The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Meant to say that I hope the cuts and abrasions are OK Dick. Please don't get GDB round to help though without topping up the medicine cabinet just in case.....

Baz

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Blue sky, sunshine, no blood here and none forecast. It should be a warm sunny day.

Hope everybody going to Ally Pally has a great day. I'm only sorry that I won't be there this year.

As all the holiday packing etc is done I suppose I could have made it but there's bound to be something that crops up which only I will be able to deal with. Said he, wishing to make himself sound very important and indispensable to the safe and efficient running of the household. :boast: Other parties in the establishment may will disagree.

Tonight we're going to Abbie's boyfriend's 18th birthday celebration but we don't intend to make a late night of it.

Dick, let's be careful out there. St. Helier A & E is crowded enough these days.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Sunny here.

I have revised my plans for today. I won't be going to Ally Pally. I don't feel well enough to enjoy the day out. Perhaps tomorrow will be better.

Dick's tale of drilling and cuts reminded me of something that happened at school. The metalwork teacher saw a pupil about to drill something when a machine vice wasn't bolted down. He showed the lad why it could be dangerous. His demo actually made an inpression, a very deep one, as the item being drilled rotated and sliced along his forearm.

Tony

I once turned on the lathe with the chuck key still in. It shot off the lathe, hit me between the eyes and bounced off, through the closed window...

The teacher slippered me, then sent me for treatment.

[still can't find the rivetting tool. Also - check the size before you order metal. I now own a piece of ten thou brass that's half a metre by 25cm. I thought I was buying by area, and it would come in pieces. Any suggestions on how to cut it up?]

Do you now see why my avatar is simian?

Morning all. I hope this morning finds you well. It is a sunny morning here and, like Laurence, I am off to the Belper show this morning. Probably only a brief visit as there is plenty of paperwork to do in the afternoon. The fears I had yesterday morning proved well founded. For me, the observed lesson went very well. The children worked well and were on task throughout. In fact I do not think I could have done any more. Was it good enough? No! A list of things that were wrong and targets for improvement were presented to me at the end of the day. Last night I was too upset to post. I really cannot work any harder. Perhaps, at the age of 41, I am a dinosaur who no longer belongs in teaching. For five of the last six years my pupil progress data is there, in black and white, as being significantly above the national average. Last year's dip can be clearly explained by an inaccurate set of data posted by a departed teacher - the boss even recognises that. So surely I am not over the hill yet. But the truth is, I am exhausted and do not gave time to fit everything in. Clearly I am failing. I am beginning to wonder if there is any point in applying for the other jobs. After all, am I capable of doing the job anymore?

I will try and hang onto a few comments that kept creeping into the feedback about expectations against value for money,and how one member of staff had won a promotion which would bring £200 into school each time they go out to do their external role. Maybe, just maybe it remains about money, maybe just maybe I am not completely useless!

Best wishes to those attending Ally Pally.  I am obliged to sit it out this year being trapped in the Antipodes. 

Hope everybody going to Ally Pally has a great day. I'm only sorry that I won't be there this year.

Rick,

Now you're an underer-back-upper so to speak you'll be able to put the Woking exhibition in your diary for the autumn. 

The layout list is for last year's exhibition.

There's also the Farnham exhibition at Aldershot around the same time of year. 

Hope to see you there! 

• Like 15

Andy

Your results speak for themselves.

My attitude is also questioned for being too tough. But I'm getting the results - repeatedly - so people are wondering whether all the theory is right. Look at the 'learning styles' debate. Ifr you're getting the results and your kids are progressing that's the evidence.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

[still can't find the rivetting tool. Also - check the size before you order metal. I now own a piece of ten thou brass that's half a metre by 25cm. I thought I was buying by area, and it would come in pieces. Any suggestions on how to cut it up?]

Tinsnips make it go curly.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/34791-cutting-brass-sheet/?p=369340

Suggestions in above thread?

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning.  Temperature went from 3c to 13c in an hour here, and continues upwards by the look of it.  Glorious.  Debs is taking me out for a bowl in my chair.

JohnDMJ said IIRC, a few years back, confiscation, be it by police or customs, was declared as theft by the courts!

That may well be in UK law John, but we have our own laws here, we aren't in the UK or the EU.  The right to confiscate in these circumstances is clear, provided it is authorised by a more senior officer - i.e. Sergeant on duty, which can quickly happen.  I used to be in the job, don't forget!

Annoyingly left the TV on and found out the F1 qualy result.  Bah.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I once turned on the lathe with the chuck key still in. It shot off the lathe, hit me between the eyes and bounced off, through the closed window...

The teacher slippered me, then sent me for treatment.     :rofl:

I use SWMBO's big kitchen scissors they are like tin snips (which are a bit course), I don't know where she got them from but they are really handy and only use them when she is out just in case I knacker the blades and have to re-sharpen them.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Smiffy, you don't know someone who has a metal cutting guillotine do you? I have seen one in action at an exhibition cutting brass sheet up to 1mm thick without distorting the metal. I have a device for bending etched metal components, basically it is a hinge but has worked perfectly the few times that I've used it. Sun is shining so I'm trying desperately not to look in the direction of the garden. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 15

Nice sunny day here and I have done all the gardening possible within the limits of the wheely bin. It is now crammed full and I just can't stuff any more in. Collection day is next Wednesday but I could fill it again in a day at this time of year. Make the most of it folks, and stay safe all. 

Forgot to add that today sees the running season begin on the Ffestiniog Railway (others are available). Looking forward to another trip in a few weeks time. One evening last week we looked at the webcam at Tan-y-bwlch and saw a fox wandering down the platform, nose to ground and apparently on the trail of something.

http://www.festrail.co.uk/webcam.htm

Edited by Ohmisterporter
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

I did a bit of gloss painting earlier.  We bought the paint a couple of weeks ago, I prefer traditional gloss but there was only the choice of non-drip or quick dry gloss. I chose the quick dry.  When I had finished I automatically put the brush into a jar of white spirit.  The spirit remained totally clear, nothing, not even after swirling the brush and pressing it against the sides.  I checked the paint tin and the instructions said wash in water.  Water cleaned the brush no problem, but, water based gloss paint?  What's that all about?  Am I so out of touch with new materials?  I will wait until it is dry before commenting but I don't have much confidence.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

I did a bit of gloss painting earlier. We bought the paint a couple of weeks ago, I prefer traditional gloss but there was only the choice of non-drip or quick dry gloss. I chose the quick dry. When I had finished I automatically put the brush into a jar of white spirit. The spirit remained totally clear, nothing, not even after swirling the brush and pressing it against the sides. I checked the paint tin and the instructions said wash in water. Water cleaned the brush no problem, but, water based gloss paint? What's that all about? Am I so out of touch with new materials? I will wait until it is dry before commenting but I don't have much confidence.

A lot of indoor use gloss paints seem to be water based. I painted our internal doors and the radiators with an eggshell finish that was water based. It must have looked and smelt nice as Robbie stuck his snout in it. He wouldn't go near the vinyl matt or woodstain products. Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 11

I did a small experiment the other day putting dry clear varnish onto a seascape on my layout

The seascape now has a rather nasty brown hue to it. 

Note to self: Don't buy dry-clear varnish from Thames Water.  :jester:

Watching an ebay sale proceed. i have a near identical item that I was thinking of selling. 

So far the price achieved doesn't inspire me to bother. 

I'll wait to see what the seller achieves and decide thereafter. 

Edited by AndyB

• RMweb Gold

Marion found the water based gloss was not tough enough so doesn't use it. Admittedly it may have improved since then. Even the normal gloss is not as good as it used to be pressure on manufacturers to reduce VOCs may be the cause.

Andy you are not useless as your results show. No doubt there is financial pressure on schools they may also be pressure on assessors to find faults just to show they are doing their job. I suppose there is the question of whether being a teacher still suits you. My feeling is with a more supportive environment you would regain your confidence and not only be happier but do an even better job for the kids.

Dick you do not say whether you are trying to cut out parts or just reduce the sheet to smaller chunks. It is not an uncommon size that you have although 10thou would usually be in smaller pieces. For cutting out parts a piercing saw is fine just for chopping it down into smaller chunks the piercing saw may be a bit tedious, If you have some scrap ply and could sandwich the brass between to pieces clamped well down you could cut it through with a metal cutting blade in a sabre saw. I would clamp the ply down with a piece of wood along the edge of the cut as the saw cuts on the up stroke. 

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If you lived a little closer I could lend you one of my rivet presses.

As for cutting the brass, I use either the small guillotine (also used for Aristoes fingers, the full sized Aristoes heads were too big to fit so family stories go!) or a set of aviation tin snips.  Trouble with the tin snips is they might make the sheet curl a little.  Having caught my finger in one, the first thing I said was sheet.

We also have a chop saw with a blade that will cut metal.

Then there is  a bandsaw with a metal cutting blade, or failing that a good old fashioned hacksaw, although with metal that thin I'd secure it to a wooden sacrificial backplate to save on the screeching noise such sheet cutting operations invariably make.

Of course, I am merely a butcher of metals and wood. Debs would probably look at it, say something nice and the brass would fall into neatly cut pieces, and polish itself in order to make a good impression.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

That reminds me of Caledonia, Smiffy.

Glorious afternoon here, Debs took me to Laxey for lunch, we sat outside the restaurant in T shirts. 

Then into Douglas (aka The Big City) to top up on magazines and trundle up and down the prom.  The disabled bays are next to a raised pavement, OK, with ramps at either end, also OK.  The pavement is too high to get the chair down from safely.  The pavement has a dirty great litter bin and bench seats in it too big to get the chair past, to access the ramps.  Not OK. :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

• Like 2

That reminds me of Caledonia, Smiffy.

Glorious afternoon here, Debs took me to Laxey for lunch, we sat outside the restaurant in T shirts. 

Then into Douglas (aka The Big City) to top up on magazines and trundle up and down the prom.  The disabled bays are next to a raised pavement, OK, with ramps at either end, also OK.  The pavement is too high to get the chair down from safely.  The pavement has a dirty great litter bin and bench seats in it too big to get the chair past, to access the ramps.  Not OK. :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

Very perceptive, Neil! It was 'inspired by'. The cab was a bit off, and I didn't face the challenge of outside gear... It was made for the East Coker and Burnt Norton Railway, where the stations and names were taken from the poetry of TS Eliot. Hardly pretentious at all...

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Very perceptive, Neil! It was 'inspired by'. The cab was a bit off, and I didn't face the challenge of outside gear... It was made for the East Coker and Burnt Norton Railway, where the stations and names were taken from the poetry of TS Eliot. Hardly pretentious at all...

T E Brown might have been more appropriate.... :mail:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon everyone

It's another gloriously sunny day here, so I thought I'd take advantage whilst I could and went straight out to the workshop this morning. The first task was to make a stepped washer to go behind the bedroom door knob backplate, that task too around an hour. That included removing the door knob, backplate and replacing it once completed. I then decided to was the car, it's not been done since just after Christmas so was in a terrible state, but looks pretty good now.

I shall soon make a start preparing tonight's tea, which is to be a vegetarian lasagna, one of Sheila's favourites.

I hope all those who went to Ally Pally enjoyed the day.

• Like 16