The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

The boiler being replaced is a Potterton Netaheat. It is 27 years old. They seem to be failing at about this age going by evidence from neighbours. I would rather have it done now as a planned replacement not next winter. It looks as if "before Easter" is likely for installation.

I think Aditi views the central heating work as being an excellent reason for tidying the loft and garage.

The replacement double glazing panel is coming tomorrow too.

Tony

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Ian A... money or no time to do anything???  A difficult balance but hey I can take my pension in July so that's when I go to doing work for me rather than others... well... unless they are mates....or I need to buy something special......erm.. financial assessment required....

Baz

• Like 16

That would be a Scottish number plate, then! The second letter for plates issued here is always S.

I must get out more!

Mal

My first car was a delightful 1955 VW. Cost me 35 quid I'll have you know. It was "frae Edinbury" with a NSC plate.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Ian A... money or no time to do anything???  A difficult balance but hey I can take my pension in July so that's when I go to doing work for me rather than others... well... unless they are mates....or I need to buy something special......erm.. financial assessment required....

Baz

Baz,

Don't bank on it - 7/52 in retirement and MR building - not in sight!

Peter

The boiler being replaced is a Potterton Netaheat. It is 27 years old. They seem to be failing at about this age going by evidence from neighbours. I would rather have it done now as a planned replacement not next winter. It looks as if "before Easter" is likely for installation.

I think Aditi views the central heating work as being an excellent reason for tidying the loft and garage.

The replacement double glazing panel is coming tomorrow too.

Tony

Most of the houses in our road had Netaheats, installed when built. The local plumber is doing a roaring trade in full replacements, having previously done a roaring trade in replacement parts. The pcb was replaced on ours a couple of times and most recently the heat exchanger failed - we figured it was more cost effective / reliable to spend around 3 times as much and get a complete new system. 

• RMweb Gold

Most of the houses in our road had Netaheats, installed when built. The local plumber is doing a roaring trade in full replacements, having previously done a roaring trade in replacement parts. The pcb was replaced on ours a couple of times and most recently the heat exchanger failed - we figured it was more cost effective / reliable to spend around 3 times as much and get a complete new system.

The fan failed in ours a few years ago. That part was available.Our pcb panel hasn't failed which is unusual it would seem. Chap who came round today said he was thinking about retiring but people in our road seem to keep offering him work. We are having a new larger hot water tank, a new header tank and some stop-cocks that look suspect replaced. Also getting a water softener. None of this work will require me dismantling train layouts in the garage, though I will need to rehouse some other stuff stored in the garage. Tidying the loft will be somewhat of an effort but it does need doing. Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just woken up after my post meal snooze, not as is as usual by someone offering things i don't want on the phone.

But by something the seaweed inspectors have not forecast.

It's chucking it down here on the coast of Norfolk complete with a huge thunder and lightning storm.

Most unusual (the The and L) for this time of year.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thunderstorms were forecast for here but didn't happen. Perhaps they headed your way instead. As it wasn't inclement weather Aditi suggested perhaps I could remove the climbing rose from the trellis on the front of the house. I managed that successfully but managed to stab myself removing a label from a new lavatory brush.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Thunderstorms were forecast for here but didn't happen. Perhaps they headed your way instead. As it wasn't inclement weather Aditi suggested perhaps I could remove the climbing rose from the trellis on the front of the house. I managed that successfully but managed to stab myself removing a label from a new lavatory brush.

Tony

Grandadbob would be proud of you!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Someones got to be accident prone while Bobs away!

I bleed impressively, looked like spilled Rioja on the floor and worktop. Fortunately it was the same finger I screwed to a fence panel a few weeks ago so I know it repairs well.

Tony

• Like 9

My first car was a delightful 1955 VW. Cost me 35 quid I'll have you know. It was "frae Edinbury" with a NSC plate.

Edinburgh indeed, NSC was issued only for July to September in 1955.

NSF was then used for September to October and NSG for October to December that year.

I quote Glass's index for this info.

• Like 3

Evening all. Just a quick check in to say thanks for the kind comments once again. I survived the course. Interestingly the organiser gave a slightly different take on the non-swimming issue than what was fed back to me. Was it a case of someone hearing what they wanted to hear or deliberately leaving information out?

In truth the course was a long and intensive day. The organiser suggested that myself and the other non-swimmer present did not venture into the pool for the practical session. I was not going to argue with that. In total 5/20 members of the course chose a watching brief.

Was it useful? In truth yes it was very useful. I learnt a lot and, although the legalities of me teaching the subject remain in question,I do feel more confident to stand poolside and deliver activities for beginners. In fact the end of the course involved teaching a lesson to a group of five children. This was done in pairs. My partner and I worked well together and soon recognised the different abilities in the group. One child was a definite non-swimmer, who did not want to get their face in the water and could not glide even with floats. I took the child for a one to one session away from the rest of the group and, in five minutes, had them gliding with both feet off the floor and face in the water. The child's regular class teacher said that the child had never achieved that before. It made my day and gave me another lift.

Some of you will remember my stories of last year's young, blonde student with boyfriend trouble who I assisted during her placement. Recently she had been contacting me for advice over her final placement at another school and also for advice on interviews. Tonight I received a text to say she had got a job from her first interview and sent thanks for my advice and support. It is nice to help people.

I now feel exhausted, but there is a mountain of work that MUST be completed before tomorrow. I need to start soon but can't face it. I also have a job application to complete before Friday.

As regards the union. The membership has been confirmed. However there was no phonecall tonight. I received an email today with some written advice. At present all they have told me to do is document everything, and gain witnesses if I can. The latter will be more difficult to do.

Right need to get motivated.

Edited by andyram
  • Like 3

Evening all. What a bust today was. Schlepped off to court like a good little boy. Waited until 4. Told to come back tomorrow for 10. Meh. An hour later received a text to say I wasn't needed tomorrow. With a bit of luck they won't put me on anything for the last 2 days either.

Sad news from the colonies. SWMBO's grandmother passed away earlier today. 89. She didn't want any sort of funeral or memorial. MiL was with her in hospital for the past 2 days.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

Night all.

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Another reasonably good journey home today, despite getting stuck in the roadworks near Crewe for about 20 minutes. Once again the trip only took me 2 1/2 hours. The seminar has given me lots of information and plenty to think about too. Talking to the other people there, I feel I have definitely made the right decision.

Sheila is still not so good, she has cancelled a dental appointment for Thursday morning, as well as her Thursday morning Zumba class too, so that gives some indication of how bad she's feeling.

Back to work tomorrow so an early night is called for I think, goodnight all.