Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

44 minutes ago, TheQ said:

It will of course need charging, so later I'll go plug it in. Only comes with a USB cable, good job there's a charger. upstairs.

Of the 4 items identical ordered yesterday, one has missed the boat and won't be delivered till tomorrow, that doesn't matter they're not needed till Sunday.

Just realized I'm building up a collection of items that need USB charging, often at the same time, so along with the missing bit for BM a 6 port charging station will arrive tomorrow.

Hopefully your new 6 port charger will be capable of all the current, errrr, current outputs.

USB started off at 500ma, then went on to 1 then 2 amps.   Nowadays there is also a "Fast Charge" level at 3 amps, which is often demanded by appliances with USB C inputs.  I've a Samsung tablet that requires fast charge.  If if gets it, it says "ready in 1hr 50min". Anything lower and its the equivalent of "Come back tomorrow"...

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Hopefully your new 6 port charger will be capable of all the current, errrr, current outputs.

USB started off at 500ma, then went on to 1 then 2 amps.   Nowadays there is also a "Fast Charge" level at 3 amps, which is often demanded by appliances with USB C inputs.  I've a Samsung tablet that requires fast charge.  If if gets it, it says "ready in 1hr 50min". Anything lower and its the equivalent of "Come back tomorrow"...

It is a " smart" charger.. capable of 3 A, .. the advert specifically mentions fast charging Samsung and Apple devices.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

And totally ineffective against masonry.

Sorry for the late reply - the last eight or so hours have been a bit hectic. Other words are available...

I wonder about that - I accept I have no personal experience but from my knowledge of the system, some of them came with solid heads as well as shells and incendiary heads. If the former were fitted, then I think 24 or 32 pound heads together with whatever weight the stick was would put a dent in most walls. Or ships. Conventional black powder smoothbore muzzle loading artillery had 24 and 32 pound pieces - but I'm not knowledgeable to know or even take a guess as to the comparable kinetic forces imparted to a target. And I know Baz may be our resident rocket scientist but I won't insult him by suggesting he had personal experience of this type! 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

As you may have realised I went to a funeral this morning, one of the readers at church who died quite suddenly about three weeks ago of a stomach cancer she didn't know about.  I set off in plenty of time and found nowhere to park near church so used one of the town car parks nearby.  The church was very full with extra chairs behind the pews and a choir of about 35 as the local choral group she went to were also there.  2 vicars took the service which lasted about an hour, there were at least another 5 in the congregation.  

Afterwards the family and close friends went to the crematorium in town, the rest of us migrated to the church hall for snacks.  Snacks turned out to be pasties, sausage rolls, pork pies, lots of sandwiches, scones, other savoury things and cream cakes along with unlimited tea and coffee.  I left after about an hour and decided to visit Betty who is 100 and lives next to the flat Mum had.  We had an enjoyable chat and I got home about 1.30.  As I left there was a sudden short lived downpour from a very black cloud.

I didn't need any lunch!  I shall cook a piece of salmon for tea shortly.

The afternoon has been spent quietly catching up on things.  My garage rang to say they will refinish the alloy wheel on my car next month so I have got a date and booked a courtesy car for the day, having assured them that I can drive a manual car.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

6 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

some of them came with solid heads as well as shells and incendiary heads. If the former were fitted, then I think 24 or 32 pound heads together with whatever weight the stick was would put a dent in most walls

It's an interesting question the actual "payload" on these things is not obvious from the cursory stuff on Wikipedia.

Rocket sizes were designated by the calibre of the tube, using the then-standard British method of using weight in pounds as a measure of cannon bore. Larger diameter rockets also had correspondingly longer tubes.

And

It was the use of ship-launched Congreve rockets by the British in the bombardment of Fort McHenry in the US in 1814 that inspired a phrase in the fifth line of the first verse of the United States' national anthem, "The Star-Spangled Banner": "the rockets’ red glare". HMS Erebus fired the rockets from a 32-pound rocket battery installed below the main deck, which fired through portholes or scuttles pierced in the ship's side.

The impression I have formed here is that the 32 pounder rocket was of a diameter congruent with a cannon firing 32 pound roundshot (which has a diameter of 6.1") and a cannon with a 6.41" bore.

It does not suggest that the rocket had a 32 pound 'payload'.

Empirically, neither the Congreve rockets nor the mortar shells had much of an impact to Fort McHenry, which was 'up to date' for the time - a star fort with masonry walls and earthen fill - contemporary image here. The NPS has an artist's 'impression' here.

Rockets and mortars were chosen - knowing that conventional ship-fired shot would not be effective against this fort. (There was at one point a short engagement of cannon fire by ships, which withdrew.)

Ultimately, nor were the rockets and mortar - the trajectory of which (I presume) was quite high.  There were close moments (from the NPS website):

One bomb achieved a direct hit on the fort’s powder magazine. The bomb glanced off the arch shaped roof, leaving a hole and caving in a portion of the ceiling of the powder room, which contained close to 200 barrels of powder. Had the bomb gone into the magazine it would have destroyed the fort with a catastrophic explosion. 

The bombardment took place over a period of about 27 hours and used 1,500 projectiles all to little effect. There were casualties, some from bombs, but some deaths of defenders were caused by double-shotted cannon replying to the British fleet flipping over.

The narrative (on two pages) of the National Park Service website is better than most online sources I found.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

And of course the other question is - where do you see yourself in five years time?

"Hopefully healthy, happy and enjoying my job"

The rest is secondary.

• Like 12
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Had a parcel arrive this morning, not sure if the postie knocked as I was upstairs at the back of the house, but if they did I didn't hear it. When I came down there was a card saying it was in the black wheelie bin, just as well it's not BIN day today. 

Bear's Postie told me a few months back that they're not allowed to do such tactics anymore.

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It's an interesting question the actual "payload" on these things is not obvious from the cursory stuff on Wikipedia.

The narrative (on two pages) of the National Park Service website is better than most online sources I found.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/44230626 may be worth a look - the preview page refers to some reputable authors. I've a few things to do this evening but will create an account and have a look later. 

https://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/1968/march/congreve-war-rockets-1800-1825 also looks promising. There are some stats quoted. From a skim-read, the impression I get is the lack of damage to Fort McHenry was more due to strong construction than a weakness in the artillery used against it. Though given the author's background, I could suggest 'he would say/suggest that, wouldn't he'? 

I've not found a title about the system, though I've seen several about conventional [tube] artillery of the period. Could be an interesting book if someone writes one. 

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, polybear said:

can't remember when the last time was that I had a cake with candles....

What a lovely surprise. 

• Agree 16

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

The endoscopy unit used to be on level C in between the fracture clinic and outpatients. Finding a parking place at Basildon  usually takes longer than my appointments (not endoscopy, for those I go to the Royal London in Whitechapel). 

I'm considering going by taxi, I used to walk as the hospital is only half a mile away but now it would take me over an hour to walk that.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Went to Tess Coes this afternoon. Nothing much in the reduced counter there was a sandwich but one look at the red traffic light showing 39% salt so I put it back. I did get my bread only it was two small loaves instead of a large one so ones in the freezer.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear's Postie told me a few months back that they're not allowed to do such tactics anymore.

Last year, our usual postie asked me to take in a parcel for next door.  The resident genius had left a note on the door asking for parcels to be left in the recycling box.  When he came around to collect it, I asked him why he thought it was a good idea.  "I couldn't think of anywhere else" was the answer.

Adrian

• Like 14
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The arthritis was playing up I went upstairs to sit on the bed for half an hour as that is the most comfortable seat in the circumstances. The half hour turned into two hours eyelid inspection. I have taken a couple of Nurofen and they're beginning to work.

• Friendly/supportive 14