Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, polybear said:

bet no-one messed about in his lessons though….could do with a few of those today….

If no one misbehaved , why was he chucking dividers around then? 

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

Posted (edited)

An interesting bit of trivia that touches on some of the topics we've discussed (albeit tangentially).

Last Friday I met up with some chums and acquaintances - a few of whom are in a Guards Regiment. Jokingly, I asked if all the officers were still "wuperts and wodneys". They laughed and said that was not the case anymore - anyone, from any background, could become an officer in HM Army except for the Guards Regiments - where because the regimental requirement is for the officers to pay their mess bills promptly and as in the Guards Regiments the monthly mess bill is usually more than what a junior officer earns in month - this effectively limits the officers of these regiments to the scions of wealthy families.

A similar situation exists in media: most entry level paying media jobs require the applicant to have garnered experience through unpaid internships. But as such internships tend to be concentrated in London (not a city friendly to the unwaged youngster), it's only those youngsters with wealthy parents that can afford to do an an unpaid internship in London. "Mummy or Daddy knowing someone" (aka nepotism) is also an important aspect.

Edited by iL Dottore
Word missing
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 15

Posted (edited)

Currently sunny with clouds gathering around the edges, light wind, warmish.  Rain is promised by the Met Office from 5pm, and from 2pm by the BBC seaweed observers.  Oh Joy!

I just thought, my first sentence was verging on a Shipping Forecast report from coastal stations style...

Edited by Hroth
A Thort.
  • Like 19

Posted (edited)

That sounds a bit like how grounds maintenance operatives ( please note that doesn't include gardeners) are hired in that if they are; upright, can hold a strimmer and walk they get the job.

Ps the brain cell is reserved for gardeners and above.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A bright and sunny start to the day here in England’s northwest corner. My first task this morning is to clean the windows, we used to have good window cleaners, but they became unreliable, sometimes it would be 8 - 10 weeks between visits, instead of every 4 weeks, so we sacked them. I’m hoping to get the back windows done this morning and the front windows done after dinner. 

I did calculus, differentiation and integration at college, we were taught be an ex-rocket scientist, so he made learning it all quite easy. But I’ve never used any of all that outside of college and as that was many years ago, I’ve now forgotten it all. 

Anyway, I’d best get on with it. 

Brian

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Hroth said:

There was a programme about trying to read the Herculaneum scrolls (charred to carbonised swiss rolls by Vesuvius in 79AD) on Ch5 at 9pm.  It would have been a decent half-hour programme, but was padded out by programme makers dross to an hour.

The big reveal was that after much effort, one word was deciphered....

Then the programme ended!

I followed something similar, about the same excavation a week or two back on BBC2. No mention of any scrolls AFAICR. It was a bakery in the process of rebuilding but still baking bread. Horrifically three skeletons were found, two women and a young child. As it turned out from a forensic tests that they were most likely slaves and even worse they were locked into a room with no means of escape.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Typically, we were away so missed all the Northern Lights excitement on Friday.

Yesterday, I kept going outside but could see zilch, though heard foxes having a barney in the woods.

Just been out in my slippers, as you do. Now not sure if these are just reflections from the ground,  or whether I'm seeing something not really there, but could these be the Northern Lights?

P1700485.JPG

There is a touch of green yellow and pink in there. It was similar for me last night.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

So I cancelled my existing flight to Tokyo and booked a flight Singapore - Frankfurt - Tokyo - Singapore. I get home on Saturday morning and then fly to Copenhagen to talk about the urgent need to emit less.

It does seem a little bit odd to be flying around to talk about emitting less CO2. But, from my recent reading it does appear that airline flights are in the crosshairs because they are the most visible aspect of CO2 emissions that could be reduced, even though they are nowhere near being the leaders in CO2 emissions.

The thing is there are some simple ways of reducing emissions without undue sacrifice. One of which is to stop eating out of season fruit and vegetables. Do you really need out of season asparagus, strawberries or avocados flown in from god knows where?

That, and repurposing - where possible - older buildings rather than tearing down and building anew (using concrete - a significant source of CO2) would go far to improving the environment.

• Like 7
  • Agree 8

11 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I followed something similar, about the same excavation a week or two back on BBC2. No mention of any scrolls AFAICR. It was a bakery in the process of rebuilding but still baking bread. Horrifically three skeletons were found, two women and a young child. As it turned out from a forensic tests that they were most likely slaves and even worse they were locked into a room with no means of escape.

The 3 part series was about an dig on a previously unexplored part of Pompeii.  Again, it was a bit over-inflated and could have been done in two 1 hour episodes. 

I got the impression that because there was so much going on at the site before the eruption that with the builders there, nothing else was going on.  The main thrust of the programmes was interpretation of what each room would be used for, not that this was the case on the day of the eruption.

There were a number of conclusions drawn about the bodies found in the small room that I felt uncomfortable about.  Slaves? Probably.  Locked in? A supposition without much evidence.  It COULD be said that they were unable to make an escape in time and took shelter in what looked like a sturdy refuge, and were killed when the roof collapsed under the weight of the ejecta.  At least they didn't get burned alive when the pyroclastic flow arrived.  I also felt that classical slavery was being interpreted through the prism of the African slave experience, which is unhelpful.  Slavery is slavery, but we don't have enough information to compare the conditions.

But it was interesting!

• Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Only one callout from bladder control last night about two o'clock. I took advantage of it to look north to see if there were any more northern lights. There was a greenish light just on the horizon that looked like a green mist. This set me thinking, what would or did our far ancestors have made of such events? Would they have hidden in fear and sacrificed the odd maiden or two?  

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

It does seem a little bit odd to be flying around to talk about emitting less CO2. But, from my recent reading it does appear that airline flights are in the crosshairs because they are the most visible aspect of CO2 emissions that could be reduced, even though they are nowhere near being the leaders in CO2 emissions.

The thing is there are some simple ways of reducing emissions without undue sacrifice. One of which is to stop eating out of season fruit and vegetables. Do you really need out of season asparagus, strawberries or avocados flown in from god knows where?

That, and repurposing - where possible - older buildings rather than tearing down and building anew (using concrete - a significant source of CO2) would go far to improving the environment.

It is not the long distance flights that are the problem as often there's no viable alternative. It's the short flights that are the most polluting especially when there is a greener alternative such as Eurostar.

• Like 7
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Hroth said:

I also felt that classical slavery was being interpreted through the prism of the African slave experience, which is unhelpful. 

Slavery in Ancient Rome and the African Slave trade in the 1700s were two very different beasts indeed. Roman citizens could become slaves in certain circumstances, Roman slaves could be (and were) regularly manumitted, many (most?) Roman slaves who became freedmen then went on to own slaves themselves, although many Roman slaves were treated abominably?(such as the "public slaves"), many were valuable property, valued and treated very well indeed (much as today, a proud luxury car owner cossets and favours his Ferrari or Rolls Royce). Many such ch slaves lived better than poor Roman citizens.

And let's not forget the Sports Superstars of the Roman Empire: The Gladiators- nearly all of whom were slaves (and with luck and skill could retire as very rich ex-slaves indeed).

Two very different beasts indeed!

Edited by iL Dottore
Completed text on freedmen
  • Like 4
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

...There was a greenish light just on the horizon that looked like a green mist. This set me thinking, what would or did our far ancestors have made of such events? Would they have hidden in fear and sacrificed the odd maiden or two?  

It's a sign from the Gods. Though quite what sign they were sending would be open to different interpretations. And no doubt open to abuse by unscrupulous individuals. 

One definition of 'magic' I heard, was it's something which we don't currently understand or can't explain logically. Whether we're in 2024AD or 2024BC. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

That sounds a bit like how grounds maintenance operatives ( please note that doesn't include gardeners) are hired in that if they are; upright, can hold a strimmer and walk they get the job.

Ps the brain cell is reserved for gardeners and above.

I think I would have quite liked a career as a grounds maintenance operative. 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Hroth said:

my first sentence was verging on a Shipping Forecast report from coastal stations style..

Something Dr SWMBO has always found comforting. She often listens to the shipping forecast on her way to sleep. 

I use it for watch-keeping purposes these days. 

“Distant (Signal) West: West-south-west 4; 13; 998 steady; rain in past hour; misty or fine later; slight; moderate to good occasionally very poor.”

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 2