The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Well once the ladies at the charity depot have got you looking fed on the cakes they will turn to the next matter which is introducing you to a suitable friend. 

WARNING - AI ALERT INBOUND.....😱

Sorry.....but it had to be done......

image.png.3dcf080573c365247b29c447c8e12b48.png

• Like 1
  • Funny 16

2 minutes ago, polybear said:

WARNING - AI ALERT INBOUND.....😱

Sorry.....but it had to be done......

image.png.3dcf080573c365247b29c447c8e12b48.png

Looks like Bear trying to escape a horde of Zombie Airheads...

• Agree 3
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Hroth said:

Not that frequently, though you do mention your shed, which seems to annoy some people...

(I've a Garage and a Shed...)

I've got a garage and three sheds. The garage(rented from the council) is used for storage as even the i10 wouldn't fit in there so there's no chance that its replacement would fit. Shed # 1 is at the bottom of the garden and is as rotten as a pear, and it's got woodworm. Shed # 2 is a diminutive shed used for garden tools. Shed # 3 is brick built and is attached to the house. It was built as a coal store originally it was external but when the house was extended its now internal. Its about 1 x 2 metres inside and it is earmarked to become a downstairs loo. The problem is that it is single skin brick and will require insulating. Also halfway along one of the long walls is a brick pillar that supports one corner of the house and if insulation is installed will reduce the width to less than 60 cm. 

5 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Apparently I missed a bit of drama while I was away, a visiting tarantula. Usually they stay hidden in the forested areas but go walkabout occasionally.  

That means that Singapore is no longer on @polybear's bucket list.

• Like 13
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The problem is that it is single skin brick and will require insulating. Also halfway along one of the long walls is a brick pillar that supports one corner of the house and if insulation is installed will reduce the width to less than 60 cm. 

Is external insulation practical?  Or don't insulate the pillar to the same degree as the rest of the room (insulated plasterboard maybe?)

• Like 14

7 hours ago, grandadbob said:

My shed is only 18ft x 8ft so I suppose compared to Dave's hangar and Jamie's hay barn/agricultural warehouse it doesn't really count.

I think Bear will make an exception and include you just so you don't feel left out.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, polybear said:

Is external insulation practical?  Or don't insulate the pillar to the same degree as the rest of the room (insulated plasterboard maybe?)

The pillar is on the one inside wall of the shed, it is 9" x 9". However there is a solution, move the pillar so that its outside the shed as there's more than a metre wide opening  where a new pillar could be built and a bit of space 'grabbed' for the toilet. 

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, DaveF said:

The garage is full of important things and treasures, none of which can be thrown away even though they don't get used.

They're by far the very worst ones - you never, ever use them but you can't bear the thought of parting with them.  Ask a Bear how he knows.....

• Agree 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Thinking of sheds I don't have one... but I do have a greenhouse which is very full of plants, under the staging are more plants and useful garden things.

The garage is full of important things and treasures, none of which can be thrown away even though they don't get used.

The house has just enough space for model things, computers, far too many books - and me.  The loft is less full than it was, when I can get up there again I know there are some things which must go - or be put in the garage.

David

Best to empty the loft completely while you can still get up there as the day will come when you can't get up there. I can no longer get up into my loft but luckily I've only got some empty boxes up there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 9

7 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Best to empty the loft completely while you can still get up there as the day will come when you can't get up there. I can no longer get up into my loft but luckily I've only got some empty boxes up there.

That's on my to do list, the railway was moved first a couple of years back, the rest will go this year.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

A couple of years ago I reinsulated the loft and put walkways on loft stilts and installed shelves. Everything we were not quite ready to part with was put in proper boxes.  The plan is if we haven’t used it or had requests for it in a few years it will be disposed of to charities or recycling. It is neat so if even we can’t do it we can pay for it to be cleared. 
Tony

• Like 14

3 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Office 2024 is not cheap, bity I may have to bite the bullet.

It's not, but you'll be quite lost without Excel.

I did find someone willing to sell a traditional license of Office - not 360. I'm happy to have it. It doesn't appear to 'phone home' - unlike Chrome which does so constantly and always wants updating - much like Windows does.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

I'd empty  my Loft - if I had a Garage to put the stuff in (which would kinda defeat the object really); it does need some very difficult decisions made sometime soon-ish though.

The first Great Cull will be in the Shed though, just as soon as Harry is sold.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. It was persisting down earlier but its now stopped but the seaweed twirlers are predicting more. All this rain has bought out Arthur Itis who is doing his rain dance so Nurofen has been taken.

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

My youngest is watching "Britain's Got Talent".  Not wishing to be sexist, ageist, racist, etc but why is there an act from Japan currently performing?

No idea. Apart from the news and weather I think we have only watched stuff on Disney+ for the last month. 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Insurance for house and contents is due for renewal next month, Last year it was £354.92 and this year they want £833.53, nothing has changed in the cover provided and we made no claims. I think a new insurer may be in order.

Edited by Ohmisterporter
Forgot to say it was Saga.
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 11