a crack express" or a Morris Minor chasing (and catching) something like an E-Type Jaguar, then any semblance of reality evaporates - leaving the programme to succeed or fail on the acting and/or writing.

Victoria Wood's Acorn Antiques may have been an affectionate pastiche of bad daytime TV, but is still spot-on even in these days of AI, green screen CGI and the like.

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Some people will GET OUT of a boat to walk across the aqueduck rather than even look across from the complete safety of inside the cabin or even the front cockpit of a boat.  I suppose there is the illusory safety of having the railings on the towpath side to cling onto if overcome by vertigo.  What they don't realise is that the towpath is cantilevered out over the trough,  about a foot above the water, so they're actually walking on thin air. I wonder if they'd walk across if it was one of those glass pathways. Its a clever design feature that allows the water to flow around the boat, otherwise a boat progressing towards Llangollen would actually be pushing water over the side of the trough....

One interesting thing is that the canal has a distinct current running from just above Llangollen where water flows in from the Dee, progressing all the way to the junction with the Shroppie at Hurleston, where there is a reservoir to capture the excess water. The other interesting thing is that the Dee falls 126 feet from where it meets the head of the canal at Llantysilio to where the aqueduct passes over it, a mere 6 miles or so...

I've never been across the aquaduct in a boat but I have walked across a couple of times without feeling bothered about the height.  It surprised me as I have always been uncomfortable when using cable cars and accidently looking down to the ground.  I also don't like like looking down from clifftops even though I usually walk along cliffs at least once a week.

David

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

with a one armed actor playing a guitarist! Not a drummer

If you use Google it isn’t hard to find articles about the one armed musician Max Runham who also acts. 

Most crime series on TV require some suspension of belief as part of being entertainment rather than documentary. If it is consistent poor research and irritating I wouldn’t bother to watch. Once upon a time if I started reading a book or watching a film I would finish it. Now if I lose interest, I will leave it unfinished. 

• Like 12
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Grizz said:

Oh yes…yes they did! And they had quite a few…and they know…they know the custardy goodness is my kryptonite! ….mmmmmmm custardy goodness. 

I didn’t in fact complain….. I stayed strong. So strong in fact that I strolled by with my gaze fixed in opposite direction. In fact I strolled so far that I ended up in the beer and ale section. It was then that my strength failed me. 

So I left with a dozen bottles of ale……..

The evidence. 

IMG_5568.jpeg.f241e041012a239f5130409841049b56.jpeg

Well I suppose one out of two isn't too bad.

What good a Grizz you were.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Its a Webber Q  and  cooks consistently - 2.30  minutes each side for medium rare and came out exactly as expected!

image.png.5904c2c1569a42573d5b5da7d709663f.png

Hmm broccoli. No white sauce though?

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I've never been across the aquaduct in a boat but I have walked across a couple of times without feeling bothered about the height.  It surprised me as I have always been uncomfortable when using cable cars and accidently looking down to the ground.  I also don't like like looking down from clifftops even though I usually walk along cliffs at least once a week.

David

Rather Silly Bear once did this (Seoul, Jan 2019) - 486m straight down.....

It "took a while" to do though - about 20 minutes IIRC

IMG_0725.JPG.0335d73a60d7f3b024433166d446e6a2.JPG

IMG_0730.JPG.bbfee7601709405d0915750f38b9a4cd.JPG

• Like 13

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

A picture of two  of that hairy plane that passed by us yesterday, it's a lot higher in this shot.

image.png.22981b174d69e89154c49ca6afb26cd3.png

image.png.ea8c8bd7a3bc2bca40069e8aa63ccf69.png

I seem to recall, can't remember where I'm afraid, that this is the plane that keeps breaking down and doesn't fly as far as the Hercules the RAF actually wanted. 

• Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Mother, Grandmother and Aunt(s) were ALL bad cooks 

Yup.  Every last one of them.  

Mother swore that nothing was cooked unless cremated or too soft to lift with a fork.  Toast - brittle and black.  Potatoes (boiled) - floury and almost self-mashing.  Coffee - always made with boiling milk so it had a skin on by the time the cup was presented to you.  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

1 minute ago, polybear said:

IMG_0725.JPG.0335d73a60d7f3b024433166d446e6a2.JPG

IMG_0730.JPG.bbfee7601709405d0915750f38b9a4cd.JPG

You can do that at/on/up? Blackpool tower. Not me though.

• Like 7
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, polybear said:

I like to tell people what a fascinating substance glass is, and how it is classed as an amorphous solid …

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 9

5 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I like to tell people what a fascinating substance glass is, and how it is classed as an amorphous solid …

Is this before or after they've been thrown through some?

• Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Suspension of disbelief is all very well and good, but when you have something  like a Morris Minor chasing (and catching) something like an E-Type Jaguar, then any semblance of reality evaporates -

That can depend on the Morris Minor , this one is well capable of catching an E type , the 

dial in the middle is the speedo not a rev clock .

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4