The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Portland is contemplating experimenting with a speed-sensitive traffic light timing sequence - in 'high-crash' corridors where most of the pedestrian fatalities occur.

Cars detected as speeding will be presented with a red light at the next intersection. 

I couldn't say whether the timings are well designed to permit free flowing traffic at the speed limit on those streets but I have encountered places where they are.

Very much less sophisticated but very effective: a town near where I lived in Germany had a main street with 6 or 7 sets of lights for intersections and crossings.   The speed limit was 50kph (30mph).  They introduced the Grüne Welle (Green wave)  Travel at 40kph and you would guarantee that every light would change to green just before you got there.  Travel at 50 (still within the limit) and you were guaranteed the lights would still be at red as you got to them.

It actually worked and only needed a timing sequence to be effective.  

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

15 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

Very much less sophisticated but very effective: a town near where I lived in Germany had a main street with 6 or 7 sets of lights for intersections and crossings.   The speed limit was 50kph (30mph).  They introduced the Grüne Welle (Green wave)  Travel at 40kph and you would guarantee that every light would change to green just before you got there.  Travel at 50 (still within the limit) and you were guaranteed the lights would still be at red as you got to them.

Slough used to have this sort of scheme - if you travelled at 25mph

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

You would be lucky to travel through Slough now at 25mph. More like 2.5mph on the times I have had to go through 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

"Professional Uni Student" at the Taxpayer's expense perhaps - with no hope of ever being able to (or intending) to repay the loan?  Be interesting to know just how many courses they've done, what they were and how old the person is.......

We had one of those when I was at the Kolledge of Nollidge as a Merchant Navy officer cadet, he was on his third attempt to pass the final year (engineering).  No realistic company (we were all employees - paid) would put up with such behaviour, but he was Libyan and worked for their equivalent (allegedly) of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary.  He was quite a character to say the least, so laid back he would fall over, had loads of cash, a fancy car (an X1/9 when they were new...on a cadet's wages?).  We always wondered what he really was there for.  He was sort of the course mascot, everyone got on really well with him, lecturers included.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Seven years for 3 lives?  Seems a tad light to this Bear 🤬

1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

Your neighbours should pay your surveyor's costs as well as their own, whether you opt to choose your own surveyor or go with the one your neighbour is using.

If you have a Surveyor then definitely a separate one - otherwise there's a very real risk of conflict of interest.

2 hours ago, The Lurker said:

ION new next door neighbours (on the other side) are having an extension. we got the planning permission notice on Wednesday and two letters from different firms of solicitors offering us their Party Wall Agreement services. One says that the costs are "usually" paid by the person having the extension. But I do need to be pro-active or should I expect the next door neighbours and their architect/builder to be already doing this? Neighbours are so new that "good morning" is all I have said to them, on the one occasion I have actually seen them!

I'd look at the plans & talk to the new Neighbours to see what's involved first - if it's an "ordinary" single story bung it on the back extension etc. then chances are it'll be now't to worry about (but think about access to shared drains etc. - do they have the manhole covers - and will they be building over them etc.) and also things like how close to the fence they'll be building - and will you still be able to access the fence for maintenance etc.?  Also drainpipes.  Costing the new Neighbours £X thousand for unnecessary professional fees won't be the best way to start good relations.

If it's more extensive than that - double height, messing with the roof (if the houses are terraced), changes to party walls etc. then I'd be a lot more concerned to protect your own interests.  Then they can have the bill and lump it.  HTH

• Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

We had one of those when I was at the Kolledge of Nollidge as a Merchant Navy officer cadet, he was on his third attempt to pass the final year (engineering).  No realistic company (we were all employees - paid) would put up with such behaviour, but he was Libyan and worked for their equivalent (allegedly) of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary.  He was quite a character to say the least, so laid back he would fall over, had loads of cash, a fancy car (an X1/9 when they were new...on a cadet's wages?).  We always wondered what he really was there for.  He was sort of the course mascot, everyone got on really well with him, lecturers included.

There were a few Libyans at Bear's old College (I'd left by then) when the US bombed Libya (1986); I heard they did a disappearing act and the word on the street was the Gov didn't even know they were in the Country.....

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, The Lurker said:

ION new next door neighbours (on the other side) are having an extension. we got the planning permission notice on Wednesday and two letters from different firms of solicitors offering us their Party Wall Agreement services. One says that the costs are "usually" paid by the person having the extension. But I do need to be pro-active or should I expect the next door neighbours and their architect/builder to be already doing this? Neighbours are so new that "good morning" is all I have said to them, on the one occasion I have actually seen them!

Tread carefully. Two doors down from our daughter the new occupants decided to build a basement. The next door conservatory decided it was too heavy and started to move. Has turned into a very acrimonious situation. I wonder why the bothered buying the house as knowing the ground conditions there I think they could end up with an underground swimming pool.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 13
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, polybear said:

There were a few Libyans at Bear's old College (I'd left by then) when the US bombed Libya (1986); I heard they did a disappearing act and the word on the street was the Gov didn't even know they were in the Country.....

This was 79, IIRC.  I'm sure he was up to no good, but how anything we dealt with would be of value escapes me.  he certainly liked a drink, and suspect other smoky stuff too.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Bradford installed one on the new inner ring road in the mid 80's.  Set to about 37 in a 40 limit. It worked. 

Jamie

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

This was 79, IIRC.  I'm sure he was up to no good, but how anything we dealt with would be of value escapes me.  he certainly liked a drink, and suspect other smoky stuff too.

Sounds to me like he was sent out of the country because he'd blotted his copybook and got in trouble. Probably the son of some official who had enough 'pull' to get him on the course no matter what and sufficient funds to pay for him to not live like a student.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

10 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Bradford installed one on the new inner ring road in the mid 80's.  Set to about 37 in a 40 limit. It worked. 

Jamie

There's a set of four lights near me which if you keep below the speed limit you'll get through three of them but not the fourth.

Only problem is the pr£ts speed up when they see the green light, get through only to be stopped at the next one which is of course on red.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I went shopping at Tess Coes this afternoon. I timed it for 4 PM when the little darlings were home from school. Big mistake, many schools broke up today for the Easter break and Tess Coes car park was full of Chelsea tractors. I only went for the basics anyway and I used the auto tills as you can take your time bagging up and loading it back into the trolly. The staffed tills they push the stuff through too fast for you to pack properly.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

23 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I went shopping at Tess Coes this afternoon. I timed it for 4 PM when the little darlings were home from school. Big mistake, many schools broke up today for the Easter break and Tess Coes car park was full of Chelsea tractors. I only went for the basics anyway and I used the auto tills as you can take your time bagging up and loading it back into the trolly. The staffed tills they push the stuff through too fast for you to pack properly.

You have to pack your own bags at the checkout? Apart from ALDI the checkout operators do  that - much better than I could!

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

You have to pack your own bags at the checkout? Apart from ALDI the checkout operators do  that - much better than I could!

You have to request help with packing in most UK supermarkets, if it is available.

• Agree 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

42 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

You have to request help with packing in most UK supermarkets, if it is available.

The operator has a little carousel with 2 or 3 bags on it, they just scan then straight in the bag, scan then straight in the bag. If its a fridge item it'll go in one of the other bags, same for fruit and vegetables, the operators have had more training and practice at bagging things correctly than I have.

I and many others avoid Aldi purely because of the crush at the end with people trying to bag stuff and sort out what goes in which bag, its ridiculous and feels pretty uncivilised and almost insulting  in comparison - after spending so much in their shop they  just can't be ar5ed popping it in a bag for you? Its  long been complained about since they turned up here but they dont listen..  German multinational grocery chain... you are UnAustralian!

of course, the introduction of self-checkouts is sending us down that path unfortunately, although many people dont use them if they are buying more than half a dozen items.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 6