The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

One very large benefit of today at work - summer dresses.

Made it much more bearable, somehow.

Aditi did think about wearing a dress today but didn't. She said she didnt think she had worn a frock to work for about 30 years. She bought some dresses when we went on a cruise in 2012. Matthew said he hadn't seen his Mum wear a dress before that. He was 20 then. The one she thought about today was one that I said made her look like Florence, the Magic Roundabout Florence.
  • Like 1

Does your bum look big in it? :stinker:

My bum looks big in anything.

Aditi did think about wearing a dress today but didn't. She said she didnt think she had worn a frock to work for about 30 years. She bought some dresses when we went on a cruise in 2012. Matthew said he hadn't seen his Mum wear a dress before that. He was 20 then. The one she thought about today was one that I said made her look like Florence, the Magic Roundabout Florence.

And you're still alive to tell the tale?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good evening.  Or good night.....I'm getting a touch late with my posts!

It was mostly overcast today, 24c and very close, now we have some rain and thunder. \update - bucketing down.....

Mad busy at work with the boss on holiday, but the recompense is we go on holiday on Friday evening!

Should I buy a 700?  not really suitable for my projected layout, but it's so nice.....despite the funny handrails.  Jury's out....

Should I buy a 700?  not really suitable for my projected layout, but it's so nice.....despite the funny handrails.  Jury's out....

In a word Y E S it's bound to fit somehow, and they looks stunning!

I WAS going to get a late crest, but the early crest was closer to home as it spent the last years of its life at Guildford (70C), so I think I'm getting that instead. Handrails looks fine to me, then again I don't count rivets either, so there ya go. :jester:  You guys have any deals on them??? :)

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 8

Evening all and first of all a big thank you for all of the kind comments following my news yesterday. Officially I start my role on September 1st, but realistically it has begun already. This morning was spent on the laptop reworking the whole school topics for next year, allocating each class the topics as the school expands by a new class. There was an interesting challenge when one member of staff looked at was given to her and stated that she wouldn't do some of what was on the list and "didn't have to". The poor deluded woman will have some harsh lessons to learn if that attitude does not change by September!!

As far as the workload is concerned I hope that it will be manageable. I feel like I have taken on quite a bit of the role throughout this year anyway.

Anyway. Regards to all. I hope today and the month will be better for many.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from a hot and sticky Estuary-Land. Weather forecast is for thundery showers later but no sign of any at the moment. Making final arrangements for our exhibition this weekend, no other events on at the school so parking should not be a problem. We also now have the assembly hall, increasing the size of the exhibition by about 50%.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Evening all from a hot and sticky Estuary-Land. Weather forecast is for thundery showers later but no sign of any at the moment. Making final arrangements for our exhibition this weekend, no other events on at the school so parking should not be a problem. We also now have the assembly hall, increasing the size of the exhibition by about 50%.

Many of the railway exhibition visitors didn't quite look as if they were going on the bouncy castle fun day last year! I hope to go on the Saturday.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

... This morning was spent on the laptop reworking the whole school topics for next year, allocating each class the topics as the school expands by a new class. There was an interesting challenge when one member of staff looked at was given to her and stated that she wouldn't do some of what was on the list and "didn't have to". The poor deluded woman will have some harsh lessons to learn if that attitude does not change by September!!

Matthew probably had a couple of similar teachers at junior school. Probably why his history topic seemed to be Victorians for three years. The head of biology in one school I taught in refused to teach anything that didn't fit in with his religious beliefs.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This particular teacher claimed she would not and did not have to teach a Geography topic based on Wales. Like I said she will lose that argument.

The staff would have loved that in the first school I taught in. Most of the staff were Welsh and some of the English had trained in Wales. Essex County Council used to send recruiting teams to teacher training establishments in Wales promising all kinds of incentives!

You should not apologize for that!

(BTW, where did you find all that Tri-ang standard track?   :)  )

'Tis mainly N-gaue Kato Unitrack with some Tomix Finetrack thrown in. Not everyone's cup of tea but it's useful for frightening away purists ;) Anyway enough of this model railway talk. Little Baby Squid evidently had some kind of brief lurgy yesterday, his little head was very hot to the touch and he was about 50% less active than usual, though by the evening he'd perked up and seems fine this morning.

• RMweb Gold

'Tis mainly N-gaue Kato Unitrack with some Tomix Finetrack thrown in. Not everyone's cup of tea but it's useful for frightening away purists ;) Anyway enough of this model railway talk. Little Baby Squid evidently had some kind of brief lurgy yesterday, his little head was very hot to the touch and he was about 50% less active than usual, though by the evening he'd perked up and seems fine this morning.

I don't know what current good practice is but when Matthew was little we would be reaching for the bottle of Calpol! We hadn't heard of the stuff until we had a child!

Tony

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Evening/morning all!

Busy day umpiring as I had to get everyone off the field due to thunder and lightning in the area (and then it rained!) The game was won by the School despite the Yorkshire 40 Club having some ex professional cricketers. Thursday is Past v Present which is generally good fun!

I ma still hearing (in my head) the music from last night. The whole group performed well  - could just do with some tickets for Sunday when they return but I doubt they could be obtained at a reasonable price.

Have a good sleep - hopefully Baby squid may be enticed to sleep by train videos!

Baz

• Like 17

Morning all,

Late to bed again but another day ticked of in the diary - I will soon collect my birthday wish from 2014 which was basically for another one!!

We're over the hump now despite the heat, and although very humid here at the seaside, we haven't had any thunder. I decided on a long cold G&T for tonight's night cap and raise the glass now to all digital friends out there!

John(KB), another set of lovely images for us to enjoy although I think I would definitely need an engine to get me round that circuit these days!

Ian(railsquid), you can't start Leo off soon enough in my opinion - I hope he grows to love the hobby.

Ian(Roundhouse), I suspect that you could have done without an awful commute today, after the upheaval you've had? I assume that by now, the liquid lost to the heat has been replaced - can't have you dehydrating!

PhilJW, hope your exhibition goes well this weekend - do you have a website to follow?

Neil(NHN), in case I forget, which has been known, have a great holiday beginning Friday - your year has been full of highs and lows so it will be good for Debs and you to have a break. Are you heading anywhere exotic, or is it simply an unwind?

Try to stay cool folks, and hopefully the thunder will stay away - I'm a little concerned that we haven't had a post from Dave(TG) today. Hopefully he and Is are OK!

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night all!

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Ah 1976, the tar bubbling up through the road that popped when you stood on it, the huge cracks in the lawn and the school serving ice cream every day to keep us cool......and the rain in Wales when we finally went on our family holiday!

Ah, yes.  Water brought up to the village in a small tanker...

The village was a whole lot smaller then, too.

Reading Polly's post above I thought for a moment it said "I put out some recycling at 7.30 and it came back in again to get out of the heat."

I really do need those new glasses!

I'll stick in the relevant pronoun next time....promise....  :jester:

I knew that I could put the kiss of death on a heatwave!  Currently raining in the Conwy valley, and has been off & on for over 3 hours.  At least we managed a good walk this morning when it was fine - up a 2000+ foot mountain, so I have had my exercise for the day and earned the glass (or two!) of wine that are now coming my way.

It was your fault it rained in red dragon land, today, then?

Not to worry - it freshened the close and clammy air and watered my plants.  Thanks.  :mosking:

In a word Y E S it's bound to fit somehow, and they looks stunning!

I WAS going to get a late crest, but the early crest was closer to home as it spent the last years of its life at Guildford (70C), so I think I'm getting that instead. Handrails looks fine to me, then again I don't count rivets either, so there ya go. :jester:  You guys have any deals on them??? :)

Yes, yes, yes.  Buy a 700.  Late crest here.  Apparently, one was seen in the Cornwall area but I've forgotten the details off hand.

And dresses?   Ah, I remember.  Those frocks I wore in 1976.    :spruceup:

Goodnight all and take care.

• Like 6

I don't know what current good practice is but when Matthew was little we would be reaching for the bottle of Calpol! We hadn't heard of the stuff until we had a child!

Tony

New to me, a quick Google search indicates it's a paracetamol-based medicine for children from 2 months, and the first page of results includes two links to reports that it may be linked to asthma. Though the newspaper reporting those is not exactly renowned for infallibility in scientific reporting. Anyway we've pretty been lucky so far, only this and one other transitory fever.

• RMweb Premium

I've been dipping in and out of ER as and when time allows.

Sorry to hear of the sad events. I've rated a few posts, but too many to keep up with. Apologies.

Perth exhibition was an enjoyable trip and then back to work with a vengeance, catching up on delayed jobs.

Hard work today spending 8 hours in a car. Air con on and it's too dry and I end up with a sore throat. Air con off and it's stifling. A no-win situation. However, a large cool alcoholic beverage at the end of the day was a suitable solution.

6 out of 11 prom night parking duties completed and the only two YPLAC's recorded - so far - were both black 4x4...... The idiot fast drivers were mostly of one type of driver, but to describe them here would probably get me banned for breaching forum rules. 200 kids tomorrow night with the really difficult night being 270 on Friday night.

Won an item on ebay earlier tonight for £100 less than my max bid of £395 - well chuffed with that result.

Thunder/lightning/rain has passed by in the last hour or so and it feels so much fresher. The lightning display was particularly awesome.

Have a good hump to POETS day folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 19

We seem to be in the centre of a large storm. . . Pyrotechnics going off all around. . .especially out over the north Sea, not hearing much thunder, though, and no rain  here. . .  but the air is very still and "claggy"

. . It's felt like trying to breath soup all day

Any ways. . . Goodnight all     and Sleep well.