Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Who broke RMWeb then??

It’s been very slow and uncertain for a while now. 

I suspect our esteemed Mr York is on overtime again trying to sort things out. 

It’s been so slow that many attempts at posting or reading have timed out, it has also produced strange effects such as random duplication and “condensed” type where several lines of text appear to be overtyped across others. And there’s the banner about the classifieds being out of order. 

How long until the next Great Outage, I wonder?  Hopefully without loss of content this time. 

• Agree 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

On a sailing equivalent of ER, someone said no "2 stroke engine" had a decent engine sound, and they all sounded "tinny and revy" so I contributed a YouTube of  Napier Deltic🙂 plus a link to the wiki on Deltic engines.

Add the Commer TS3 truck engine to that.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It is indeed woeful mismanagement by the funeral directors. Much depends on one's perspective regarding cremains.

From the local news reports it looks as if this may prove to be a lot more serious than mismanagement.  

• Agree 13

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

[Titanium] Implants may be returned to the family, but are more commonly sold as ferrous/non-ferrous scrap metal. After the remains are processed, smaller bits of metal such as tooth fillings, and rings (commonly known as gleanings) are sieved out and may be later interred in common, consecrated ground in a remote area of the cemetery. They may also be sold as precious metal scrap.

IIRC here in the UK precious metals recovered from cremated remains should be returned to the family and it is usual practice to remove items such as rings beforehand. Implants and artificial joints do go for scrap, usually to make more artificial joints.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

7 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

I had to go to the Big City yesterday morning to deal with some HSBC business - as they have closed the Bright Lights of Ramsey branch for our convenience and to provide a better service - now a 44 mile round trip, pah. 🤬 Anyway, the road I wanted to go down was closed with a huge police presence, with UK registered police vans....hmm. 

Turns out the British Queen (to me marrying the King does not make her a Queen, but that's for elsewhere) was visiting to officially bestow city status onto the Big City. Oh while I'm on, she's not the Queen of the Isle of Man BTW, neither is the King, the King - the Lord of Man yes, but not the King. Its complicated. Anyway, huge crowds of at least err some schoolkids were there to greet her and make access to town difficult. Didn't even make national BBC news although it was on regional.  I bet that's the police overtime bill shredded for the month.

So we now officially have two cities, Peel that has a Cathedral, and Douglas which doesn't, but is the capital.  All for 85,000 people! 🤔 I wonder what advantage that will bestow upon Douglas.....#waiting#......🤣

Not much I'm afraid we have two cathedrals in Manutopea. One in the city where I live, Salford and another in our upstart of a neighbour, Manchester. It doesn't stop them referring to Salford though as a borough of Manchester or if it's a really bad day town. .......

#exasperated#.....

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Several interruptions last night from Arthur Itis but none from bladder control, probably because I took the opportunity to visit the bathroom when A.I. woke me up. The call from the doctor is due in ten minutes so now waiting by the phone.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

I did get up early this morning (honest), but small tasks, refilling soap bottles emptying the recycling bags etc, just seem to have got in the way of getting on here. So I've finally made it downstairs and onto the computer. There isn't much planned for today, well this morning to be honest, as Sheila has a 4 o'clock appointment at the eye hospital, so we'll need to leave home aboutb2:30 to give us plenty of time to find a parking space and walk to the clinic. So this morning is just a case of some unspecified pottering in the cellar railway room. I've thought of a suitable place to store the excess flooring, it can go where I am currently storing all my boxes of track, as I'll be using that in the not too distant future! I just need to move a couple of boxes first.

Back later.

Brian

• Like 19

THE POLY BEAR CHRONICLES

Ah yes, Poly Bear (or as he was once known as: Ernst Alfred Hermann Fürst Freiherr von und zu Brummbär-Guttenberg)

We on ER know about @polybear's estrangement from his fiancée Alexandra Sophie Cecilie Anna Maria Friederike Benigna Dorothea Prinzessin und Freifräulein von Rügen and from his father, Karl Ludwig Graf von und zu Brummbär-Guttenberg. We know about his wild years in Hamburg and about how he found redemption and a new purpose in life during The Lost Japanese Years (where he made some handy cash - not all of it completely Kosher).

Now, thanks to Captain Cynical's CCI GmbH DeepWeb-Investigations, we have learnt a lot more about the young PB.

He was a much awaited cub, after four sisters the Graf was finally had a heir with the late arrival of his only son Ernst Alfred (aka PB). This little cub was doted on and indulged in:

_5956d53f-bad1-4305-892a-ac4935324f43.jpg.695dc715510556004367de5a13a83615.jpg

After a happy childhood, he was packed off to Boarding School in the UK - to the very exclusive St Cuthberts - aka St Cake's (fees currently start at £150,000 per term). As bright as he was, he was NOT a studious or good pupil...

_8d7d830b-4191-4ebc-a653-8bbe09e45233.jpg.96c36c7006400b5c66a6ef0b7294edc5.jpg

Far preferring to "play with trains" than learn Latin.

However, of note during this period was his creation of the influential St Cake's Chip Club...

_3f9e6aa4-e51c-46e3-bd26-6909821e53fc.jpg.e1a3678e9fb1f915eb349eaa1f6b506d.jpg

Whose members have gone on to become powerful and influential figures in the worlds of politics, finance, industry and diplomacy (but not PB - as we will soon see why).

Despite doing poorly at school, he continued to be indulged in by his father, who would take time from his busy work schedule to fly PB to various Model Railway Shows around the world.

_38a7565f-beba-4085-bf05-82d0a2104c3f.jpg.bee0269cf083263b57be4b4080521e04.jpg

Then Puberty hit and it hit hard. At first PB tried to be a good, dutiful, son and attended a number of his father's exclusive society soirées....

_6e2af406-be18-47d9-b1b6-2953067eae21.jpg.5fdc27be72132a111b3dd6b57bebd6b4.jpg

But his hooligan side (inherited from the "black bear" of the family: Albert Macklethwaite, dissolute third son of the Earl of Bear) could not be tamed, controlled or restrained and PB started to hang out with other - like minded - hooligans at expensive AND disreputable places like The @PupCamDive and Speakeasy, The Bent Copper Club (supposedly belonging to a certain senior policeman - rumoured to be  @jamie92208 ) - or the most infamous one of all @iL Dottore's Palace of Medicinal Pleasures.

punks.jpg.7e0971c33bdc2cdd85bfe029b838f2d3.jpg

From there - as we know - things just went downhill: the Hamburg Years, the all-night baked-bean and curly fries benders and the eventual erasure of his existence from the von und zu Brummbär-Guttenberg family.

And then, Japan, Captain Cynical, ERs and redemption.

He may no longer be the incredibly wealthy heir to the huge Graf von und zu Brummbär-Guttenberg financial, industrial and property empire; he is - perhaps - something better: a true Early Risers eccentric.

Edited by iL Dottore
Removed duplicate image
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 7
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I knew a "von und zu" once - it was generally supposed that such people were born clutching a first class return ticket...

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

@BSW01 don’t forget sunglasses for Sheila if they are going to dilate her pupils.  Mrs W made that painful mistake once.

Thanks, but Sheila ALWAYS carries her sunglasses with her, regardless of the weather conditions!

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

All the excess flooring is now safely stored in the underfloor storage area. This is accessed by the small hatch in the cellar. Once done, I rearranged the order of the boxes, so that the 2 boxes, 1 containing all the track and the other points are near the front, so I don't have go back into the storage area to get them! They are literally just behind the door! Next week I'll do another tip run, as there are now a couple of items that are surplus to requirements.

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Turns out the British Queen (to me marrying the King does not make her a Queen, but that's for elsewhere) was visiting to officially bestow city status onto the Big City. Oh while I'm on, she's not the Queen of the Isle of Man BTW, neither is the King, the King - the Lord of Man yes, but not the King. Its complicated.

That would make her the Lady of Man, surely?

When Queen Mary I of England, France, and Ireland married King Philip II of Spain, not only did he adopt the style King of England, France, Spain, and Ireland but she adopted all his titles and hence was such things as Duchess of Milan and Queen of Jerusalem. 

But anyway, isn't it high time the island was renamed to something less offensively gender-specific? The Isle of Person? Then we could have a bit more variety in those legs... 

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Funny 16