The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

A dry but cloudy morning and mild enough to open the greenhouse door to give the plants some fresh air.

Shortly I will set off for church, hopefully when I get there someone will know what is happening.

I should have a parcel delivery via Royal Mail sometime today, I may try to do some gardening after lunch.

David

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Despite taking the strong pills before I went to bed last night the arthritis kicked in with a vengeance. The slightest movement sent shooting pains down my left thigh so every time I turned over it woke me up. I received my insurance quote for the car today, ouch! Problem is that I have no criteria to compare it with as it is a larger and more powerful car than my old one. I will get a few more quotes before I renew it.

• Friendly/supportive 15

Reading the various comments about MPs crossing the floor I find myself thinking of the old joke

How do you tell if a politician is lying? His/her lips are moving.

Many a true word spoken in jest!

Dave

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

20 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Yes it is a lot of fun, and sometimes embarrassing. When I started looking into my family tree I discovered one of my great grandmothers had the maiden name of Mogg. Being such an unusual surname I started tracing it back and got as far back as my 3X great grandfather a farmer living in Podimore, Somerset in the early 19th century. I was using Genes reunited through which you can compare family trees so I looked for the surname Mogg in the surrounding villages and contacted the owners of the family trees. One of the first I contacted replied that her 3X great grandfather was a brother of my 3X great grandfather and whats more she sent me a copy of the Mogg family tree dating back to Tudor times when the name was 'invented'. It was adopted by a father and son originally named Keen in the mid 1550's when Mary Tudor was on the throne.

I thought that you were going to say you found you were related to Jacob Rees-Mogg. That would have been embarrassing.

• Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Happy Thursday all. 

The day after Flora Day when those still in Helston will not be early risers and when those of us who made it home still woke with tired legs from having been standing on them all of yesterday. 

Today is porch-painting day. The Leyland's is out. The brushes are wielded and all the woodwork in and out will look shinier and newer by sunset. 

A perfect day for glossing, really, as it’s dry, breezy, low humidity and around 14C. 

Tomorrow I’ll check for stray paint but having cut in around all the windows without a problem so far I’m hoping the clean-up will not be needed. 

• Like 18

39 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I am, and yes it is embarrassing. About 250 years ago a heiress of the family married an impoverished clergyman named Rees and she purchased a living in Warwickshire for him. In mitigation on my dads side of the family is a possible ancestor hung at Wapping for piracy.

A pity they don't hang such miscreants at Wapping any more....

ION

Against my better judgement, I did some more "gardening" this afternoon, despite my back still twinging, as something needed to be done with the remaining bedding plants.  These have been distributed in a trough and in a couple of terracotta planters, rather than their originally designated home. Now thats done, I'll shortly make a muggatea and page through MRJ 303, while munching a "Portugese Custard Tart". 

Its a hard life, but someone has to suffer it!

• Like 17

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Good afternoon, the sun is still shining, half the molehills are now around the potatoes, the other half is levelling holes in the weed patches.   After that we had coffee and saw another inhabitant of the chateau poking his/her head of of a drain.   We have seen discarded skins there before but never a live occupant.

P5093840.JPG.10964ce45f1d88205a997b0b5ae92653.JPG

Jamie

AS per  The Night Mail, probably a  "Green And Yellow Snake" (see, we arent the ONLY country with  lame obvious names - Brown snake, Blue Ringed Octopus  - Great Sandy Desert, etc!)

https://www.infofauna.ch/fr/services-conseil/reptiles-karch/les-reptiles/especes/couleuvre-verte-et-jaune#gsc.tab=0

The obvious pupils evident in your pic help give it away...

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Those two problems with family research are related. The Mormons created Ancestry and they and the RC church don't see eye to eye. The reason is that the Mormons 'baptize' all who appear in Ancestry into their church and the RC church objects to this practice and won't release any documents such as BMD registers to them. Before the 1550's such records relating to the UK were almost entirely RC so are unavailable without a lot of searching. If for example you found that you had Irish antecedents it is possible to go back further as many churches still hold the records but first you have to identify which parish they lived in and if and where and if they are obtainable.

But of course many of the churches became Church of England , and kirks became Presbyterian or Episcopalian.

• Like 9
  • Agree 3

8 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

What - pirates!?!

I'll admit to downloading The Arctic Monkeys first album from a dodgy site back in the days before Spotify, but hanging me for that is a little harsh, maybe transportation to Australia would be more suitable.

Oh, wait.....

Isn't there that horrible little island that they would send uppity transportees to for punishment?  We could send you there...

The hanging would be reserved for those with double-barreled names.

• Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. As I have mentioned I do the NY Times *Wordl game every morning. This morning I got the word at the second attempt.😁😁😁

26 minutes ago, TheQ said:

But of course many of the churches became Church of England , and kirks became Presbyterian or Episcopalian.

But most of the records were destroyed on Cromwells orders.

*In Wordl you have six attempts to find a five letter word. You have to guess the first word and if a letter from the word of the day is in your guess it lights up green if it is in the right place and yellow if it is in the word but not in the right place, letters that are not in the word show as grey. It is easier than it sounds.

• Like 14

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Good morning from a rock that has no moles.  Or foxes, or snakes - bar the political ones - ours are no better than the UK version.

Hmmm!

I wonder if parliamentarian reptiles qualify for the undoubtedly (ahem) "ROBUST" attentions that one of our resident ursines (in this case @polybear) tends to meet out to such creatures.

Even our antipodean protector of all things creepy.crawly and venomous (Chimpey AKA @monkeysarefun) would probably make an exception in such circumstance.

As the Police Dispatcher at the end of the Blues Brothers film said: "Use of unnecessary violence ... HAS been approved"

ION

Am enjoying a day off: 

IMG_4672.jpeg.3e45e0f1f39aab02a0e2bf430fa1dc56.jpeg

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 18

4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The reason is that the Mormons 'baptize' all who appear in Ancestry into their church and the RC church objects to this practice and won't release any documents such as BMD registers to them.

They are not the only ones. The LDS practice of baptizing 'ancestors' deeply offended Jewish organizations in the US, particularly as it pertained to baptizing holocaust victims.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

26 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Hmmm!

I wonder if parliamentarian reptiles qualify for the undoubtedly (ahem) "ROBUST" attentions that one of resident ursines (in this case @polybear) tends to meet out to such creatures.

Even our antipodean protector of all things creepy.crawly and venomous (Chimpey AKA @monkeysarefun) would probably make an exception in such circumstance.

As the Police Dispatcher at the end of the Blues Brothers film said: "Use of unnecessary violence ... HAS been approved"

ION

Am enjoying a day off: 

IMG_4672.jpeg.3e45e0f1f39aab02a0e2bf430fa1dc56.jpeg

Beer?

That looks like a rather "worrying" urine sample...

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 8