The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Evening all. Glad to hear the ER meet went well. It sounds like our fellow travellers had a good day at Ally Pally. Here in the middle of the country the weather has been very nice with long spells of sunshine. After a longer than expected lie in I visited the Belper show this morning. What was supposed to be a short visit extended into several hours. I bumped into many familiar faces, including our fellow ER Laurence. I was very touched by the number of supportive wishes I received and the ensuing chats caused the visit to extend well into the afternoon. So many people seemed very concerned and all offered advice. Several people were retired teachers and it was heartening to hear that, almost all, had experienced or heard of something similar happening during their careers.

I returned much refreshed but family stuff took over so the planned paperwork did not happen. That means I will have to do it tomorrow and that does not help the stress levels.

Enjoy your Sunday all.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Early ' Morning all from red dragon land.

Hope you are all enjoying/ed Ally Pally.

Working party at West Shore this morning, though I spent a long time in the cafe queue for a couple of take-away teas. Good to be back over there after a winter of one cold/virus after another. 

Back home, and I stuck down the components for the base of the Bangor diorama.  Not as simple as it should have been.  I did exactly what I had planned NOT to do - stuck the top layer underneath the other instead of on top!  Fortunately, it came apart so I could reassemble it the correct way round.   What was I saying about new tricks?

The buildings will just be stuck on card, the rest will be modelled and sceniced.  I was playing around with the idea of moving from the sepia tone of the postcard for the back of the scene into full colour around the tank at the front.  Then, amazingly, I produced a practice piece of road using chalk pastels which turned out to be a colour match with the road on the postcard so it looks like that could be a possibility.  The reverse side of the cereal packet used for the road is brown and proved to be a good base.  It remains to be seen if I can get a half decent pavement - white plastic.

Delight of the day - fire red sunset.

If you are going to Ally Pally have a good 'un.

' Night all.  Nos da.

• RMweb Premium

We skipped most of the Layout Tours today. In Shakespeare the British Shoppe had TCP that hasn't expired yet (although there was debate later on about how much it could expire). Lunch at a country restaurant.

Afternoon with friend Dave who was on the layout tour, but few visitors. One very young (8?) lad who knew more than I did at that age; all the wheel arrangements. He even picked out the rarities -- the Big Boy came quickly but he needed a little prompt from his mother for the Challenger. Very active, but asking for new trains to be run before we'd managed the prior request. Dayle spent the time talking to Dave's sister who's a vet about cats and cat bites other topics of interest.

• Like 5

Morning all. After a good nights sleep I woke to a very cloudy day. I hope that it doesn't last.

A day of catching up on mundane tasks including washing the van.

Bob - I hope that you enjoy the cruise.

For those attending Ally Pally today have a good show.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 19

What time do you call this?!

Good morning one and all

After a 21 hour day yesterday [rise 04.00, bed 01.00] I could not shift my weary carcase from my bed so it is just as well that I have no pressing engagements today.  The evening was spent at the Green Note in Camden once I had found it.  It is another intimate venue with a good ambience [no real ale though].  Add The Hut People and you get a terrific atmosphere, particularly when the percussionist "played" two latex pigs which sort of grunted and accompanied another piece half-kneeling on the floor playing two copper saucepans.  I'm looking forward to playing the new CD!  The homeward journey was mixed, with some hilarity on the Northern Line involving two lads with broken legs, apparent victims of a misplaced meeting of skis and alcohol.  Less hilarious was just missing the semi-fast train to Bedford and having to endure the all-stations with one coach locked out of use.  The taxi driver at Bedford clearly did not relish being on duty at 00.30 and was such a grump that I gave him the exact fare instead of instructing him to keep the change.

Before that, of course was Ally Pally.  I need to make it clear that The Boss was at the 12.30 meet at my invitation.  I bought two books and two packs of Microrod and met some but by no means all of the inmates present.  A busy week lies ahead but more of that tomorrow.

Warm thoughts to all, particularly those in distress for whatever reason

Chris

• Like 19

Morning all and a lovely sunny Mothering Sunday here. Flowers and chocolate will be dispensed to all the mum's in the family throughout the day. 

Gammon is cooking in the oven and pineapple will be placed atop later. With an egg. And some steak cut chips. And peas. 

As for what time is it? The answer is: about an hour since next door's dog starting barking. 

All day yesterday and they're out again today....so most likely the same will ensue. 

Yesterday's fine weather enticed us out into the garden. Clematis and other climbers were tied in and mulched.

A few years ago I bought a grass-type plant which was meant to yield long bottle-brush type flowers. 

It didn't. And I rather wonder if the online shop where I got it substituted it. Whilst keeping the label.  :dontknow:

So we replaced it with a Pheasant's Tail grass which looks quite the part along with some spring flowering spikey thing. 

Took the first step in dismantling the garage layout last night. Tentatively pulling up the platform to salvage the station building. 

I'd posed myself the question: when is the best time to do this major change to the layout. 

The swift answer was: Life is short; get on with it. 

It seems that each new layout I embark on thins out the track - the next layout will have baseboards about 2' deep and, erm, one meandering track. 

Friday this week will see me in the pub (what's new, I hear you cry) - celebrating the life and recent passing of a brilliant scientist and mentor of mine.

His work received international acclaim and the only surprise was that he never received the knighthood that was much deserved.

Perhaps no-one (including me!) ever thought to put his name forward. 

Having said that among the many initials after his name was FRS, so his name is fittingly alongside those of other august gents.   

I think many of us who levered from his work would readily acknowledge: nanos gigantum humeris insidentes.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Obergrumpenfuhrer has just asked 'Where is the laundry basket?'

I looked out of the window and replied 'it is running around the garden with a couple of flower pots.'

She came to the window to look.........................

I think I had better make myself scarce in the general direction of the garage or workshop.

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

I didn't forget any clocks, however the furry alarm clock most definitely wasn't having any of this BST nonsense and decided it was still return to basket time after his garden inspection this morning.

I don't think I will cope with walking round railway exhibitions today but I should be OK taking Robbie down to the park. I will then drive over to Enfield and see Aditi and MiL.

I think in future I won't bother with pre booking exhibition tickets.

Have a good day.

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning.  Lack of mothers here nowadays.

Made a b*llsup last night, trying to cut down on painkillers and having guests to dinner (well, Trackshack John and his Mrs!) I took my bedtime pills early at dinner, having cut out the mid-day lot.  Debs had a bad night coughing and slept in the spare room after 3 to let me get some sleep.  I awoke at (new) 9am, with my foot going bananas.  Tonight I will take my bedtime pills at bedtime.....ahem.  A reminder though, that things are far from fixed in there as yet. There's a lesson in there.

I still miss exhibitions, it kills me reading about them!  I really fancy York at Easter, but it isn't going to happen.  I'd love to see Pempoul, which I think is perhaps the best scenic layout ever at this stage. It beats Pendon into a cocked hat. Ooh, controversial, Neil!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

Mother's Day gifts have been given to Sheila and birthday greetings sent to No2 son, who is on his way to Harrogate with his fiancé, who is treating him to a weekend away, nice.

The sun is shining and we are awaiting No 1 son's arrival.

Back later.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Luckily the only timepiece that does not automatically adjust in my household is my watch which I reset before going to bed. Strangely enough my bedside clock went from 12:59 to 2:00 wheras the kitchen clock was still showing GMT until a later hour, not that I waited up to watch it change. My own body clock is still set at GMT and takes about a week to adjust. I pre-book for some shows, the open days at the LT museum at Acton Town but only to avoid the long queues, sometimes it can take an hour to get in. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 11