The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

What I don't get is our bedroom clock radio decides it has to go forward an hour 48hours before it should, so it's been BST in the bedroom since Thursday morning.

That's leap years for you! 

• RMweb Gold

......water based gloss paint? .............  I will wait until it is dry before commenting but I don't have much confidence.

Mrs BoD has not yet noticed that the glossing has been done.

I was right to lack confidence in it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

G'day all,

Seemingly a day of relaxation - especially for herself who is having a considerable extra kip after her gardening exertions yesterday and has no meal to prepare this evening as we'll be off to a pub which serves excellent food.  After sometime drying out from yesterday's alcohol consumption laddo breakfasted out and has departed late for the GCR - I hate to think what yesterday's 'treat' at Sonning cost his employer but at least George didn't appear offering coffee.

I understand the management adjust some household clocks before returning to bed - I don't need to adjust my watch but instead need to get used to the fact that it is now only 6 minutes fast instead of 66 minutes fast while I also need to take note that the car clock is no longer an hour ahead of most other clocks and time signals.  Far more fun to not bother with changing the two; and very amusing when during the winter some years ago a woman asked me the time (outside WHS for some reason) and before I could reply she'd grabbed my wrist, looked at my watch, muttered some sort of distress call plus expletive, and started running to a 'bus stop - didn't even give me time to tell her that my watch was set on Summer Time.

Have a good day folks.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I still miss exhibitions, it kills me reading about them!  I really fancy York at Easter, but it isn't going to happen.  I'd love to see Pempoul, which I think is perhaps the best scenic layout ever at this stage. It beats Pendon into a cocked hat. Ooh, controversial, Neil!

I think it is unfair to make such a direct comparison as Pendon is a Museum of country life whereas Pempoul is a dedicated model railway.

Needless to say, both are magnificent examples of the modellers art, but I have always categorized models, so Pendon is the museum style take on English country life.  Possibly what one might call, chocolate box modelling, which I would suggest  also mirrored the modelling style at the time ,that Pendon first started. Much before we thought about gritty realism before the grot. grime and weathering school took over.

Pempoul happened upon the scene nearly half a century later, and I feel is firmly in the Francois Verlinden school of modelling. 

It would be interesting to see how long it would take Gordon and Maggie Gravett to produce all the various scenes at Pendon, in the modern style complete with weathering  and and more realism. Didn't Pempoul take them about a decade?

• Like 11

Morning.  Lack of mothers here nowadays.

Made a b*llsup last night, trying to cut down on painkillers and having guests to dinner (well, Trackshack John and his Mrs!) I took my bedtime pills early at dinner, having cut out the mid-day lot.  Debs had a bad night coughing and slept in the spare room after 3 to let me get some sleep.  I awoke at (new) 9am, with my foot going bananas.  Tonight I will take my bedtime pills at bedtime.....ahem.  A reminder though, that things are far from fixed in there as yet. There's a lesson in there.

I still miss exhibitions, it kills me reading about them!  I really fancy York at Easter, but it isn't going to happen.  I'd love to see Pempoul, which I think is perhaps the best scenic layout ever at this stage. It beats Pendon into a cocked hat. Ooh, controversial, Neil!

Have a look at Little Muddle, Neil

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Well, I hoped for normal service, but with 30747 at work every day, and the taxi runs, shopping, and the computer being needed for "serious" matters, there just haven't been enough hours in the day to allow me to be here as well, it's been a sort of dipping in here and there sort of time.  Not helped by a few jobs around the house, and with the good weather this last few days, the G word was uttered in earnest.  So when I was checking Lily's hidey hole behind the buddlea, I found that one of the fence posts had pulled, and taken the top stone of the wall with it, so out with the bricklaying tools, and the cement to put things right before the next strong wind.  The today, a bit more weeding. Hence the absences  So as usual, generic greetings, and if there is anything that I should know, please do PM me.

As with Tony, the furry alarm didn't change with the rest of the clocks - most of ours change manually, so I did them this morning.  The one in the car never got changed for the winter, so is now right.  I only ever manage to get it changed when the car is at a main Peugeot dealer, as the model which I have has a different system from any other, and it is not covered in the manual - a mechanic whizzed through it once for me, but I promptly forgot, and since all the other menus are also controlled by the same routines, and I don't want to change any other settings, I just left well alone.

Back tomorrow, but there'll be no hoovering here, as I washed the filter and it's still wet - 30747 has come up with the bright idea that we should buy a spare so that the hoover is not out of action - shame that I can't find the right one on eBay - though I fear that the maker's website will have to be a port of call soon...

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

G'day all,

Seemingly a day of relaxation - especially for herself who is having a considerable extra kip after her gardening exertions yesterday and has no meal to prepare this evening as we'll be off to a pub which serves excellent food.  After sometime drying out from yesterday's alcohol consumption laddo breakfasted out and has departed late for the GCR - I hate to think what yesterday's 'treat' at Sonning cost his employer but at least George didn't appear offering coffee.

I understand the management adjust some household clocks before returning to bed - I don't need to adjust my watch but instead need to get used to the fact that it is now only 6 minutes fast instead of 66 minutes fast while I also need to take note that the car clock is no longer an hour ahead of most other clocks and time signals.  Far more fun to not bother with changing the two; and very amusing when during the winter some years ago a woman asked me the time (outside WHS for some reason) and before I could reply she'd grabbed my wrist, looked at my watch, muttered some sort of distress call plus expletive, and started running to a 'bus stop - didn't even give me time to tell her that my watch was set on Summer Time.

Have a good day folks.

I have never altered the clock on the car since I bought it. The first time the clocks changed I kept meaning to check how to do it in the manual but the clocks changed back before I did so I just left it. It started out as GMT but at one point some mechanic changed it to Summer time at a service. It is currently about 10 minutes fast. Yesterday it was a course 70minutes fast. If we have an appointment we leave by the time on the clock indoors so it matters little. I try not to keep looking at the clock if driving as it can make you speed up. FiL had an obsession with clocks and watches the car clock being that wrong really bothered him, much more so when it was slow than fast.

Northroader clock has obviously been set 48hrs ahead.

Don

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

I managed to alter the clock in my car without looking at the manual so it must be a well designed user interface. I did get to alter the clocks at MiL's that neither she nor Aditi could reach. MiL also has a large format LCD clock. That took a while to sort out.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 2

Just spent an hour and a half taking a large layout apart in the garage. 

Some of the screws used to secure the baseboard joists were as large as the screws holding parts of the garage roof up. 

This may have been overkill. 

Or proof of a quality job. 

I've temporarily confiscated the garage door key just in case other family members* venture in their and have a dicky-fit at the (temporary) mess. 

*swmbo

I'm looking to source something like these leveling feet and bracket.  I'm trying to compensate for the sloping floor.  

Anyone used similar and got a recommendation?

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Just spent an hour and a half taking a large layout apart in the garage.

Some of the screws used to secure the baseboard joists were as large as the screws holding parts of the garage roof up.

This may have been overkill.

Or proof of a quality job.

I've temporarily confiscated the garage door key just in case other family members* venture in their and have a dicky-fit at the (temporary) mess.

*swmbo

I'm looking to source something like these leveling feet and bracket. I'm trying to compensate for the sloping floor.

I used hammer in t-nuts and threaded rod with feet. I think with hindsight the feet you illustrate would have been better. Moving the layout a bit either tore out t nuts or split the trestle legs, that probably should have been thicker. Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 7

I'm looking to source something like these leveling feet and bracket.  I'm trying to compensate for the sloping floor.  

Often wondered why levelling feet? Why not a levelling mechanism at the top of the frame - same principle, but much easier to adjust and in closer proximity to where you want the level. 

This principle applied on St Merryn, I understand.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 10

A slightly less expensive option.

(I do have a reputation to maintain you know.)

On that note swmbo asked why I didn't shove the un-used half of the sub-baseboard underneath the half I'm keeping. 

My erudite response was: "Erm...."

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Hmm Pendon.  I have no issue with it, but many hold it up to be THE finest model railway there is, bar none.  It's good. it's very very good, but there are better. The Gravetts could probably do it in the same timescale it has taken, and lets face it there are a few folk helping at Pendon too.  If Pendon wasn't GWR I wonder what it's standing would be?  To be fair it probably wouldn't have even happened, the popularity of said railway possibly made it possible, plus the drive of its originator.  End of controversy for today!

Had a nice trip out to Peel Prom an ice cream this afternoon, from Wednesdays snow to 16c on the seafront today!  Difficult to navigate the wheelchair around the crowds, it was busy.

• Like 8