The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

A three piece sleep was had but it totalled 7 hours so i was rested at last.

This did leave a shortage of time for the triple S routine before heading to the city.

07:00 Nice and quiet when i went into town, but the bits i wanted hadn't been delivered yet so i went on the the DIY shed and finally got the big sheets of polystyrene i needed.

08:00 After that it was off to the the sailing club,

08:45 i hooked up the crane to the back of the landrover and then got the boat round from its mooring. The tide was so low in the dyke i ran aground, luckily with so many boats having left from the winter or not launched for the summer the decking along the side was empty. So i got onto the deck and pulled the boat over the shallows with some difficulty. Once tied up under the crane i went off for a coffee.

10:00 As I finished the coffee my sailing compatriot turned up, we hooked up the boat to the crane then i started playing Mr Rusty, winding the handle. Many turns later i had it clear of the water. Then he took over and carried on winding up for another 3 feet of lifting.

I then drove the landrover slowly forward towing the crane 20ft till there as enough room to push the trailer underneath.

12:30 boat fully tied down and ready for moving, a mast he had brought me, tied on the top of the landrover, we reported to a cafe for our traditional pasty and coffee.

13:30 head for home.

14:00 get home swap the landrover for car, drive back into town pick up the bits i need and drive back. Norwich was chaos, all the main roads, nose to tail traffic. Luckily i know the area i was going and used a few back streets to escape. Norwich council is turning the whole city into a 20 mph zone except for a few main through routes. Too many cockwombles to list..

16:00 back here.

Type this, as i feel knackered, lying on the sofa, coffee supplied by SWMBO. Very shortly it's triple S time again as at 18:00 it's time to set off for a pub near the sailing club and dinner for 120 club members.

Having bored you, time to climb the stairs and test the water... See you tomorrow...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Been a lovely day here quite pleasant for bricklaying am now re-fuelling with Apple pie and cream before taking the dogs for another walk. Clocks tonight I think, there goes an hours kip well unless we forget to re-set the clock.

Don

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Blue sky, sunshine, no blood here and none forecast. It should be a warm sunny day.

Hope everybody going to Ally Pally has a great day. I'm only sorry that I won't be there this year.

As all the holiday packing etc is done I suppose I could have made it but there's bound to be something that crops up which only I will be able to deal with. Said he, wishing to make himself sound very important and indispensable to the safe and efficient running of the household. :boast: Other parties in the establishment may will disagree.

Tonight we're going to Abbie's boyfriend's 18th birthday celebration but we don't intend to make a late night of it.

Dick, let's be careful out there. St. Helier A & E is crowded enough these days.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Hi Grandad bob,

I know the place well - worked there from 1960 until 1973 - but I seem to remember that unless its changed the A&E department space was very limited.  That time included the entire period when because of the 'Epsom salt' problem they had to redo all the foundations of the main block by jacking it in stages.  As a civil engineering project a lot of what was learnt has since gone into some of those high rise 'superior' buildings in London centre.   In the grand scale of things I think that someone has it down for closing - a daft idea because we need all the NHS beds available these days to cope.

Peter

• RMweb Premium

I was really struck by how good the daffs are this year.  Large section of roads over here that are boundaried by sod banks have a lot of daffodils in them, and they are absolutely spectacular at the moment.  Together with the yellow gorse which is also prevalent on field boundaries, the island is ablaze in yellow.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Evening, troops.

A bright and sunny day was highlighted by a trip to the garden centre, the main purpose of which was obtaining some flowers for MiL's grave. I'm sure that wherever she is now, she will know we continue to care for her, so this isn't intended as a sombre note.

As for Andy, I think I can only echo John's comments...

Andy

Your results speak for themselves.

My attitude is also questioned for being too tough. But I'm getting the results - repeatedly - so people are wondering whether all the theory is right. Look at the 'learning styles' debate. Ifr you're getting the results and your kids are progressing that's the evidence.

...that the fact that the teaching you deliver yields demonstrably positive results most definitely is something you can point to in any possible job interview, and which is something every headteacher who really knows their stuff and who isn't a total bozo will recognise.

Saying that, I do also second the opinion that you do need to get away from the school you're currently working at before the beast that is self-doubt begins rearing its ugly head in earnest and eating away at your soul...which is possibly the greatest danger I'm seeing at this point. Speaking from personal experience, that is.

Dinner tonight will be veal escalope with Green Sauce and potatoes, which will doubtlessly be followed by a sip of cider.

Cheers, folks...

Edited by NGT6 1315
  • Like 19

Evening all

We have a new addition to the family Chez Olddudders - Martin the donkey. About 20, gelded, never raced, rallied or rolled, and with awful feet. I will be asking the farrier to visit soonest. He is rather sweet, has brayed once, and his initial awe of Varian (almost 36, and used to being in charge) seems to be waning already. He hung around a little too close while she finished her dinner, was into her abandoned feed-bucket the moment she left to get a drink. I think he will prove to be rather clever.

It hath been very breezy today, and the gay profusion of daffodils opposite the house is looking a bit windswept, which is a shame. More mowing done, though, as residual damp in the grass has reduced dramatically thanks to that wind.

We've always wanted a donkey (and chickens too) but our covenants don't allow it and we really don't have enough space. We've talked about moving so we would have some acreage. We should have done it ten years ago but it ain't happening now. The next move will probably be into assisted living.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all,

And went the day well (er, most of the time).  Despite a slightly tangled timetable (or some silly late running?) I managed to make my connection at Reading on the outward journey in a couple of minutes - which happened to be all I had in hand due to the aforesaid tangled timetable.  Thence all worked as it should notwithstanding it being National Cockwombles Day on the London UndergrounD which seemed to doing some sort of flash mob effort in people not knowing where they were going hence not having a clue how to get there and in the meanwhile spreading out as far as they could across corridors while walking almost slowly enough to start going backwards.   Strangely even by the time of my return journey they didn't seem to have dispersed although their number had slightly reduced.

Going up the hill on the W3 was its usual pleasant - if some what overcrowded - jaunt but no problem and the queue to pay seemed to flow quite well.  Usual nice show in probably one of the best venues used in this country for model railway exhibitions as the main hall is quite light and airy even when busy.  Duly impressed by Dobris which has progressed since I last saw it and has some of the best sound I've yet come across.  Why best? - well the volume is sensible and the sounds actually match what is happening, most impressive.

The 12.30 meet duly met (even if I happened to start by being at the wrong end of the layout) and felicitations and quality discussion were duly exchanged with various of this place on the forum, and even the Boss gate-crashed but assured us that he had been invited and had not been wire-tapping or otherwise monitoring our activities.  Nice layout to meet by although I'm not entirely sure what was going on along the branch line to 'the other lot' up by the castle.

The return journey westwards also had its amusement (sort of) as my 'fast' train to Reading duly crawled approaching Maidenhaed and managed to arrive in Reading 7 minutes late thereby totally trashing my connection and leaving me with an hour to wait for the next one.  In a sudden fit of inspiration I decided to visit the EE shop in the hope that they would either restore my 'phone's ability to make calls or if they couldn't at least there might be a well shaded orifice where I could shove it.  They duly handed me over to the 'apprentice' who seemed very competent at pressing buttons and attaching credit to the 'phone although he might have been inspired by my threats about what would happen if he wasn't successful - I got the impression his colleagues would have been quite amused if he hadn't succeeded and would probably have sold tickets.  Anyway no fun - William duly succeeded and credit added.

Then with nearly an hour still to go before getting home I happened across the 'bus stop whence 'buses heading in our direction depart and having made some timetable inquiries (what time does this 'bus leave please?) I duly lashed out the grand sum of £3.50 (I lack one of those twirly things).  Having ascertained the national origin of the driver I also greeted him in his native tongue which he rather liked thus when we encountered the local queue of traffic he was quite happy to let me alight at a location which suited me rather than an official stop - shorter walk up a less steep hill than from the railway station so I not only saved time in that respect but got home about 25 minutes earlier than I would have had I waited for the train.  I did however discover why I'm not a keen traveller on 'buses as even this modern vehicle delivered a not much better ride than the 50 year old Dennis Loline I rode on to & from Basingstoke show a couple of weeks back.

Herself's garden handiwork duly admired, takeaway for the evening meal to be ordered shortly.  Enjoy the rest of the evening one & all.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I've checked another couple of times and she is 100% female. That reminds me however, on a film of banned adverts there is one from Thailand for special panties for girls who don't want to be molested on a night out. They have some 'extras' fitted into the gusset. :jester:

Seven ER's found the above 'Informative/useful' ?????

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

HEALTH WARNING.

Our leader Mr Y is in possession of a group photo of several ER's whose meeting he gatecrashed. He has threatened to use the resultant material for nefarious purposes so he has been warned. Please do not view the images from a close distance it may seriously damage your well being.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Seven ER's found the above 'Informative/useful' ?????

Informative yes, useful no.

But we can't choose one or the other!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

There's nowt so queer as folk.

Except for me and thee, and thee's a bit!

That's how the sentence is finished off in our household.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

And a fair few clearly haven't got a clue what those white lines on the tarmac mean :rolleyes: :P

Don't get me started about those who seem to have no clue as to what crosshatched road markings mean! :rolleyes: :punish:

• Like 1

Evening all

Beautiful sunny day here today, too. Great to feel some warmth from the sun.

Managed to get some work done in the garden - the first for a long time. Perhaps we should get a donkey? Congrats on being the owner of Martin, Ian (OD), I hope you're all very happy together.

Just spotted in Gabe's diary that the hour going forward tonight is for European Summer Time, but that's Filofax for you. On Wednesday, remember to set your clocks back to 1973 :no: :O 

Have a good evening and hope that tomorrow is as good weatherwise as today.

Mal

• Like 15

Chris F: an admonishment! I have not seen the "Official ChrisF on Tour" allowing you access to Ally Pally on Farcebuk!

Is it likely that any co-respondents will be in attendance tomorrow (26th) with a view to a planned meet?

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I didnt get chance to meet up lunchtime as I was eating lunch before relieving our other crew for their lunch break.

However tomorrow we have a few extra helpers so might get chance to meet up.

Good to meet with a fair number of  people during the day including  Mike  (Stationmaster).

The latest Bulleid rebuilt '603 Sqaudron' has a new home and has even had a test run on the layout today.

A longer journey getting home this evening (just under 2 hours)  along the North circular and M25 but a good evening in our local.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Don't get me started about those who seem to have no clue as to what crosshatched road markings mean! :rolleyes: :punish:

The secret is the line bordering the cross hatched area.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

The weather today has been glorious all day, I didn't need to wear much this morning whilst washing the car, just a T shirt and jeans was all that was needed.

Sheila and I both enjoyed the vegetarian lasagna, neither of us are vegetarian but we like vegetarian food, so every now and then I'll cook up some sort of meat free dish. Tomorrow we're having cottage pie, made with beef and served with lots of veggies.

As the clocks go forward tonight we're grabbing an early night, goodnight all.

• Like 18