The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

4 hours ago, DaveF said:

It is very pleasing to hear the good news about Mrs NHN.

Reading about mosquitoes and diseases carried by insects, snakes, and other nasty animals makes me feel glad that I live in the UK.  Round here I think I am more likely to be drowned by a rogue wave or fall off a clifftop than be victim of an animal.  Even most of the local jellyfish do not produce very serious effects if stung by them - but I stll avoid them.

I am bit late this morning as I have been looking at an e mail from a cousin about a photo I sent her, she has identified a number of her mother's family so I can do some captions correctly.  The e mail was odd, the first few lines were written in invisible ink, the words only showed up when I highlighted them.

It is very grey here with the breeze off the sea, not cold but not very warm.  Even though the heating is turned down to its summer setting it came on this morning for a short while.

Today will probably include more photograph scanning, the current album only has anothe 200 photos to do, and possibly a bit of light gardening if it stays dry.

David

Reading your post Dave has reminded me to get off my Aris' and renew my search for some family photos which have been misplaced somewhere - they're probably buried deep inside a cardboard box as we're redecorating parts of the house but I'm buggered if I can find them! Its strange how the thought of losing some pieces of paper containing grainy images of moments long past can tug at the heartstrings, but some 'things' for want of a better word, are very precious indeed. There's one in particular photo of my sister and I in our old back garden in 1970, she's a mere babe in arms (she was born in May '69) sitting on a blanket on the grass while I'm nearby sitting proudly in my 'first car', a go-kart bought by Nan who came up from London to visit us.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Uncle Ben's anything I wouldn't classify as food, wallpaper paste maybe.. They are very small portions as well, which is a surprise being an American brand..

We had a short heavy rain shower yesterday from about 17:00, but today it's been rain and drizzle all day. The verge mower has just been round , so visibility down the roads is much improved.

The temperature has dropped, which is probably why Ben took me for his full long walk..

Spent much of the day working on the format of next this year's club accounts, adding a quarterly set of figures to the monies " to date".. Was struggling with adding one more set of figures, but of course now I'm sat on the sofa, the answer popped into brain. Luckily the first quarter doesn't need two sets of figures, so that's long since done and starting to fill up. Also have been reorganising the files into annual folders, there were 8 years of files in one lot..

Lots of rats round here, keeping the undergrowth down is a major continuous task..

The man from the house of strong ladies has just been, I now have a pack of sticky numbers for the opening hours.. also various tools and bits of tubular plastic , for muddling both at the radar museum,  and on unmentionables,   

• Like 19

Speaking of the Strong Ladies, for some reason an order I placed yesterday morning has been dispatched by Royal Mail 24 and will be with me tomorrow, rather than them doing the deed themselves and it arriving on Friday!

In a way I'm not complaining, at least if I miss a Royal Mail delivery I can collect it from the Delivery Office the day after....

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

I present to you my deterrent of choice...

X1000jpg.jpg.6982284944c7f5d5f945250a5b6268b4.jpg

THAT WILL SORT THEM OUT - 30ft range and extended magazine capacity.

Definite upgrade on the used Fairy Liquid squeeze bottles we employed against pigeons on the windowsills of a student flat in the 1960s!

Edited by pH
  • Like 15
  • Funny 2

10 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Ahh HUMP day...

Yesterday had the Mrs all over with her visits errands etc. Jemma showed briefly whilst out running errands, was her birthday and we had cards and a pressie for her.

Work full steam ahead again with new report(s) requested by the hospital layabouts management. Just amazes me that so many people can be sucking money out of the health-care system without doing a single thing to improve anyone's health. All they do is improve the bottom-line, which again seems ODD since they are supposed to be non-profit!!

Today, Bob is 17, he's trying to tell me we're wrong, he's MUCH younger than that 😅

20240515_105518_Bob17.jpg.c89429e616944cce2ad88b261962bef9.jpg

In other news - I've finally had it with;

1) pigeons (around 8-12 at a time) descending on my bird feeders

2) Rabbits looking longingly at the flowers/roses in the front garden

3) Squirrels all over the bird feeders and scaring everything song bird away

So, I went GUN SHOPPING and I intend to convince all these various nuisance to leave my premises. The Mrs, kids and friends all think I'm crazy, but I've DONE IT!!!

11c sunny and good air-quality first thing, expected to hit 21c later and some light rain arriving late evening.

Carry on.

My weapon of choice for dealing with squirrels was a Nerf gun.  A head shot produced a delightful "pock" sound, and the squirrel would scamper off, dazed, into the bushes...

Worked well on pigeons too!

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's my Nerf super soaker.  Has been used against the enemy including foxes, cats, squirrels and pigeons with some degree of success.  Range is about 30ft.

IMG_2760.jpg.91b254a5c6737e5be548f87b01994a9a.jpg

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

My weapon of choice for dealing with squirrels was a Nerf gun.  A head shot produced a delightful "pock" sound, and the squirrel would scamper off, dazed, into the bushes...

Interesting... It was a toss-up when I was in the shop, looked like a good option, I may have to ADD one to my arsenal 😀

• Like 16

2 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Ahh HUMP day...

Yesterday had the Mrs all over with her visits errands etc. Jemma showed briefly whilst out running errands, was her birthday and we had cards and a pressie for her.

Work full steam ahead again with new report(s) requested by the hospital layabouts management. Just amazes me that so many people can be sucking money out of the health-care system without doing a single thing to improve anyone's health. All they do is improve the bottom-line, which again seems ODD since they are supposed to be non-profit!!

Today, Bob is 17, he's trying to tell me we're wrong, he's MUCH younger than that 😅

20240515_105518_Bob17.jpg.c89429e616944cce2ad88b261962bef9.jpg

In other news - I've finally had it with;

1) pigeons (around 8-12 at a time) descending on my bird feeders

2) Rabbits looking longingly at the flowers/roses in the front garden

3) Squirrels all over the bird feeders and scaring everything song bird away

So, I went GUN SHOPPING and I intend to convince all these various nuisance to leave my premises. The Mrs, kids and friends all think I'm crazy, but I've DONE IT!!!

11c sunny and good air-quality first thing, expected to hit 21c later and some light rain arriving late evening.

Carry on.

I bought my Mum one of those a couple of years ago to squirt the squirrels - not sure how she has got on with it

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Strangely enough we don't get too many pigeons around here, not exactly sure why probably the foxes or the abundant sparrowhawks. 

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

I am possibly not going to show you my weapon of choice for the invasive species Sciurus carolinensi. It is designated as vermin and cannot be trapped and released ‘back into the environment’ as that is not legal. 

They are responsible for the destruction of red native squirrels as well as various other nefarious doings.

Tree Rats. If they didn’t have a fluffy tail no one would love them. …..Gits.  

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

Aha…

I see your Drum Fed NerfGun …..and I raise you…..

Hatsan 12 Bore Mag Fed Semi Auto

IMG_6002.jpeg.3f64eae7c049d7ffec01e1dd32bea922.jpeg

Faranchi Spas 12 Bore Semi Auto

IMG_5999.jpeg.a36ba42580616a1b0610da59d8852bf2.jpeg

5.56 AR15 and .303 Lee Enfield Sport. 

IMG_6001.jpeg.5d71c3c358d93d3ac42389690902ca00.jpeg

and…..to quote Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels…..”What’s that????”………”It’s me Bren Gun, init!”….

IMG_5998.jpeg.1a229aecc4d04d7fd51ece6e47727c0f.jpeg

Edited by Grizz
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Grizz said:

red native squirrels

Sciurus vulgaris

Which sounds worse than the moniker given to those American versions.  Yet it actually means "common" rather than "unpleasant" which was an earlier meaning of the word "vulgar".  It is traced back to the Latin vulgāris or vulgus also translated as "the common people".

The Vulgate Bible derives from the same origin namely "prepared for the common people" but also "in general circulation" which is approximately the same thing.  

So perhaps we have Holy squirrels in general circulation among the common people.  And those dreaded American ones which are regrettably much more common and in widespread circulation.  Far too widespread.  

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

3 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Sciurus vulgaris

Which sounds worse than the moniker given to those American versions.  Yet it actually means "common" rather than "unpleasant" which was an earlier meaning of the word "vulgar".  It is traced back to the Latin vulgāris or vulgus also translated as "the common people".

The Vulgate Bible derives from the same origin namely "prepared for the common people" but also "in general circulation" which is approximately the same thing.  

So perhaps we have Holy squirrels in general circulation among the common people.  And those dreaded American ones which are regrettably much more common and in widespread circulation.  Far too widespread.  

Some end up more wide spread than others! 

• Agree 4
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Catching up as I took a long eyelid inspection this afternoon. Still haven't had dinner yet but an egg and bacon buttie is on the cards.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4

4 hours ago, AndyID said:

We had to leave a campground in the Adirondacks PDQ thanks to then. That probably explained why it was so easy to find a space in such a nice campground.

Do they bite?  Theres no shortage of flies here but they although they are annoying and can completely cover your back where you cant reach them, and  attempt to crawl into the corners of your eyes or into your ears, they don't actually inflict any kind of bite, not even a venomous one, which is nice.

image.png.b958e06a19c5e186d6676098d5b3ba67.png

If they actually did  bite  the country would be ininhabitable!

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Strangely enough we don't get too many pigeons around here, not exactly sure why probably the foxes or the abundant sparrowhawks. 

Very few “ordinary” pigeons round here but loads of wood pigeons. Careful placing of bird feeders is necessary to stop them emptying them rapidly . I have seen them hanging like blue tits trying to peck,at the food. They are not very good at it. 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
On 12/05/2024 at 18:09, southern42 said:

I popped down to the garden this afternoon to have a look at the first of the peony buds to open. Then it was a wander around to see other blossoming plants close up...

Snip...

Unfortunately, this is what happened to the only flowering Iris, found hanging upside down by a thread, the culprit leaving its trail marks on the leaf.IMG_9203.jpeg.7a68db1dc2cf506187cadc9551b9044b.jpeg

Rescued, the poor thing now sits on the window sill
in an old sardine can.

IMG_9209.jpeg.bed7d6fa49ebb8afa419ab82e7ba6b97.jpeg

The stem is so damaged, only time will tell if it flowers...

But....

10:19 this morning: The surprise of seeing the appearance of a tiny bit of purple 

IMG_9211.jpeg.76f8bf72b34a53761198019d0b1111a6.jpeg

And at 18:56...

IMG_9212.jpeg.4210c425850edb4a9355beb496ddf964.jpeg

And a few minutes ago...

IMG_9215.jpeg.26fdea71cf0728c075b6ccb756ba7e1b.jpeg

I do hope it can survive to flowerhood after this little peekaboo showing.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 16
  • Round of applause 3