The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Up early this morning and wired up a pair of D connectors ready to fit to the layout plus lined a little more of the Czech bus kit.

Alarm low battery warning is sounding so this morning is a good time to install and set up the rest of the new security system.

Two more blinds to install, fit new bath mixer taps plus working on the layout will ensure a busy day today.

• Like 12

Off to make a final cuppa before bedtime not done lots today but I am on holiday. Jock compared to you my back is an irritation nothing more, the fact that you were more sympathetic than my wife and children is the thing that worries me..... Mrs B has more pain than me every day I know mine will wear off hers hasn't in two years.

Know where you are coming from Skipepsi. For the last 7 days I have been in pain with muscular back problem after doing some work in our low ceilinged 'cellar'. Despite my considerable pain at times I have felt a fraud when comparing it to the constant pain my wife is in daily with her Fibromyalgia. Just as your wife is.

LE

• Like 2

Just breakfasted and now about to pack up the van for the trek home - goodbye Devon.

But we return in 12 days for our final week - this time to the east just north of Sidmouth.

However. The smell of bacon wafting over the campsite from several directions is proving mouth watering - but up and on with it.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Good morning, I was up early and being a lovely sunny morning hung out the washing after it's overnight laundry experience.

The Obergrumpenfuhrer has just issued the day's tasking instruction(s):

Wash the dog

Go into garden and

Pick fruit/uproot weeds/general tidying/etc. (not necessarily in that order)

Some of the hedging needs attention, although I'd prefer to leave that the the PH and his arboculturistic skills.

I also want to change the colour scheme of the garden buildings. (and the associated raised bed planking etc)

Light and dark stone has been vetoed by you know who, so I've suggested slate grey and cream trimming.

Black is a bit too stark, and would also show up the bird droppings rather well.

DD will not be consulted otherwise it might end up as pink with flamboyant sparkles, and the shed finials replaced with unicorn horns!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Breakfast eaten. Just off to sit by the lake and read until lunchtime. Lots of a Australians arrived yesterday. Didn't seem to be discussing the cricket. They seemed a bit nervous about some of the food. One man was poking everything on the starter buffet trying to determine what it was. I explained if it wasn't moving it was safe to eat. His wife was very amused, he wasn't.

Tony

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

On the subject of grandchildren (again) this is one of my prized possessions produced by Gemma when she was about 4.

TRAIN ALERT!!!

post-5890-0-28671300-1439111117.jpg

I know the trackwork is not quite to P4 standards but I love it and it will be going on the wall in the new railway room.  :yes:

PS I shall never forget the huge smile on her face as she came out of school and handed it to me saying "I made this 'specially for you Grandad"

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 18

Morning, gents. Just giving Abi her morning constitutional and by default myself. Think I'll have a run up to Whitrope afterwards as I've not seen the guys for a couple of weeks. Vegetable curry was superb last night though I failed to account for the volcanic side effects. Haven't had a blow through like that since my pre-op enema!

Hope you've all finished breakfast btw! ;-)

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

On the subject of grandchildren (again) this is one of my prized possessions produced by Gemma when she was about 4.

TRAIN ALERT!!!

attachicon.gifIMG_2526-1.jpg

I know the trackwork is not quite to P4 standards but I love it and it will be going on the wall in the new railway room.  :yes:

PS I shall never forget the huge smile on her face as she came out of school and handed it to me saying "I made this 'specially for you Grandad"

That's not track, P4 or otherwise, but a finely modelled truss girder bridge in low relief!

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.  It's a bit grey and soggy wet in red dragon land today.

Glorious yesterday down on West Shore.  The best I've seen it so far.

The club steam loco made a return after overhaul so we were like bees round the honeypot. Just a bit of work needs doing for it's steam test.

Then a lull before opening time so did a spot of bin lady duty - mostly picking up stuff blown in over the fence on the windward (beach) side.

There were plenty of members around the station so I was able to just amble around (and do a bit of chatting!) while collecting my train stats.  Lots of passengers mid afternoon so when I got on the back of the train for the last hour I gave pen and paper to Ray to complete - so much easier.  What an enjoyable day!

I wonder if the birds have been whispering on ERs because this is what turned up for public running - a 5 inch gauge Caley (Simplex).

post-14049-0-96402100-1439112100.jpg

Hope your day runs well.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bright sunny morning today and looks as if its going to stay that way.

Waiting for the bus in Burton this evening an unusual sound came from above, looking up there was what looked like a Bristol Blenheim / Bolingbroke! No camera of course.

It was probably the Blenheim IF that has been reconstructed to mark the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain. An interesting story, there are no known surviving Blenheim I's, the one now flying was built using a Blenheim IV fuselage with a Mk.I nose and cockpit which someone had acquired shortly after the war to make a car body, various other pieces were found as far afield as Canada and Australia.

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bright sunny morning today and looks as if its going to stay that way.

It was probably the Blenheim IF that has been reconstructed to mark the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain. An interesting story, there are no known surviving Blenheim I's, the one now flying was built using a Blenheim IV fuselage with a Mk.I nose and cockpit which someone had acquired shortly after the war to make a car body, various other pieces were found as far afield as Canada and Australia.

Thats what I thought but I only saw it tail end on

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I'll make it there one day, Polly.

Wasn't sure if MiL would be comfortable on it - or your passengers if she was.

On a raised track, it's like mounting and sitting on a very low horse.  OK for a couple of (passenger) laps but it gets the knees, hips and back after an hour or so guard/driver duty - in older age, anyway. The trolleys have padded seats so nice and comfy in that department. We're running 3-trolley trains carrying up to 10 passengers (less if all adults) but more than likely just a few at a time so you can have a trolley all to yourself if needed. We also assist those in wheelchairs to ride if they are able to.  We normally run 2 laps but 1 only can be requested as can "another go."  There's a fixed wooden bench for visitors and extra chairs are brought out when required.

There's a cafe by the entrance, beach, beach car park, a play ground further along, the coastal path, railway station less than 10 minutes walk away (and some good views for train spotting), and a 10 minute or so walk into the town for those who'd much rather go shopping.   Putting it like that, I can see that it could be quite an attractive venue for anyone.

But people still chose to chase the tide at low water.  The Harbour Master had to take his vehicle across the sandbank, yesterday, to get people off before they were totally cut off by the incoming tide.  Still, a couple of us watched to see that they all got back safely. 2013 news report: http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/wardens-patrol-llandudnos-west-shore-3413778

Edited by southern42
  • Like 5

Afternoon all,

Very hot and sunny here by the seaside, so nothing strenuous planned for a while.

John(Two_sugars), we will also remember him now - you've highlighted that it is all too easy to consider all those casualties as statistics, but this is a timely reminder that they were all someone's relation. A very touching post!

Dick, sounds like you both have a superb rapport with your granddaughter, something that we have been lucky to enjoy to the full with six grandchildren, and now the next rank, three great grandchildren (and another on the way!). It is so rewarding to see them soak up the knowledge that you lay before them. As 'grandad bob' says however, they do seem to grow up so quickly - my little 'blonde bombshell' suddenly seems to have changed into a beautiful young woman, almost overnight, and now she has found boyfriends, the stories she loved probably no longer seem so attractive!

DD, now that your short 'sentence' is over, I think that you and Mrs DD are to be congratulated for the kindness and care that you've shown MiL, who after all didn't choose to become ill and is probably blissfully unaware of just how bad her condition is. Your sense of humour certainly must have helped to cope with her, but I can appreciate what a relief it must be that it's over (for now at least!).

Dave(TG), delightful news on the 'Is' front, thanks for letting us know!

John(CB), hope your journey home is safe and in-eventful.

Have a good Sunday afternoon all

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I have just had a portion of the world famous (well that is what the locals claim) Bled cream slice. I may not need even the light supper we planned before marching through the woods tonight.

Part of the tour is a Partisan campaign photographic display. I think a quiet afternoon to recover from cake overload reading about what happened in this part of the world (just in case there are questions).

Tony

• Like 11

Morning all. Up early(ish) to put the van battery on charge so that I can go and get it changed as soon as possible.

John - A reminder of how those year affected so many families.

Dick - It seems like the holiday with Daisy is just what is needed.

Dave - It's great to hear that both yourself and Is have adjusted so quickly and are trying to keep as many things as normal as possible.

Breakfast consumed and starting on my second coffee ready for a fairly busy day.

Have a good day everyone

Hi Duncan,

In common with many others, we know a lot of people who are having to learn to live with this condition. We have always been most impressed by those who persevere with as normal a life as possible and we simply try to do the same. I can't measure where we would be if we allowed it to change most of what we've called normal for many years but I can say that Is responds very well to being included in as much normality as possible and a positive mental attitude seems to be an important weapon in this battle.

Ironically, several people are saying that she looks better now than she has for years.

Dave 

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 4

Back from a very pleasant twenty mile bike ride with Steph. Enough hills to exercise the lungs and legs, splendid views and a nice downhill finish. Not content with that, Steph went off to the beach for a swim. No sun but quite bright and just a gentle breeze. 

Now it's time to start getting ready for the next lot of visitors.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

A'noon.

Been splitting wood since 9am.  To say I'm knackered now is somewhat of an understatement!  Still, that's most of the winter's fuel in and ready now, unless it's a particularly bad season.  Nothing seasoning for next year though, supplies are a bit thin but we do have two trees to drop at Groudle so will have a share of them.