RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Bear here.....

Yet another stunning performance by the UK in the Eurohowling Contest (18th), whilst the winner (who identifies as a paperclip/sausage roll/frog/other apparently managed to bust the glass trophy.

It's been mentioned that the Dutch Contestant (who was booted out) got p1ssed off by being repeatedly filmed backstage (I would too), despite asking them not to - perhaps they came out with something like "now look, love, if you stick that fuggin' camera in my face just one more time I'll shove it up your a*se" (seems like a fair comment to me) - to which they got the right 'ump and presumably went off to find some jobsworth to moan to.  Or is Bear being unnaturally cynical?  (Wot, Moi?)

Today?  More "stuff" to do.....  😐

BG

Edited by polybear
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

12 minutes ago, polybear said:

Yet another stunning performance by the UK in the Eurohowling Contest (18th), whilst the winner (who identifies as a paperclip/sausage roll/frog/other apparently managed to bust the glass trophy

Sound suspiciously  like sour grapes.....  At least give @iL Dottore time to celebrate!

• Funny 18

12 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Considering abandoning* Microsoft Excel? 

* aka not purchasing Office for home.

4 hours ago, AndyID said:

Do not eff around. Just get Open Office.

Both somewhat missing the point. It would not be possible to write a book about Excel without having the Toole available, so I am waiting   to retire so that I can get rid of Office 365 and go to Office 2024, and that use of Apple Numbers may free up the  people using Macs in academic environments or in Marketing from using MS Office. I am not about replacing, rather extending.

And I'm not going to R or things like that because the audience would shy away from the learning curve - they would want solutions they can use, not stuff that takes them away from achieving results. People reading this may be comfortable with R and the technological requirement. The audience I:n writing for required a more plug and play approach.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

55 minutes ago, Grizz said:

ION (although I admit that it may be posted somewhere else on RMWEB)….

Class 50 loco very slightly ‘off the road’ at the Swanage Railway diesel gala…..very sad to see. Hopefully not too much damage to the loco. Not my photos, but forwarded multiple times. 

8cbf6244-89ea-4213-9955-4dc4f9823361.jpeg.f30deef85f8db8b434758eae84fe692d.jpeg

08751884-8629-4d53-b264-d15cb2b0e3ad.jpeg.c5b3ce5aa348e21955c4a2cc55d71312.jpeg

cf2aa8de-639f-4b12-9e69-0b9f24b2bf7b.jpeg.2083ff9476b86e47e81db4e87e13a3cb.jpeg

Oh it'll be alright. A few two by fours, a bit of muscle and bobs your uncle.

You worry to much Grizz.

I take it was the 'dimple'- technical term I know not, that caused it.

• Like 16

Missed the AB on Friday as I didn't know it was a thing until Saturday morning, and Saturday was a no-show too, because of thick cloud.  Boo!  Did see the Manx ferry and the Mersey ferry* exchanging grunts at the Mersey Narrows from New Brighton, and a very fine sunset through the windfarm...

Calm, warm and sunny at present. Rain is indicated from 17:00 and a spot of thunder at 18:00 (ish)

*  Snowdrop, the dazzlepainted one.  It had been on a "cruise" out to the Bar and was returning.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

Sounds like a faulty cup or it was designed by an idiot - what make is it?

It's an Apachie, a good make but it is rather heavy for its size and I wonder if thats the problem.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 11

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Grizz said:

Morning All

…or is it still the middle of the night????….and the reason for asking that? …well because last night the sky was full of blue and red lights again.

But not the Northern Lights spectacular we were treated to on Friday night….No no.
At round 23:30 an enormously loud screeching of rubber, collision and collapsing masonry was heard. As some slashed up Herbert in an unmarked white Transit Tipper (with gardening tools / tarmac tools, wheel barrow etc in the back) took out the front of the local pub. The pub was hosting a party at the time. No news on injuries at the pub yet but hopefully everyone was ok, especially as the regulars smoke and vape out the front, exact where there isn’t a front now. 

Have to say that I couldn’t care less about the driver, as this is certainly not the first time such a vehicle has wiped out something in the local law abiding community. The best bit is that he was heading South, i.e. on completely the wrong side of the road. Luckily he didn’t hit anyone coming the other way. 

Result, happily lots and lots of Police, Fire and Ambulance in attendance. This morning there are temporary traffic lights as the rubble is in a big heap in on the pavement and the structural engineer will need to make an assessment on the building, which is right next to the road. 

e0a5bd49-edd2-4952-a910-73ed20f86342.jpeg.8b31f7924dbf3982744aaae34d6292be.jpeg

532f5686-7d91-4b3d-b8b6-1cc1cb7c700f.jpeg.253548b106a209cde48f985ae62420f0.jpeg

Given the time of night I wonder if the truck was stolen.

• Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear here.....

Yet another stunning performance by the UK in the Eurohowling Contest (18th), whilst the winner (who identifies as a paperclip/sausage roll/frog/other apparently managed to bust the glass trophy.

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Sound suspiciously  like sour grapes.....  At least give @iL Dottore time to celebrate!

I am supremely indifferent to that sort of contest. As far as I can tell the only difference between Eurovision Song Contest, The Voice, Britain's got talent or Even Opportunity Knocks (wasn't she marvellous) is the amount of money behind the contestants. Occasionally, a real and enduring talent emerges from these things, but the only way to really have an enduring career is to "come up the hard way": playing pubs and clubs, doing "rep" etc. - learning and honing your craft. As one member of a now incredibly famous and successful rock group ruefully observed: "we're a 10 year overnight sensation" (referring- of course - to the time it took to obtain their first "hit")

As for the Swiss winner; Mrs iD heard an interview with he/she/it and said that this person of some type or another came across as genuine and nice. But, it's not surprising that he/she/it doesn't quite know what he/she/it IS - given the steady drip of soshul meeja poison into the awaiting ears of the young.

I have just had a horrifying thought. As Switzerland won the contest yesterday it will HAVE to host the next one. &£@€$#%!!! Still as my chum, Captain Cynical says "if life gives you lemons, you make lemonade, start a drinks Empire, vanquish and smash the opposition and earn millions" So what needs to be done is to find out now where Switzerland will be hosting the contest and start buying up hotels and Airbnb prior to jacking up all the prices by at least 300% upon the official announcement of where the contest will be held.

An investment opportunity*?

* about CCI-Invest: a satisfied customer @polybear writes "before I put my money into CCI-invest I could barely afford the occasional LDC from the co-op now thanks to CCI-invest I own 2 LDC producing factories and I can have LDC whenever I want!"

• Like 2
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:
13 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

It's held on by a suction cup that won't suck,

Here they all use double-sided tape, but Ive never found a brand that'll last a whole Sydney summer stuck to the windscreen.

Windscreen. 🤔

Obviously not the same double-sided tape that deputises for cups in an altogether different setting. 🤣🙊🙉🙈

Yes I do know about such things. More than one female friend in my history has asked for help in applying it 😮

Good moaning. Welcome to Sun Day. Currently living up to its name though we are threatened with sky-widdle later. 

Today’s mission is to the G***** C***** in an effort to replace the small things we planted last week. Those were gobbled up by ghastlypods within two days. The same ghastlypods who somehow evaded the defensive line of pellets ……… 🤬

• Like 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Missed the AB on Friday as I didn't know it was a thing until Saturday morning, and Saturday was a no-show

I looked out on Friday at around 10.30 and again at 11 and saw only dark sky with the crescent moon. I went to bed. 

We face west. There isn’t a lot of light pollution and we have sight of the sea - sky horizon. 

No aurora. 

It gave a stunning display here to everyone except me. Gutted?  Yes I am.  How I missed that I don’t know. 

I went out last night as my Aurora alarm went off.  This time I went down to the Cape which gives clear line of sight to the horizon all round. After waiting from 10 until near midnight I thought I saw a hint of purple in the northern sky. The camera picked it up better than my eyes but here - just about - is what was showing 

IMG_6626.jpeg.f03ff2028db9f9f1d7bb93389a91fecb.jpeg

IMG_6629.jpeg.863e2c7e723d423fa041860500871610.jpeg

IMG_6632.jpeg.dd95f0c5f083b30c36940a9ed0704a2d.jpeg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Today’s mission is to the G***** C***** in an effort to replace the small things we planted last week. Those were gobbled up by ghastlypods within two days. The same ghastlypods who somehow evaded the defensive line of pellets ……… 🤬

Slug pellets do not work as they are not as strong as they used to be (so that they don't poison things like hedgehogs.). The best solution is a beer trap.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

i thought I noticed a slight shimmering of the sky last night but then realised it was the plume from someone’s boiler.  
We will be off to visit MiL in Enfield after breakfast. I haven’t checked the traffic yet, we will be going anyway. A thunderstorm warning has just popped up on this iPad, hopefully that will do as a car wash.

Tony

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

I looked out on Friday at around 10.30 and again at 11 and saw only dark sky with the crescent moon. I went to bed. 

We face west. There isn’t a lot of light pollution and we have sight of the sea - sky horizon. 

No aurora. 

It gave a stunning display here to everyone except me. Gutted?  Yes I am.  How I missed that I don’t know. 

I went out last night as my Aurora alarm went off.  This time I went down to the Cape which gives clear line of sight to the horizon all round. After waiting from 10 until near midnight I thought I saw a hint of purple in the northern sky. The camera picked it up better than my eyes but here - just about - is what was showing 

IMG_6626.jpeg.f03ff2028db9f9f1d7bb93389a91fecb.jpeg

IMG_6629.jpeg.863e2c7e723d423fa041860500871610.jpeg

IMG_6632.jpeg.dd95f0c5f083b30c36940a9ed0704a2d.jpeg

Similar to what I saw but Friday night/Saturday morning was better.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TheQ said:

On those standards I always put 6 "O"s and 3 "H" on my CVs, these days they would expect me to put 9  "O"s and 5 "H" on the CV, which for some reason I haven't updated in 15 years though it's still on the computer somewhere.

Are schoolkids really that much smarter - or working much harder than "we had to?"  Or have exams been significantly dumbed down compared to 40+ years ago?  You decide......

55 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Given the time of night I wonder if the truck was stolen.

Given the clues in the back it sounds like Metal Fairies.  Good luck with the insurance.....

49 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

An investment opportunity*?

* about CCI-Invest: a satisfied customer @polybear writes "before I put my money into CCI-invest I could barely afford the occasional LDC from the co-op now thanks to CCI-invest I own 2 LDC producing factories and I can have LDC whenever I want!"

CCI-Invest?  Bear's never heard of 'em, had anything to do with them or given them a review - and certainly not a glowing one.  Don't touch 'em with a bargepole.....my legal team is already on it.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Heads up, perhaps @iL Dottore can pass this on to his associate C.C. If the 'For those who fear coming to Australia' thread is anything to go by there is a shortage of a staple of the Australian diet, tinned sliced beetroot. What a business opportunity, corner that market and you can have as many spiders and snakes as you like to protect the secret LDC stash.😁

• Funny 17