Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Going to bath mi doggy, he absolutely mings.

Deed done, and I'm forgiven it would seem, though I'm not sure which smells worse, pre washed dog or wet dog. :(

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 6

Morning from the basement ready room on a "temperate" Long Island.

Uneventful travel to JFK, and pretty much nothing to report <yawn>

19 on the short drive into the office here, and expecting a high of 27 but supposed to be a little muggy.

Have a good start to the week.

• Like 11

Afternoon all,

Greetings from the Hospital. i've been checked in and have had my Notes reviewed by the nursing staff and physiotherapy. A light supper tonight and then spring cleaning inside and out. Surgery at 09:50 tomorrow, hopefully back in room by 13:00

I have a nice room (and all to myself) a number of high tech toys to play with (digital TV and Radio with hundreds of channels) and as ever, the electric Gomer bed is fun. At present I am bored out of my skull, but perhaps best to enjoy the calm before the storm

Oh I don't know. Lucy likes to roll in some pretty vile things, freshly shampooed and wet she still smells better than parfum du cow pat

Will check in later. Have a great start to the week.

iD

p.s. Before leaving for hospital I just had time enough to complete the furniture for Jamie's Yard Office Interior. Alas no time fo pictures, they'll be coming...

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 1

That's one very relaxed iD ahead of surgery, all the best with it.

Wet dog cannot compete with the pelleted chicken faeces, or whatever it is some up wind neighbour has (presumably) used on their garden. It has just been activated by the short sharp rain shower, and is propagating its potent goodness in the muggy air. Loovely, poofect, excrelent.

• Like 3

This morning we had rain. In Wales it's called King Rain.

Thankfully the 'king rain has now stopped and the sun is out.

Our 'king rain started (again) about 10 minutes ago - if there is one thing we don't need , it's MORE precipisstation!

EDIT - and just as I pressed send we had a clap of tuundah! - Ahhh! Summer!

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Evening all. Scorchio is the word. Never stops, seems like.

Though in the early hours, driving was actually quite pleasant with some high clouds in the sky! Our ride today was…

dsc00344a5kid.jpg

…1138 "Samuel Heinicke", seen here at Lößnig…

dsc00346qfjsk.jpg

…at the Klemmstraße loop at the southern end of Lines 11E and – currently – 11, due to engineering work on the Markkleeberg Ost branch of that line.

dsc00350oyjj3.jpg

And again at the Naunhofer Straße loop. We did think about whether bringing a blanket for sitting down and some food for a picnic might be worthwhile!

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all,

Greetings from the Hospital. i've been checked in and have had my Notes reviewed by the nursing staff and physiotherapy. A light supper tonight and then spring cleaning inside and out. Surgery at 09:50 tomorrow, hopefully back in room by 13:00

I have a nice room (and all to myself) a number of high tech toys to play with (digital TV and Radio with hundreds of channels) and as ever, the electric Gomer bed is fun. At present I am bored out of my skull, but perhaps best to enjoy the calm before the storm

Oh I don't know. Lucy likes to roll in some pretty vile things, freshly shampooed and wet she still smells better than parfum du cow pat

Will check in later. Have a great start to the week.

iD

p.s. Before leaving for hospital I just had time enough to complete the furniture for Jamie's Yard Office Interior. Alas no time fo pictures, they'll be coming...

That really is above and beyond Flavio but I appreciate the effort. Hope it all goes well for you.

Jamie

• Like 5

Afternoon all,

Flávio, Must start with best wishes for your procedure, we will be thinking of you! I'm glad to see that you've got internet access (impossible in Colchester General Hospital!) and hopefully you'll be able to give us an update when you feel well enough.

Dick, hope you have a safe journey back to these shores, and that the 'hordes' at Sangatte don't cause any grief. Shouldn't you have let Daisy clutch the bunny last night?

Robert, I agree that the 'Stellarium' is a fantastic source, but should come with a warning - it can take up a lot of your time!

PhilJ W, sorry to be so late on the Blenheim topic, but I watched the original 'rivets up' renovation of the Mk IV as I visited the museum often over the years it was in progress. When it finally took to the skies in 1993, it soon became an air show favourite. It was a true disaster when it crash landed at Duxford in 2003, completely wrecking the front of the fuselage. It has taken a very long time for a dedicated team to get the plane airworthy again, and as Phil mentioned, they had to adapt another cockpit which effectively made it a Mk I version. The 'strange noise' that Laurence reported, was the distinctive sound of two Bristol Mercury radial engines with open exhausts. (Assuming that the engines weren't damaged in the crash). The sound was also heard over Clacton earlier in the year when I believe it was test flying before appearing at the VE Day celebrations in May. Anyone interested in seeing this bomber flying should consider a visit to Duxford for the Battle of Britain celebration show on 19th/20th of September, which I will sadly be unable to attend.

I hope the week has started well for everyone, and things didn't work out as badly as you feared Duncan,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 15

Evening All,

My thanks for your good wishes. At present it is mind-numbingly boring. But I have Mrs iD's iPad and free WiFi so I can amuse myself if I don't feel like reading (RMweb and YouTube are my best buds right now).

Quite frankly, I hate being a patient: firstly, I don't like being treated as a layman, I know the nursing staff have to go through their lists but I am knowledgeable and would prefer a peer-to-peer interaction; secondly, on the other side of the stethoscope (so to speak) one is always busy, but as a patient it is long periods of boredom interspersed with moments of unpleasantness. Tomorrow promises to be more exciting, as will be Wednesday - when they expect to ambulate me for the first time.

However I mustn't complain too vociferously: my hospital room has all the amenities of a decent hotel (WiFi, Digital TV and Radio, en-suite shower and WC, lockable cupboard and personal safe, scrupulously clean), albeit a hotel with a rather clinical taste in soft and hard furnishings.

I have just my last meal for a bit. A so-called "light supper" it was a soft white roll, a slice of whole wheat bread and a slice of multigrain bread; butter, two pieces of cheese (one soft, one hard), some jam, hot coffee, cold milk and (ugh) a glass of chilled tomato juice. Post-op I'll be NPO until tomorrow evening (another light supper), then back to real food on Wednesday (from Wednesday onwards I have a choice of one of 4 dishes at lunch and 3 dishes for supper and these change each day). Food is pretty decent here (I had my knees replaced in this hospital [and by the same surgeon]), but rather oriented towards grains and vegetables as opposed to MEAT! I am sure that the prospect of having a decent slice of Roast Beef once home will speed up my recuperation.

Anyway, boys and girls, I'm off to finish the new Dr Who novel I brought with me (2 carry bags - one clothes, one books). I'll try and post tomorrow evening, assuming I'm "happy stoned" and relatively comfortable.

iD

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

No!

As regards the weather, normal service has been resumed. It's raining and it looks as though it's set in for a while. 

I have a briefing in fifteen minutes to receive my instructions for the day. It appears that we have run out of bedroom space, so Steph and I will be moving into the motorhome for the next three nights! Had a test run on the dishwasher last night to see if it was still working as we haven't used it since the last mass invasion. All OK.

Watched Life of Pi last night. Very enjoyable. Amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Hope your week goes well.

I watched the video a little while ago with one of the (now grown up) kids but couldn't bring myself to watch it last night. There's just something about it....

I'm just waiting for the crackling to go nice and crispy on our Monday Roast then I'll pop the Roasties in the oven.  In the meantime, carry on...

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Evening All,

My thanks for your good wishes. At present it is mind-numbingly boring. But I have Mrs iD's iPad and free WiFi so I can amuse myself if I don't feel like reading (RMweb and YouTube are my best buds right now).

Quite frankly, I hate being a patient: firstly, I don't like being treated as a layman, I know the nursing staff have to go through their lists but I am knowledgeable and would prefer a peer-to-peer interaction; secondly, on the other side of the stethoscope (so to speak) one is always busy, but as a patient it is long periods of boredom interspersed with moments of unpleasantness. Tomorrow promises to be more exciting, as will be Wednesday - when they expect to ambulate me for the first time.

However I mustn't complain too vociferously: my hospital room has all the amenities of a decent hotel (WiFi, Digital TV and Radio, en-suite shower and WC, lockable cupboard and personal safe, scrupulously clean), albeit a hotel with a rather clinical taste in soft and hard furnishings.

I have just my last meal for a bit. A so-called "light supper" it was a soft white roll, a slice of whole wheat bread and a slice of multigrain bread; butter, two pieces of cheese (one soft, one hard), some jam, hot coffee, cold milk and (ugh) a glass of chilled tomato juice. Post-op I'll be NPO until tomorrow evening (another light supper), then back to real food on Wednesday (from Wednesday onwards I have a choice of one of 4 dishes at lunch and 3 dishes for supper and these change each day). Food is pretty decent here (I had my knees replaced in this hospital [and by the same surgeon]), but rather oriented towards grains and vegetables as opposed to MEAT! I am sure that the prospect of having a decent slice of Roast Beef once home will speed up my recuperation.

Anyway, boys and girls, I'm off to finish the new Dr Who novel I brought with me (2 carry bags - one clothes, one books). I'll try and post tomorrow evening, assuming I'm "happy stoned" and relatively comfortable.

iD

Just for you then, Flavio.

http://www.james-atkinson.co.uk/Pictures/Dalek_1960s/PA-5145823-1008x1024.jpg

I'm hoping to exterminate replicate this bus incident on my layout.

The workshop that made the originals were next door to the school I used to teach at but at an earlier date.  I found out this afternoon that the parent company was based in Southall (Great West Road territory).  So, Dalek invasion then?

Hope all goes well for you in the next few days.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Well the mattress search went off ok and we actually managed to reach an amicable agreement so no blows were struck. We'd already decided to go for mattress only as there is nothing wrong with the base. (he said hopefully) Time will tell.

New railway room carpet has now been fitted and The Boss even likes that (I picked it without her seeing it) so things are looking up. Not sure I'd have got away with that in any other room.

Had to call a plumber as a small leak has developed from the WC cistern. It's something I could fix myself but I pay the local water company to sort out this sort of problem. The only downside is a couple of days wait as it's non urgent but he should be here in the morning.

No beer tonight - just a couple of glasses of wine.

• Like 2

Good first day back at work - workwise.

But then I learned that two people I work with have had their fathers die, another has been diagnosed with a cancer and one is "at his son's bedside" after son was taken ill on a school trip abroad.

Good, key people, all of them.

There, but for the grace ...

EDIT - I've known them since I started at the University 13 years ago.

Edited by Coombe Barton

• RMweb Gold

Show us yer carpet then, Bob! :)

Your wish is my command Andy.

New carpeted railway room:

post-5890-0-77722800-1439234415.jpg

This is what (somehow) has be dismantled and rebuilt to fit in there hopefully to become more of a model railway than a trainset:

post-5890-0-60944100-1439234529.jpg

If I work at my normal speed then I may be gone for some time!

• Like 6