The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Is she rich enough for it to be worthwhile any possible trouble?

Well, during the telephone interrogation in which she also quizzed me about whether I was English or had an immigrant background, she said that she had spent the greater part of her career as PA to various high-powered people, including - interestingly - the Hinduja brothers. Given the scandal back in about 2001 over whether or not one or more of them had used their very close links to various Government ministers of the day to obtain British citizenship, I'm not sure that being a PA to them was exactly a plus point.

The bit that brought a whiff of danger was when she also said that she had worked in Libya for a number of years during the Gaddafi era. Sounds like she liked working close to controversy. I wonder if her Will is going to be just as controversial?

• Like 3

Yes, I think there were questions asked about where he derived his statistics from, given his generally pro-drugs stance.

His stats on this were good - number of people who ride and number of deaths; numbers of people taking ecstasy and those who died as a result. The numbers of deaths from ecstasy are surprisingly small given that it's been classified as an A Class drug, along with heroin and cocaine.

I attended one of his lectures in 2012 and it was very good - by then he was the ex-chair of the drugs committee. He looked at the evidence, which is often/usually distorted by some of the red-tops. He said that the drugs we should all worry about taking recreationally were heroin and cocaine (plus derivatives). He was not overly concerned by ecstasy today or the marijuana available in the 60s and 70s, but was concerned about the much stronger weed available now, and the effects on, and damage to, some people's brains.

He was concerned about alcohol, however, because of its relative cheapness and easy availability.

Public information announcement over for today; I really must get out more...

Mal

Edited by Purley Oaks
  • Like 11

When we were looking for a house, the three statements which killed any further interest in the property were:

Thatched roof

Grade II listed

Architect designed.

Architect designed university buildings leave quite a lot to be desired as well. Glass fronted - building site next door for the next decade (HS2) and no means of cleaning the windows,

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I fill in my tax return on-line which has one advantage it will work out how much you owe on the figures entered before you send it off. The benefit of this is should you have made a mistake you have a chance to check before sending it off if the tax bill looks too high. It may well be worth checking if it looks too low you may have missed something important.

If you retire early your pension becomes the principal income and the pension provider will use your tax code to work out your allowances before deducting tax. When you reach state pension age the tax people adjust your tax code reducing the allowance by the value of the pension. So you get your state pension but your existing pension will go down a bit. If you are still working your tax bill on your wages will grow to take into account the state pension. Although the state pension is well below the personal allowance it still counts towards your income when assessing your tax.

If you are lucky enough to have a large pension of around £45K your state pension may push you into the 40% band.

Don 

• RMweb Gold

His lectures here certainly caused an uproar! IoM being especially hard on drug crime.

When I worked as an advisory teacher in a London Borough it was decided we should all go to a drug awareness course. I went on one with my colleague, we may have been the only secondary people there most were primary teachers. Anyway there was a quiz clearly designed to demonstrate ignorance. At the end the presenter asked for marks and seemed pleased with the low scores. He said did anyone get more than half right. My colleague and I raised our hands. The presenter said only professionals or those deeply into the drug scene ever got more than 75%. Ivor and I had got them all right. Ivor also worked for the Borough Youth Service so was expected to know about such things. When he asked how I knew so much I just said I read the Daily Telegraph. A voice from the back said "they have articles about licking toads?"

Edited by Tony_S

Evening all,

My first physiotherapy on my knee this morning. I am already doing three exercises, and these were approved, and two more were added.  These are working as much on the hip as the knee, which seems eminently sensible.

Then I dug up nettles in the wilderness, just for the exercise.

Now off to a church meeting and will be busy tomorrow, so back in contact Thursday.

Bill

• Like 12

I don't have the full British context of the drug-related conversation to comment on that.

Having said that, I can share that I live in a state where legal, recreational marijuana is in full swing.

It is complicated. Without Federal decriminalization, banking is tricky for State-legal cannabis businesses. Colorado has reported an uptick in marijuana-related driving under the influence of intoxicants, and here there is now recognition of the need to restrict advertising (on billboards) the same way that tobacco advertising is restricted - we missed that one in the legislation. I can report that the state has not descended into the last days of Caligula, and the racially non-proportional arrest and incarceration for possession of small amounts of cannabis is (for now) a thing of the past.

Meanwhile the white collar opioid abuse epidemic rages - to the point where advertising for opioid-induced constipation medication floods the airwaves.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2

Evening all, or by the substance of recent posts that should be...."Evenin' all"!

Overcast and cool here most of today. 

Took delivery of a new mattress yesterday which arrived within 30 seconds of its delivery slot.

The new mattress is a foam+individually pocket sprung construction.

Individual pockets for springs means that when swmbo gets out of bed to make me a cuppa in the morning then I don't get disturbed by a ripple effect. ;)  

Just been reading up about some info that Mike (SM) posted about 4 years ago which answered a question nicely for me. Thanks, Mike! 

Today's job application went in, although the organisation's HR department mention it could be up to 4 weeks till they offer feedback. I'm not entirely sure that folks hang around for a month these days. I hope not to! :)

I note there's a potentially interesting program on later this evening charting the story of some people taking a 2nd chance in Tuscany.  If nothing else the music that accompanies the trailer is sublime, imho. Think the chap may need the next size up underwear though. lol

In other news I note that Lloyds Register insurance rates have returned to pre-GB holiday levels. :)

• Like 18

This one had currency in the 1980s (I don't believe it was expensive.) ;)

Those days were the zenith of bumper stickers - "Visualize whirled peas" anyone?

Indeed, not only does she remember, having had one on her vehicle when I first met her, but the Mrs, continues to use the phrase... :jester:

"...bake sale for a bomber..." was very popular around these parts also.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Architect designed university buildings leave quite a lot to be desired as well. Glass fronted - building site next door for the next decade (HS2) and no means of cleaning the windows,

You could contact these guys , they seem to manage okay .               :O

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

The dentistry visit went quite well this morning. He thinks he has fixed it, if not then the next thing is root canal work. Not bothered as I've had it before and survived. He also spotted a problem on the other side of my mouth so I have to go back on Friday.

I found Tramadol coupled with Paracetamol  OK after my knee replacement a few years ago. I had no ill effects whatsoever although I don't think the medics would have approved of me making a sort of cocktail with both of those with cognac. Worked for me though. Hic.    :whistle:  :imsohappy: :yes:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, during the telephone interrogation in which she also quizzed me about whether I was English or had an immigrant background, she said that she had spent the greater part of her career as PA to various high-powered people, including - interestingly - the Hinduja brothers. Given the scandal back in about 2001 over whether or not one or more of them had used their very close links to various Government ministers of the day to obtain British citizenship, I'm not sure that being a PA to them was exactly a plus point.

The bit that brought a whiff of danger was when she also said that she had worked in Libya for a number of years during the Gaddafi era. Sounds like she liked working close to controversy. I wonder if her Will is going to be just as controversial?

Well do you fancy living dangerously perhaps the horses are safer.

Don

Matthew treated by me to another chat while he caught the bus home from Utrecht. He has spent the day preparing an application to study in Maynooth....

I've stayed in Maynooth. Very convenient for visiting Castletown House (I used to ride round the estate) and the Connolly Obelisk Folly (which really gave me the creeps as daylight gave way to night; one of the Guinness family is now buried there), plus Celbridge and Leixlip nearby. Occasionally the RPSI steam specials start or end their tours at Maynooth Station. Unlike inner Dublin, you can actually find a place to park the car.

Maynooth was also a major training centre for those seeking to enter the Catholic priesthood - very big college there - in the days when Church and State were in each other's pockets.

• RMweb Gold

Whilst some people may be able to use some drugs in a recreational manner for others it can be a step to dark days this can be true for alcohol as much as any other. So for the authorities is is a problem. Even those who feel taking certain drugs is harmless for outside you can see they often become slightly obsessed with obtaining and taking the drug it can be a substitute for life.

On the other hand the Human race has been taking substances to cause altered mind states as far back as we can tell. So I do not think we are going to stop people wanting something. Perhaps life in all it's different ways is so stressful something to change our mental state is irresistible. 

At one time I was staying in digs in Bristol the lady took some professional people and also one or two recovering addicts (her ex husband was an alcoholic so she had some experience of coping). The addicts were all on a knife edge it didn't take much for them to relapse at which point they were asked to leave. One of them who came was someone I knew well from years ago. He had got sucked in to taking Heroin. A rather sad waste of his life so far.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Indeed. One of them is wedding cake, leading to a permanently altered state of mind.....

We got married by licence, so everything was done quickly. We had a big Black Forest Gateau for a wedding cake.

• Like 16