The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

post-2818-0-82905300-1488959739.jpg

Another fun filled exciting day. Not. Half day of work then back to court for the afternoon. Joy unbound.

Not surprised by some of the small minded whingers on the Ally Pally thread. Like Tony I was part of the Thamessiders and just couldn't make the extra 40 minute schlep to the chicken shed in Frating. 4 of my old modules which I sold to Tony, who then passed them on to the club were in use as part of the layout. Good to see them still going. While Deb is away I'll mention modelling. Freemo modules are the direction that more and more North American modellers are heading in. Who needs the aggro of an exhibition when you can roll up with your module, bolt it to another, play trains for a couple of days with like minded people, and actually have fun. I've done 4 of these meets so far and had a lot more enjoyment than any exhibition I've ever displayed or assisted at. A couple of years ago Mr Y tried to encourage the same idea for UK modellers. Brit-mod, or "Dave" as it should have been called, started with a few small attempts but fizzled out fairly quickly. We tried the same in Canada about 20 years ago. Don't know if its the mind set but British modellers of UK prototypes just don't seem to get building to a modular standard. The "Dave" threads were bogged down in trying to reinvent the wheel rather than just adapting existing standards. Oh well, their loss.

Have a good one all.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from the village. It's a bit misty but the seaweed stranglers say it's going to get better and not rain so this morning will be spent moving baseboards. 6 of the 14 main crates have been moved so far so I'll get to work with the trolley to get most of the others home. 3 will go to the club room over the next week. I plan to spend a bit of time tidying my modelling room before bringing the stock home. I plan to get at least two plastic crates of unbuilt kits sorted out and taken to the container as I won't get them built before we move to France.

Beth's voice is gradually returning. I obviously should have spent more time on my knees on Sunday.

An expedition to Asda is promised for this afternoon so the day will be well occupied.

In the meantime regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The seaweed wranglers predicted a bit of mist this morning that appeared as a rather thick fog, at least being retired I don't have to contend with the morning cockwomble on the roads. My clock is still getting used to the hours change, I normally wake about 6 then have about an hours snooze, this morning I woke at 7 to late for a snooze so had to get up, I might will fit a snooze in this afternoon. Bye for now, be back later.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

And yes - the Taunton moduleteers still keep going although a new home is being sought for the two fiddle yards (and mine won't be there this year as I'm going down on Friday by train for another 'event' - an OFs' gathering - and staying over the weekend).

Our earlier fog has also departed leaving some sunshine but clouds are promised for later.  No G word mentioned but I have been reminded of the location of the vacuum cleaner along with a hint instruction to 'do' the ground floor today.  And at least I can now get the car out of the drive without engaging maximum lock on the steering as the pr*t over the road has removed his big shiny Range Rover with its semi-personalised number.  Maybe I should get a number ending in SM but that might finish up attracting the wrong kind of people who don't just go in for whip-rounds when someone is retiring.

Have a good day one and all.

• Like 1

....Maybe I should get a number ending in SM but that might finish up attracting the wrong kind of people who don't just go in for whip-rounds when someone is retiring.

....or you could splash out on a Citroen SM to go with the plate. Then you'd attract loads of cognoscenti.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning.  Croaky froat.

Getting out of bed is still an issue, clock adjustment doesn't mean body clock adjustment.  I seem to be nailed to the bed currently.

Polly, those photos of your walk are lovely, I wish I could get out to do the same at the moment!  Its a bit misty out today though after three glorious days on Fraggle Rock, but warm still.  Odd after the blizzard of Wednesday last week!

Debs had a job interview this morning for the Fire & Rescue Service admin, but as is usual over here the job is probably pencilled in for someone rather than the best candidate getting the job. Then they wonder why departments are always failing to succeed.....a Fraggle Rock Nepotism Is Us perennial issue.  Not having a Manx surname is a problem too, we should change our name to that of my Mother's maiden name, Christian being one of the most common names here.  Christian as in Fletcher - yes, related.

Youngest came home with some consent forms last night for a week-long residential course. Not the first time, but previously it's been 3 or 4 days.

And whilst I'd happily paid the deposit and balance a while back, this made me realise the house is going to be quite empty for a week.

:cry:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Youngest came home with some consent forms last night for a week-long residential course. Not the first time, but previously it's been 3 or 4 days.

And whilst I'd happily paid the deposit and balance a while back, this made me realise the house is going to be quite empty for a week.

:cry:

You'd better start preparing your bid to turn the spare room into a model railway room... :jester: 

• Like 3

You'd better start preparing your bid to turn the spare room into a model railway room... :jester: 

I have the whole garage and no layout plan!    :mail:  :dontknow:  :read:  :paint:

swmbo would kill for a sewing room!  :tender:  :triniti:

• Like 13

....as is usual over here the job is probably pencilled in for someone rather than the best candidate getting the job. Then they wonder why departments are always failing to succeed.....a Fraggle Rock Nepotism Is Us perennial issue.  Not having a Manx surname is a problem too, we should change our name to that of my Mother's maiden name, Christian being one of the most common names here.  Christian as in Fletcher - yes, related.

What was it that the old car sticker said? In.cest: keep it in the family.

Edited by Horsetan

Greetings all, nice and sunny here although a bit of haze.

Work continues apace, and now only a week til the central heating work starts on the house

I have found that my Dad has had to resort to going private to get his hip done. They had pushed back his op til June at the earliest. He had the pre op in November and has been severely limited in mobility since before then, probably not aided by the loss on strength and muscle tone as a result of the post-prostate cancer treatment. Hopefully he will be able to make a rapid recovery, though I can't see it being as rapid as Sherry's.

meme - is apparently derived from the Greek "mimeme" and means "imitated thing".

meme - is apparently derived from the Greek "mimeme" and means "imitated thing".

Wot 'e sed.

And, from the OED -

1976   R. Dawkins Selfish Gene xi. 206   The new soup is the soup of human culture. We need a name for the new replicator, a noun which conveys the idea of a unit of cultural transmission, or a unit of imitation. ‘Mimeme’ comes from a suitable Greek root, but I want a monosyllable that sounds a bit like ‘gene’. I hope my classicist friends will forgive me if I abbreviate mimeme to meme... It should be pronounced to rhyme with ‘cream’. Examples of memes are tunes, ideas, catch-phrases, clothes fashions, ways of making pots or of building arches.

• Like 2

And at least I can now get the car out of the drive without engaging maximum lock on the steering as the pr*t over the road has removed his big shiny Range Rover with its semi-personalised number.  Maybe I should get a number ending in SM but that might finish up attracting the wrong kind of people who don't just go in for whip-rounds when someone is retiring.

That would be a Scottish number plate, then! The second letter for plates issued here is always S.

I must get out more!

Mal

• Like 2

Morning.  Croaky froat.

Getting out of bed is still an issue, clock adjustment doesn't mean body clock adjustment.  I seem to be nailed to the bed currently.

Polly, those photos of your walk are lovely, I wish I could get out to do the same at the moment!  Its a bit misty out today though after three glorious days on Fraggle Rock, but warm still.  Odd after the blizzard of Wednesday last week!

Debs had a job interview this morning for the Fire & Rescue Service admin, but as is usual over here the job is probably pencilled in for someone rather than the best candidate getting the job. Then they wonder why departments are always failing to succeed.....a Fraggle Rock Nepotism Is Us perennial issue.  Not having a Manx surname is a problem too, we should change our name to that of my Mother's maiden name, Christian being one of the most common names here.  Christian as in Fletcher - yes, related.

When I read the first line I thought...hm, Fraggle Rock... Croaky Froat must be another Manx point of interest :)

On the thought of personalized license plates, I'd considered "YOU-PRAT", but was voted down by the Mrs! :O

Tuesday glares through the eastern sky, work continues per normal.

Yesterday evening discussion over a diverse cheese platter and some decent wine resulted in the conclusion that I haven't got time to work as there's too much to do, however the pay check still is a considerable draw. Choices are more money but less time to do everything, or more time but less money to do things. A quandary.

6 and sunny here, looks like being a delightful day with a high of 15.

Back to work for now, enjoy the day.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 3

Morning all.

Aditi is back home. She was very pleased to see her rhubarb and Robbie. Robbie was ecstatic to see her. The rhubarb didn't show any response.

Lovely day here, however it must be foggy on the Thames as we can hear foghorns. We will go down to the park soon, that is at sea level so perhaps we will find out.

Martin the boiler fitter is coming to do a quick survey and estimate this afternoon. Anyone recommended by our builder neighbour is highly recommended. What he recommends for the houses in our road ( and he has reboilered a few!) is actually what we want so that makes it easier.

Have a good day.

Tony

Real ER for me. Torri gave me my wake-up licking at 6:15.

I put central heating in our house in Renfrew. The boiler was a blooming great cast iron Poterton. Wonder if it's still going? It was only forty years ago.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I put central heating in our house in Renfrew. The boiler was a blooming great cast iron Poterton. Wonder if it's still going? It was only forty years ago.

My parents had GCH installed in 1968, I think. The Potterton boiler was a bit like a small chest freezer, rectangular and white. At the time they were indulging in a bit of whacky advertising in Sunday colour supplements etc. So there was a pic of a slim, wall mounted device, captioned at the top "How do Potterton make their boilers so slim?" And underneath "They don't. This is a Potterton radiator."

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Jamie, the 009 Soc. Sales stand folk would be more then happy to relieve you of those unwanted kits. In return they'll provide you with a lump sum, which is 100% more then what you get from the bin men :P  I understand they're looking for new stock, as recent sales have been good :yes:

Thanks for the suggestion. I probably didn't make myself clear. These are 7mm kits that need to be built for Green Ayre but won't get built before I emigrate so I'm putting them in the container to clear space in the modelling room and will then take them to France. Thanks anyway.

Jamie

• Like 11