The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I used to listen to Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac in 1968-69 at the Toby Jug at Tolworth. Also Chicken Shack, the Nice and ELP. Jolly, sweaty days...

Ah the Toby Jug - one of many venues that I visited after I finished at Uni and went into work's wide world as I worked variously at Chessington, Hinchley Wood and New Malden, and I lived in Worcester Park, so it was one of the must visit places, often straight from work and staying til newar closing, then getting the last train to Motspur Park, and back down but I can't remember who I saw there (alcohol dimmed the memory right away).  I did see Mungo Jerry (playing as Brett Marvin and the Thunderbolts) at the Greyhound in Fulham, and numerous gigs at the Half Moon in Putney.  Ah Sarf London (and I married a Sarf Londoner too).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Very sad news indeed Bob. A former colleague lost his life in the 7/7 bombings, he was standing next to the bomber on the Aldgate train. My sister lost a colleague/friend in the 9/11 bombing, he was the company security officer and he had evacuated all the other staff and only went back in to make sure everybody was out of the company offices, he was the only casualty.

Can someone remind me of the name of the halt that was halfway between Teignmouth and Newton Abbot please?

Now to todays's mystery question from the south west.  As far as I can trace there never was a halt between Teignmouth and Newton Abbot - the residents of Shaldon petitioned for one at to be provided at Shaldon Bridge but it never was was and equally attempts to get one (much earlier at Bishopsteignton also came to naught although it is just possible that in early SDR days trains did drop off passengers for the archery club in the vicinity of Bishopsteignton although I seriously doubt it was ever shown in the timetable (and delving one out to check is too much of a task at this time of day to be honest - ploughing through an 1850s timetable is not the simplest of tasks).  There was also talk of a siding at Bishopsteignton but all it actually got was a signalbox.

I heard back in the 70's that there was a halt but of course I never took much notice. Travelling yesterday I saw some overgrown structure close to the track on the 'up'. It seemed closer to Newton than Bishopsteignton, quite hard to position exactly. Next time I will look for the mile posts and check the 'down'.

Checking today,on the upside between 111.75 and 112 mile posts it appears to be a platform of shortish length rather than a signalbox base or pumping station.  I couldn't check the downside at the same mile post. 

Alas I can't find any record of there ever being anything like a platform in that vicinity.

Seen from a carriage window, or in an old schedule of trains. All we need to do is find the right timetable ... in the Twilight Zone.

• Like 2

We're not having a good time at the moment, my thoughts are with Ian, John and Bob in particular. A friend has been diagnosed with the big C, hopefully early enough to achieve a full recovery.

Bill

Ah the Toby Jug - one of many venues that I visited after I finished at Uni and went into work's wide world as I worked variously at Chessington, Hinchley Wood and New Malden, and I lived in Worcester Park, so it was one of the must visit places, often straight from work and staying til newar closing, then getting the last train to Motspur Park, and back down but I can't remember who I saw there (alcohol dimmed the memory right away).  I did see Mungo Jerry (playing as Brett Marvin and the Thunderbolts) at the Greyhound in Fulham, and numerous gigs at the Half Moon in Putney.  Ah Sarf London (and I married a Sarf Londoner too).

Many times saw bands at the Half Moon including the Bonzo Dog Band, the Bob Kerr Whoopee Band and my son's band, the Sex Monkeys.

In fact I taught with Sam Spoons' daughter (surprisingly normal). I also saw the Bonzos at Plumpton in 1969 when Keith Moon subbed as their drummer, dressed in a gorilla suit. The Who were headlining that night.

• Like 5

I thought that I was having a bad day taking nearly 5 hours getting back from the Heathrow area thanks to the M25 being shut.

Reading through ER today hasn't helped.

Dave - For what it's worth, you have my full cyber support.

IDL - Sorry. Apart form that, I'm lost for words.

Bob - Terrible news. Thinking of all of you

Bill - Again, there is always plenty of support on ER

Time to sort myself out for another ER tomorrow.

Night all

• RMweb Gold

Just got the news that our long time friend Graham Stenning, passed away at around 7.30pm. His close family at his side.

He will be sorely missed by us and his family.

We had some great times together on various holidays, beer trips and most of all operaing all our various layouts at shows. He was one of our most reliable and best operators (let alone great friend).

He trained many people at both Brighton and Selhurst to maintain trains that we have used every day for many a year.

Edited by roundhouse

Strewth.

Apparently the sun has only come out today for some people.

Dreadful news from all involved.

My very best wishes for the best possible outcomes and I'll be thinking of the loved ones of those who have been lost to us.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Seen from a carriage window, or in an old schedule of trains. All we need to do is find the right timetable ... in the Twilight Zone.

Or my, hmm, archive - I've got one for the 1850s and it is a sort of 'combined volume' including the B&E as well as the GWR and various other closely related companies (although it rather heavy on coach connections into Cornwall from Exeter - that being the sort of coach pulled by several horses); one from the final year of the broad gauge, one from the early 1900s, 1938 summer, 1947 summer, and a couple of public timetables from the 1950s.

Condolences now to Ian as well as Bob - a sad evening for far too many folk.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Today in ER has been a curates egg of bad and good news. My thoughts are with you all. That big C has a lot to answer for...

Fleetwood Mac were simply brilliant. Everyone was on top form and full of energy. Two a half hours of great music and I even caught the bus home OK. The two ladies are still bewitching! All the oldies plus some new stuff as well.

Finished off by Christine playing piano and singing "Songbird" with support from Lyndsey on guitar....very evocative for me as it brings back happy, if somewhat sad, memories.

Sleep well.

Baz

Nearly forgot...congrats Adyram!

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

I used to listen to Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac in 1968-69 at the Toby Jug at Tolworth. Also Chicken Shack, the Nice and ELP. Jolly, sweaty days...

Peter Green and FM..their version of Black Magic Woman gives Santana a run for their money!

Man of the world..albatross..gosh that was a long time ago but I do have a vinyl album with them on...

Baz

Baz . . I'm listening to Christine singing SONGBIRD as I type. .. as I said  ' 'You Lucky Man@

Andyram. . .Well done that  man

As for those suffering loss, I can only offer my Sympathy . . .My thoughts go out to you.

It's been too hot here all day, and still is . . .So Goodnight all and Sleep well.

John

• Like 2

Morning all,

Rather tired and jaded tonight, and certainly not helped by some of the news I've just read on here as some of it is a bit close to home! The time to catch up has truly drained me and so I am going to try to sleep now and post in the morning.

Kind regards,

Jock.

What I really need now is a cup of tea!

Mornin all, yesterday was indeed a sad day on here - but thinking positively, its the first day of a new month, a new start?

So white rabbits, Pinch Punch etc. and positive thoughts for all. :)

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. This has really been a wave of bad news yesterday, so I'd like to add my condolences for Ian, and my hope that everyone under the weather right now shall feel better in due course...

Looking like a scorcher beckons. Read the weather report for Madrid last night, where they apparently expect 41°C by the weekend...

• Like 3