RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 hours ago, polybear said:

Oh yes….

I saw a certain black Bentley convertible today - the same one I’ve seen on 3 previous occasions over a number of weeks.  How do I know?  Cos’ it makes a very distinctive sound - like one of the brakes is intermittently binding.  The owner must have the IQ of a plant pot not to get that looked at.

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The chauffeur usually deals with that sort of thing y'know.😁

A well known fact, Bentley's are for those who like to drive, Rolls Royces are for those who like to be driven. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

My landrover has a variety of settings for terrain, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th ,5th gear in high and low ratios.

The limiting factor is my back, the landrover can take a lot more than I can..

Sailing went well, reasonably attended. Sunny most of the time, wind varying between not a lot and 20mph. South westerly with occasional north westerly..

Made a mistake and took the new club rowing dinghy to fetch BM, got there then found the new dinghy has no attachment point on the stern, had to tow BM across to the club with the rope tied round my waist..

Race 1, course , 3p, Xp, 2p, Xp, 1 lap

Started middle of the line perfectly on time, lead boat was up ahead and had to tack off the bank, BM arrived just as they settled on Port, so a quick shout of Starboard!, they had to tack back, IBM swept past and by the time they recovered BM was about 100yards ahead. Got most of the way up to the bend when they caught up, 

Their handicap, 14, BMs, 21, So they are 7% faster. Kept them behind for a few hundred yards, then they got past.

So after that it was just sail BM as best I could, I believe by the end BM was close enough to win on handicap.

Race 2, 2p, Xp, 1p, Xp

Nearly did the same again on the start line, but the leader just escaped, then while nearing X while it wasn't BMs next buoy a boat from 3 starts ahead, rounded it. Just above BM, so effectively they were blocking our wind, it took a couple of tacks to get clear air, by which time we'd lost a lot of ground never got near the lead boat.

Race 3, 3p, Xp, 2p, Xp

Had a good start, but was again behind the leader, then the wind dropped, their much larger sail area paid off, got left well behind, got round the first bend, then there's a section of short tacking, was glad to find BM was catching up.. not enough, once they rounded the top bouy onto the run, they just left BM behind.

Race 4 wind dropping further, 2p, Xp, 1p, 5p. This is a different grouping of boats bermudans only in this race. The gaffers started 5 minutes later.

Set off well but two boats had a better start, managed to get alongside one, but as we approached The bank, they called for water, and that then meant they were above BM on the next tack, their larger sail area really slowed BM. After that it was just chase the lead 2 boats. Never got near them. But didn't lose to much distance, it's a 50:50 whether BM got one or both or none of the lead Boats.

Generally pleased with the way BM sailed, a couple of mods to halyard system , adding cheek blocks at the bottom, then back up through a spinlock jammer made it a lot easier to raise and unexpectedly it helped to lower the sails.

Next week I hope to lean the mast a little further forward, she's still too much of a handful in a gust, measurements were taken for a wedge behind the mast to achieve this.

I'm modifying the jib attachment to the bow, a 4mm kevlar rope will go from the jib club,  round a block attached to the bow, then back into the boat. Then there will be a vang type block and tackle, to tighten to forestay / jib club ..

• Like 19

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

That’s what I posted earlier but always nice to have an expert opinion. It was fortunate that it is one of the very few plants I recall the name of. Usually I ask Aditi “what is the name of the green shrub over there?”  When asked to prune stuff, I get her to point or better still touch the plant rather than name it. 

Quite right. Can't let the apprentice or is hired help? go unsupervised can we.

Just to confuse matters Euonymus comes in different colours and sizes. There's white and green, gold and green and finally plain green.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

M'Bear's bike is a Honda CB750F, probably a D or E year model?  (Edit - they are Honda model year designations, not registration letters)  Looks nice and clean - the chaincase is an add-on, Puppers.

On the subject of Puppers, there are far too many of those Richard Heads around, they last had a bike in 1979 and now have money to buy something big and fast, but not the experience or knowledge to handle them properly.  The squeaky clear leathers are usually a clue to keep well away from them - the come here in hordes TT week, and account for a lot of the accidents.  It's easy to make them go fast, a lot harder to slow them down.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Oh yes, with bells on.  Do NOT try it unless you are happy to deal with 1 in 3 hill starts and hairpin bends on such gradients.  It is alleged to be the steepest road in Britain, although there are others as steep (Rosedale Chimney I think). 

Monty did the Hardknott Pass a few years ago.   What fun!

43 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

I got pushed off the road there last year by a Range Rover, hit a rock and smashed an alloy wheel - not happy - b'sterd didn't even stop.  Luckily I do have a spare wheel in my car. 

I always find it ironic that the off-road vehicles are (usually) the ones to force you off of the road ...

Maybe I'm just unlucky?

23 minutes ago, BoD said:

I did it on my bike.*

Once.

A long time ago.

* No CB750 (insert letters and numbers if your choice). 

No DOHCs or Carbies.

Not even an engine thingy.

Wasn't certain how to rate your post but in the end I think anyone who can do the pass without an engine thingy deserves a might big round of applause!

• Like 6
  • Agree 11

3 hours ago, DaveF said:

I saw something very unusual - 2 BMWs with working indicators, even more unusually they went in the direction they indicated.

Have you contacted the Guinness Book of Records?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

As to Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc., my father was firmly of the opinion that they weren't sports cars but street legal racing cars and, like racing cars, need to be overhauled and serviced after every use.I think he had a point.

Lamborghini was and still is a tractor manufacturer. The story goes that the owner was looking at buying a new Ferrari but decided he could build a better car so he did.

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Wasn't certain how to rate your post but in the end I think anyone who can do the pass without an engine thingy deserves a might big round of applause!

Note I did say once.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I've just heard that there's a new model shop opening near to me at Rawenth on the old A130. I might pop down there in the next week or so.

www.tierneymodelrailwayshop.com

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Lamborghini was and still is a tractor manufacturer. The story goes that the owner was looking at buying a new Ferrari but decided he could build a better car so he did.

Perhaps different rather than necessarily better?

13 minutes ago, BoD said:

Note I did say once.

Once is more than enough and worthy of applause as mentioned 😀

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Coombe Barton said:

Did Hardknott a couple of times in 1979 in a 1300 Ford Fiesta

Another one without an engine.

Well done.

• Like 1
  • Funny 16

6 hours ago, polybear said:

Oh yes, and much, much faster away from the lights than a V8 Ute.

No doubt about it!   However the risk assessment into motorbikes that I did when I first got my licence concluded that in order to ride one and feel safe  I'd need to imbue other road users and the local wildlife (especially those big bouncy ones that'll do 60kmh into your path!) with the road sense, spatial awareness and general competence that nothing since has proven them as a group to have.

At the end of the day I'll stick with something who's gravitational preference is to have 4 wheels firmly stuck on the ground, rather than lying on its side!

• Like 12
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PupCam said:

Is the fully enclosed chain standard or a Beary add-on?

It's a Beary add-on; a Peter Furlong Chain Case - fibreglass.  Not exactly GT but keeps the ar5e-end very clean - none of that 'orrible ikky sticky chain lube all over the back wheel.  As for adjusting the chain - forget it, cos' the chain doesn't wear.

I've kept all the original bits, naturally.

A note of caution or, as the boss at the Great Empire used to say, "expectation management";  It's a buyer's market out there at the moment with prices of second hand bikes generally depressed and going down. 

Thanks;  I know in my own mind what a minimum £ is I want and if it doesn't reach that then it'll go back in the shed until next April - when it'll be MOT and Tax exempt.  There can't be too many one owner, 3600 miles on the clock CB750FD's around.

The second which looked like a race replica complete with a rider in IIRC racing leathers (I think his name may have been Richard Head) attempted to fit in the non-existent gap between his mate and the Harley.   He got off and as there was no room between him and Mr HD (who had just started up with difficulty due to lack of space) over-balanced, dropped it and it fell against the HD.    Mr HD was, quite rightly, "a bit p*ss*d off!    There was plenty of space elsewhere to park.  As I say, I think his name must have been Richard Head.

Was the Harley knocked over too/damaged?  I do hope the owner was an Angel rather than a Bank Manager....

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

M'Bear's bike is a Honda CB750F, probably a D or E year model?  (Edit - they are Honda model year designations, not registration letters) 

It's an FD - there never was an FE insofar as I know.

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Oh yes, with bells on.  Do NOT try it unless you are happy to deal with 1 in 3 hill starts and hairpin bends on such gradients.  It is alleged to be the steepest road in Britain, although there are others as steep (Rosedale Chimney I think).

I'm pretty sure Bear did it in 2009 in Ricky the Rover; shortly after getting back to Bear Towers (days? or a few weeks at most) I came out to go somewhere in Ricky and when I went to reverse off the drive there was an almighty crunch as the Clutch self-destructed; at least it happened at home and the Garage I used was only about 1/4 mile (if that) from B.T.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

No doubt about it!   However the risk assessment into motorbikes that I did when I first got my licence concluded that in order to ride one and feel safe  I'd need to imbue other road users and the local wildlife (especially those big bouncy ones that'll do 60kmh into your path!) with the road sense, spatial awareness and general competence that nothing since has proven them as a group to have.

At the end of the day I'll stick with something who's gravitational preference is to have 4 wheels firmly stuck on the ground, rather than lying on its side!

Agreed; it's one of the reasons Bear has decided to sell Harry - though the lack of a Garage  (have I mentioned that?) is the main one.  I've also noticed that the general standard of driving (as well as the attitude of other drivers to "win/get their own back etc. at all costs") has dropped significantly over the years.

Oh yes, and Bear's increasing desire for self preservation as well.....

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, polybear said:

Was the Harley knocked over too/damaged?  I do hope the owner was an Angel rather than a Bank Manager....

No the bloke on the HD took some of the weight of the Duke as he was actually sitting on it about to leave.  Richard's mate rushed to his aid to lift the bike off of the HD.   I presume the HD was not actually damaged as there appeared to be no swapping of particulars and he drove off.   His body language clearly suggested that he was less than chuffed!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14