RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Looks like ER is doing it's mental hiccups again.  Pages 12853/4 are identical at present...

Update:  Now its been forced onto a new page, I think its re-indexed itself. 

Edited by Hroth
  • Friendly/supportive 11

4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

It always amuses me to see various posters on ER go on about “posh” supermarkets, shops, restaurants and the like.

There certainly are "high-end" / boutique supermarkets in the US.

There are real strata for supermarkets in the US - while many will carry the same basic shelf-stable items, price-points, particularly for specialty items will vary dramatically:

• budget
  • box-marts with a food section - Walmart, Target
  • semi-national large chains (historically regional where most people traditionally shopped)
  • Small chains focused outside major metropolitan areas
  • larger high-end chains (often absorbed into the semi-national chain corporations (like Whole Foods / Amazon)
  • boutique small chains

The biggest differences are observable in specialty areas like the fish counter, meat counter, bakery and delicatessen.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 11

@Flanged Wheel PM me if I can provide any (vaguely, barely resembling an) insider tips.

19 minutes ago, Flanged Wheel said:

Our eldest son loves history and is very excited by the prospect so I suspect that we will be seeking out the air-conditioned museums. These days, our children are generally better behaved than I am…

The Tokyo museums are superb (and - if I may be contrarian - have managed NOT to go “woke” and spoil things).

One of the delights for children (and not just children it has to be said) are the Gachapon: little plastic spheres containing a collectable ranging from the weird (cat kitchen appliances) to the wonderful (miniature replicas of famous Japanese landmarks). They normally cost between ¥200 (£1) and ¥500 (£2.60), a few cost as much as ¥1000 (£5.22) and some require intricate assembly.

The reason I mention them is that at the museums the Gachapon they sell tend to tie in with the museums’ subjects (at the Tokyo Natural History Museum there was a range of Gachapon of the dinosaurs in the museum’s collection) .

The Tokyo Metro (Underground Railway) Museum is a small delight and has a HUGE N-Gauge model railway representing a small slice of Tokyo. If you want to see it in action, check the running times as it is run only at certain times of the day.

The Pot Noodle Museum (I went to the one in Osaka) is also fun. There’s one in Yokohama near Tokyo.

35 minutes ago, Flanged Wheel said:

Thank you @iL Dottore for the other top tips too! I have to say that we were encouraged to visit by your reports of last year’s trip

That’s very flattering and kind of you to say so.

If I may offer one or two other tips:

• if you can, go very early or very late in the day to the most popular sights. They are definitely worth seeing, although the undisciplined mob of tourists, not so much. If you can visit outside the peak visiting hours (and the place is open) it’s very rewarding. Some Shinto shrines are open 24/7 and are magical at night.
  • Be a bit leery about organised tours, they can be very much The Proverbial Curate’s Egg. One “food tour” I went on was great (Osaka), the other (Tokyo) rather pathetic - both, surprisingly, organised by the same company. I suspect how one views the tour depends upon how knowledgeable one is about Japanese food.
  • A private tour guide can be an affordable luxury for a day (I had a couple during my visit), generally good but some get lost as to what to cover if you do know something about Japan.

I enjoyed my trip so much that I’ll be going back in Autumn to Northern Honshu, thence to Hokkaido and finally a dash down to either Kyushu or Shikoku.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

36 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Latterly Dr. SWMBO decided to try a newly-opened Lidl in Fulwell.  Much the same there, we found, except the prices were cheaper and some of the food was simply awful in quality.  

Try Aldi, having seen evidence of Waitrose packaging turning up in an Aldi it would appear that fresh veg and fruit come from the same supplier and you can add Sainsburys to that list as well probably.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Not these days but there used to be.  I have - in my school days - had one or two of these and become frustrated at not being able to "cop" more than a handful of vessels.  I now know that the same few vessels always worked the same "runs" so it was normal to see the Winchesterbrook or the Ian M multiple times a year whereas a trip into town might mean I could see a different "Western" or "Warship" almost every time.  

Screenshot2024-03-19at16_41_57.png.21b846d5db43cf5145c29e0700da8e33.png

It is the same when I go down to my local harbour, there is a limited range of likely ships, mainly support ships, Arklow ships, A2B ships and so on.  Even the other ships  such as small tankers, cement carriers etc repeat regularly.

David

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Not these days but there used to be.  I have - in my school days - had one or two of these and become frustrated at not being able to "cop" more than a handful of vessels.  I now know that the same few vessels always worked the same "runs" so it was normal to see the Winchesterbrook or the Ian M multiple times a year whereas a trip into town might mean I could see a different "Western" or "Warship" almost every time.  

Screenshot2024-03-19at16_42_24.png.9070d073aa84d3e0323542b0e6633e10.png

Screenshot2024-03-19at16_41_57.png.21b846d5db43cf5145c29e0700da8e33.png

Those bring a tiny tear of regret for those lost years of late childhood (before adolescence hit with all the force of a runaway, nitroglycerin stuffed, 18-wheeler), when all was right with the world.

Old enough to be independent, young enough not to have to worry about females and other adult ”responsibilities”. And, as you have illustrated by those book covers, a life full of interesting things to read about, hope to see and learn more about.

I pity kids nowadays, unless incredibly lucky in their choice of parents, they’re doomed to a life glued to a smartphone, their existence dictated to by “influencers” and the self-appointed professionally offended.

The internet’s fine, it’s the soschul meejia that’s gonna b****r-up the grandkids…

• Like 6
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

A definition of posh .

A B&B establishment is , a room with the usual facilities , a breakfast with

all the usual parts , eg, juices , cereal , fry up , toast , tea or coffee .

The locations . Two coastal resorts .

Blackpool ,   £15 per person per night .

Bournemouth , £32 per person per night .

Both do what they say .

Which should be defined as posh ????? 

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Try Aldi, having seen evidence of Waitrose packaging turning up in an Aldi it would appear that fresh veg and fruit come from the same supplier and you can add Sainsburys to that list as well probably.

Maybe, maybe not.

I don't often go to Waitrose, except in January when I'm looking for the first blood oranges. The supply of those at the nearest (smallish) branch can be a bit erratic but I can usually get some before Sains' and Tess'. The last time I went there they didn't have any - but some very small items were in the citrus shelves. On one side it said blood oranges from (Supplier name's) Sicily supplier. I was dubious at the small size of them, and turned the label over - pink onions from the same supplier's Brittany supplier!

I'm sure much of it does come from the same suppliers or wholesalers, but other things (the fruits and vegetables which are less common in this country's supermarkets) do differ. While I would not look for pink onions, apart from that one occasion I've never noticed them anywhere.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

"The Pot Noodle Museum"  and "I went to the one in Osaka"  (said  il Dottore)  now  that has to be an oxymoron doesn't it? 🤣

image.png.097d92181429a5a7a506fc3412cc8354.png

Err, no.

Just like the Wehrmacht Generals had “friendly visits” to other armies for the purpose of sussing out what any future enemy is up to, so I scoped out the whole pot noodle business.

I am sure that you won’t be surprised to learn that the Japanese Pot Noodles (made by the Japanese, for the Japanese and [mostly] only available in Japan) are miles ahead light years ahead of anything sold in Europe. 

In the DIY “build your own pot of pot noodles” hands-on section for kids, the ingredients you could choose from were various freeze dried veggies, fish and meat.

In the name of Scientific Research I did once have a seafood pot noodle from a Kombini (it was about £5) and it actually tasted of dashi, noodles and seafood. It was certainly much more than edible (unlike the cheapo pot noodles in Europe but quality isn’t cheap: the most expensive pot noodle I saw in a Kombini was about £10). As interesting and enjoyable as it was, it’s not something I wish to eat many of.

Pot Noodles are produced and sold widely around the world and according to the Observer food critic Jay Rayner, there is a hierarchy of pot noodles with the best being considered the Japanese pot noodle.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5

6 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Hook, Line and Sinker 🤣

Maybe so.

But the Japanese can turn junk food into superb dishes. You have KFC, the Japanese have Karaage - proper fried chicken for Grown Ups!

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Hook, Line and Sinker 🤣

Rod, reel, fisherman's hand, fisherman's arm, fisherman's stool.....

Baz

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Hroth said:

Looks like ER is doing it's mental hiccups again.  Pages 12853/4 are identical at present...

Update:  Now its been forced onto a new page, I think its re-indexed itself. 

It was very slow to load this morning and then it went down for a couple of minutes after which it was back up to speed.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. After doing the shopping this afternoon I started sorting out a few things on the car while it was still light. The boot light wasn't working, more than likely a blown bulb so I'll have to source a replacement. While fiddling around in the boot I came across another lighter socket, obviously for powering things like cool boxes. I will not be using it for that but its handy for the electric tyre pump if I need to pump up the back tyres.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

One big difference between a lot of Asian (including Japanese) chicken dishes is they tend to go for chicken thighs and/or meat on the bone in preference to breast meat. The thighs have a more developed flavour rather than the blandness of breast meat.

Instant noodles are probably second only to rice as the dietary staple of SE and East Asia. 

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5