The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

It would seem I have fixed the telewotsit on the boat. There were some beads (like solder beads) on the inside surface of the cast housing. I think the bushings/bearings had loosened up enough (after only 15 years) that the beads were interfering with the gear selector arm, so I knocked them off with a chisel.

I reinstalled it, went for a test drive and took the camera along so you can appreciate what us poor sods in the far-flung outposts of The Empire have to put up with.

Looking east from the middle of Rockford Bay. It's nice to see some clouds for a change.

post-25691-0-11028400-1436922958_thumb.jpg

Looking west into Rockford Bay.

post-25691-0-51338100-1436922987_thumb.jpg

Went for a bit of a burn up. This is around 43 MPH - full throttle. (The UV really does a number on the engine decals.)

post-25691-0-65317000-1436923020_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

IIRC you could buy a special mount for Seagulls 

Ed

Far as I know (Cornish boy here, growed up beside Newlyn harbour) seagulls just come and sit on your boat.  They don't need mounting unless you're into stuffing the dead ones!!!  

Morning all.  Very cold start at 1.6C this morning but there's a large yellow shiny thing in the sky now and it's been so long since I've seen one I forget what we call it.  Not making too much impression on the thermometer but it's improving the demeanour of the workaday folks.

It's pay day here.  Pay this, pay that, pay something else.  

Greetings to all.

• Like 3

Morning All,

Sorry to hear about your SiL, Jock.  I hope that the Docs can get to the bottom of the problem and that he is soon on the road to recovery.

It is a fairly mild morning here, with broken cloud.  It is due to warm up later on, but is currently quite pleasant.

There isn't a lot else to report, so I guess it is time for a coffee!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. I seem to just have heard seagulls mewing outside :O  . Jock, I certainly hope your son-in-law will be on the mend soon!

Our training turn yesterday was on Leoliner 1317 "Connewitz". Again, I found this type pleasant to drive, with power and braking controls being particularly accurate. I also think the controller handle has a nice, solid touch to it, providing clearly defined notches for Off, Minimum Power and Minimum Brake on top of it. Aside from these notches (and the "safeguard" notch just prior to Emergency Brake), regulation is notchless, of course.

dsc000314ekke.jpg

Here, we were stood in the Wahren loop at the top end of Line 10, also serving as the terminus for Line 11E, which complements Line 11 from Schkeuditz to Markkleeberg Ost on the section from Wahren to Klemmstraße.

Do take note of…

img_3119qjz06.jpg

…how the underframe skirts fold out to yield space to the bogies at maximum rotation. It's also worth mentioning that the bogie design is quite similar to that on the Tatras, with longitudinally mounted traction motors and inside wheelset bearings. Naturally, the Leoliner has asynchronous AC traction motors rather than DC motors.

dsc00032n0jiv.jpg

At Lößnig, which is Line 10's usual southern terminus. Due to engineering work, the western branch of Line 8 out of Grünau-Nord and the northern branch of Line 10 but have been connected for the next several weeks, transforming into each other at Wilhelm-Leuschner-Platz.

Lößnig is one of those termini where only the exit platform ahead of the loop is sufficiently high to allow wheelchair users to enter and leave cars, which is why in these particular locations, wheelchair users are, in fact, asked to board at the exit platform for convenience. In general, it is not prohibited (and indeed advisable) to take passengers through the loops if they can board or alight easier at the opposite platform to the one they should use normally.

dsc00038vpj3s.jpg

And this was at the Naunhofer Straße loop in Wilhelm Külz Park, just a few hundred metres up from the Battle of the Nations Monument.

We'll be driving a NGT12 again today, which I'm looking forward to.

Enjoy what you do!

• Like 13

Morning all. Yet another grey day.

Last day being ejumacated and an exam this afternoon. To be honest, I'm looking forward to getting back to work tomorrow.

Jock - I hope that SiL recovers quickly, but, as you say, he is in the best place.

Dick - Enjoy your time in France

Dom - Thanks to you, I know more about the trams in Leipzig than I do about the ones where I live.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Duncan! One thing I should add is that the legal framework for key technical aspects of trams and light rail in general is identical for all of Germany, so that, for example, all tram and light rail vehicles must be designed with dynamic brakes as the primary braking system; holding brakes with either solenoid, electrohydraulic or electropneumatic release; and magnetic track brakes. Auxiliary wheel brakes are permissible but optional. Our NGT8 cars did have electrohydraulic auxiliary brakes on the carrying bogies, but these were removed after a couple of years as they proved to be more troublesome than they were useful.

Other items such as signals – or, more precisely, signal aspects – are standardised as well, though the law does permit flexibility for its general framework to be adapted for specific implementations on individual networks. For example, signal aspects may be defined with a slightly different meaning in individual cities. On light rail systems such as the Stadtbahn networks in Cologne, Frankfurt or Stuttgart where automatic warning systems are in use, these are usually customised implementations, as opposed to the national standardisation for railway train protection systems.

• RMweb Gold

Just wet and miserable here in Surrey this morning. No chance of a pot of gold on our firlace as we have neither.

Last night the train was late as usual then a slow moving queue at the ticket office to replace our monthly travel card so we missed the bus. On the plus side we went for a quick pint in Wetherspoons.

The downside is that I didn't feel like much modelling but did finish weathering TAVISTOCK and a couple of Czech coaches. No they won't be running together but they do all have Kadees fitted.

Tomorrow is our friends funeral in Haywards Heath so it's going to be a bit of another sad day for many. Friends that are on holiday are either cutting their trip short or travelling down from the North West for the day plus many other people in the modelling world will be there let alone his family relations work colleagues and many others.

It's a long time that so many friends will have been in the same place but just wish it was in happier times.

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Cloudy and damp here and forecast to remain so.

Hopefully Jock's son in law has had a comfortable night.

I will be putting the bin bags out soon. Otherwise I am not sure what I will be doing today. Aditi is unwell and I don't think she should go to work. I was making tea and providing biscuits at 3am and sitting up to drink and eat seemed about as much as she could cope with then. She does have remarkable powers of recovery though.

Matthew did have his meeting with his research supervisor yesterday. The organisation they are working with want some questions added to their interview schedule. These may be the questions that they were told to remove recently!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Morning, sun is shining this morning, off to the dentist for a check up and then some gardening jobs.

Hope you son in law starts to make a recovery Jock

Enjoy your day folks

Alan

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Sunny start to the day.

Jock hope SiL comes through this OK.

Mickb. If you let a child pick up a cricket bat for the first time a lot of right handed people pick the bat up left handed. Coaches are told not to force people to bat right handed (Youngest Herbert bats left handed and bowls right handed).

For those travelling today I hope your journeys go well!

Now getting very envious of Some training.

Have a great Wednesday.

Baz

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Good morning all.

It's a sunny day in red dragon land.  :yahoo:

I don't know what I'm jumping up and down for, the digger is coming down to West Shore today to dig a trench to take the inner track.  Now, I don't know whether I'll be "helping out" or just looking "busy" discussing what's going on with other "helpers".  There always seem to be more than is needed but I usually get roped into doing something. 

Far as I know (Cornish boy here, growed up beside Newlyn harbour) seagulls just come and sit on your boat.  They don't need mounting unless you're into stuffing the dead ones!!!  

Morning all.  Very cold start at 1.6C this morning but there's a large yellow shiny thing in the sky now and it's been so long since I've seen one I forget what we call it.  Not making too much impression on the thermometer but it's improving the demeanour of the workaday folks.

It's pay day here.  Pay this, pay that, pay something else.  

Greetings to all.

When we returned from sailing on club annual cruises, the tender we had left behind on the mooring needed to be cleaned of seagull habitation before it was fit to get into.  Ugh!  One of the tricks to deter such squatting, we were later told, especially on the boat itself, is to put one of those brightly coloured rubber snakes or two on deck. It seems to work, well, sometimes.

Have a good day and hope Happy Hippo doesn't get stuck in the mud.

Hope you all cruise through your day.

• Like 14

The way round that one bats should depend on one's leading eye.  My left eye leads, so correctly I bat right handed.  My father batted right handed, so naturally taught me the same way round.  I can bat left handed, but have always been naturally dextrous.  In the field, I bowl(ed) right handed and throw left.

Of the seven sinister batsmen in the England team, six are actually dextrous (don't know about Ballance).  Going back a couple of generations, Graham Thorpe was a good right handed club cricketer, only reached county level after turning round.

Bill

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a warm and sunny Haut Limouson. Just a quick visit before we start the major job of packing and then getting it all in the car along with a few bottles of locally produced liquid that seem to have appeared. We survived the 14tgh Juillet celebrations though I was tempted to buy a trunkful of French Hornby O gauge tinplate stuff for 400 Euros but decided that a) divorce would be more expensive and B) it wouldn't fit in the car du to the liquid cargo.

Jock I do hope that your SiL goes on OK it doesn't sound nice.

Anyway regards to all as morning order are about to be issued.

Jamie

• Like 10

It's a beautiful morning here in Donegal, fingers crossed that it stays that way for the rest of the day. I can't remember when we last had a dry St Swithin's Day.

Jock, I hope the medics sort out your SiL's problem. I contracted a 'nasty' when I was working in the Middle East. Probably when wading through swamps while birdwatching. Not a lot of fun and it's still with me.

Our 5hp Yamaha outboard has a swivelling bracket that allows you to reverse. It's not very directional in reverse!

Grass cutting today (ahead of the rain and gales forecast for tomorrow) and I am expecting someone to come and service our sewage treatment plant some time this week. So no bike ride today but I did fit one in yesterday.

Enjoy SSD

• Like 3

Lots of worrying health problems this morning among ERs.

Hope Aditi feels better quickly, Tony.

Black Water Fever is very nasty, Jock, so we must hope for a different diagnosis and then a good outcome.

Bob: You have every reason to be proud.

• Like 12

Morning all, I can see a little blue through the rain and the clouds over Borough Market Junction.

Let's hope Jock's son-in-law recovers swiftly

Successful meeting with HMRC yesterday - setting spreadsheet king on them to explain how his formulae provided checks and balances seemed to work - either that or they glazed over....!

My father batted right handed and bowled left handed (and is generally a lefty). I am right handed but have (until recently) had a stronger left than right eye, so batting right handed suited me (allowed me to make the most of my admittedly limited ability more like). I like to think I generally umpired even handedly (which was rarer than it should have been in the leagues of Northamptonshire).

I'm looking forward to further pictures of Pluto when they are released.....

Have a good day all

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

The way round that one bats should depend on one's leading eye.  My left eye leads, so correctly I bat right handed.  My father batted right handed, so naturally taught me the same way round.  I can bat left handed, but have always been naturally dextrous.  In the field, I bowl(ed) right handed and throw left.

Of the seven sinister batsmen in the England team, six are actually dextrous (don't know about Ballance).  Going back a couple of generations, Graham Thorpe was a good right handed club cricketer, only reached county level after turning round.

Bill

I was right handed until I broke the elbow then had to become left handed, too, which at times did my head in.  I've now mostly resorted back to being right handed but that can do my head in.  The fickleness of the brain or is it just my age?  :O