The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

New dog settling into son's place. Black Springer, about 18 months. Bit of territorial growling, but soon over. Must be traumatic for him.

Sounds like lots of affectionate hugs and attention to make him feel welcome!

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Quite a good day at work today, not only did I complete my work in Clitheroe and Altham, I also managed to do the job I'd got to do in Warrington too! The down side is that I've now got no work left, so I'll be spend the day in the orifice tomorrow. Perhaps a quiet word with my manager might get some more work passed my way.

I also managed to get home early, around mid afternoon. This was swiftly followed by an eye lid inspection and I'm pleased to say that both eyes passed with flying colours.

Ian. Hope your back improves soon and the Tramadol doesn't give you nightmares.

Neil. Glad the foot is repairing well, if quicker than first thought. Just don't try to speed things up!

Goodnight all

• Like 19

Pleasantly surprised to find that you can wash a filthy PolyPad (a padded saddlecloth) in the washing machine at 40 degrees. Gets rid of all the stray horsehair too. Takes about three hours including pre-wash plus double the amount of washing detergent, though.

Don't think I'll bother ironing it.

Wonder if I can stick some girths (racing ones, therefore not leather) in the machine as well......?

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Night to most.

Baz

Thanks from a beautifully warm sunny Autumnal morning.

Best wishes to Ian, Neil, Andyram and others with specific need of good wishes.  

Breakfast has occurred.  Now where's me paint-brush? ;)

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

I bought some Linda McCartney sausages once..................

and was most disappointed to find they contained no trace of LM, pig, mutton, beef, donkey, or any other form of meat..

I shall have to consult Capt Kernow on this matter as he is the  man when it comes to sausage.

Were they bought from Mr. C. M. O. T. Dibbler?

• RMweb Premium

I spent the afternoon on the taxes, as SWMBO wanted the figures for her accounts. Total came to less than last year; not sure why. I just put the numbers into the computer.

Tried to get a bit of information from the Revenoo Agency. Phone system menu took me around and finally said to call another number beep beep beep beep beep beep... They have no website information on how to send a cheque.

Dayle said that cat was munching on one her large Woodland Scenics foam trees. Expect interesting pile on floor later.

• Like 6

Morning All,

It is a semi-cloudy morning in this part of the world - but reasonably mild.

It looks like it is going to be another busy day in the office.

Nice to see Donk back.  I see he is wondering why you need to put so many hazard signs on a memorial - given that it is all just common sense.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Pleasantly surprised to find that you can wash a filthy PolyPad (a padded saddlecloth) in the washing machine at 40 degrees. Gets rid of all the stray horsehair too. Takes about three hours including pre-wash plus double the amount of washing detergent, though.

Don't think I'll bother ironing it.

Wonder if I can stick some girths (racing ones, therefore not leather) in the machine as well......?

But all that horsehair has to end up somewhere! ISTR washeterias with a blanket (sorry!) ban on horse-rugs for that reason.

Morning all

A better night than of late, thanks to both a lighter day outdoors and the meds, no doubt. Sherry has just found an Internet link showing Tramadol as killing more people than heroin, which prima facie is a bit worrying. But it then reveals this is black-market drug abuse. That is no different from the Co-proxamol ban that followed the high-profile death of that poor girl Leah Betts, who had managed to take 10 doses at once to get a high. Sherry confirms I am at my argumentative best today, so no ill effects here so far!

But my back is allowing the grass to grow a bit - I daren't use the lawn-tractor as emptying the grass-box is very hard work. It might rain today anyway, so, as they say in Spain, hacienda that!

34032 Camelford made its first laps of the layout yesterday. A Hornby spam-can with the decoder socket in the tender at last. Looks rather good with a blood-and-custard set behind.

I hope your week is looking good.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning Awl,

an interesting drive home yesterday afternoon, As I approached one junction I noticed a long tailback forming, so I took an immediate left and drove parallel to the main road for abut a mile and then turned right to get to the main road. just too late, just as I got to the main road  a small van with orange flashing lights went past, then fifty yards later a very big van with orange flashing lights. Then an Artic with lots of wheels and a very big yacht, one of these I think, http://www.oysteryachts.com/ went last many more flashing lights, after about 10 cars there was a gap and with some heavy acceleration I joined the queue.

The traffic was moving at a not too bad 40mph and on the straights cars coming the other way were passing half underneath the yacht. The problem was when there were overhanging trees, and the artic had to move out to the middle or past the middle of the road, slowing while approaching cars had to find somewhere to go.. then we found a 7.5ton box body lorry.... that slowed us while he found a driveway to move into. as we went further the cars in front of me were slowly disappearing of into other roads as normal. As you approach the coast I've said before it's like the Truman show film. you gradually lose all the traffic as it finds  home. eventually I was second behind the YACHT in a cloud of dust as the artic was running down the middle lifting all the accumulated Carp from the middle of the road.  soon after it was my turn to leave the main road as it went on with a very long queue of traffic behind it...

After a small amount of digging with a broken spade once home, it was then back to the normal routine.

4.5 hours f solid sleep was had helped by Ibruprofen and a small glass of port., then dozing for an hour on the sofa.

a bit chilly this morning and dawn is now arriving again, on my way into work a pleasant trip in...

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 3

Two major accomplishments today:

1) For about the first time in twenty years we managed to put two cars (simultaneously, and at the same time) into our two-car garage.

2) We got my tax return stuff back from our tax accountant. When I printed it all out it only came to ninety pages.

This isn't a political statement, but based on 2), it's pretty obvious that something is terribly wrong. Lorna and I are both retired. We have state pensions from the US and the UK, and we have some income from invested capital which is all handled through a financial adviser. It's all "run of the mill" stuff, but we still have to shell out $500 every year to a tax accountant to keep us on the right side of the tax laws. He already detected something that I would never have noticed this year that would have got us into a fight with the IRS, and he's saved my backside in the past when the IRS had no clue about what they were doing.

I don't have any easy answers, but I'm not sure how long a system like this can survive.

Good morning one and all

After almost an hour in the garden yesterday afternoon my green refuse bin is pretty full, though I expect the contents will settle and allow more to be added.  Boy is there a lot more to add.  The south facing bed looks quite bare now save for those strawberry plants which survived the cull of the triffids surrounding them.  This is before I wield the mower on the dandelion patch with occasional tufts of grass that some would call a lawn.  At least the tulips have bloomed.  I do not recall seeing them last year.  Many nettles, dock leaves and straggly weeds remain to be culled.  Who knows, a further attempt might be made later today.

Today will see the fodder run this morning and a rail-related talk tonight.  Between those highlights a pile of ironing awaits attention.  Some enthusiasm would help.  he rest of the week looks to be quiet.  Hark, I hear the sound of tempting providence.

Warm thoughts to all, especially Ian and his back and all others in distress.

Chris

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

It's a dull start to the day, when I logged into the work scheduling system a few minutes ago I had had no more jobs assigned to me, so therefore it's a trip to the orifice.

Back later.

• RMweb Gold

Two major accomplishments today:

1) For about the first time in twenty years we managed to put two cars (simultaneously, and at the same time) into our two-car garage.

2) We got my tax return stuff back from our tax accountant. When I printed it all out it only came to ninety pages.

This isn't a political statement, but based on 2), it's pretty obvious that something is terribly wrong. Lorna and I are both retired. We have state pensions from the US and the UK, and we have some income from invested capital which is all handled through a financial adviser. It's all "run of the mill" stuff, but we still have to shell out $500 every year to a tax accountant to keep us on the right side of the tax laws. He already detected something that I would never have noticed this year that would have got us into a fight with the IRS, and he's saved my backside in the past when the IRS had no clue about what they were doing.

I don't have any easy answers, but I'm not sure how long a system like this can survive.

I have no experience of the IRS but it does sound that your financial affairs must be somewhat complicated to warrant 90 pages. Perhaps your accountant is making the maximum of the various allowances hence the extra complications.

I never found the need to employ an accountant even when working self employed or letting property. Admittedly it was pretty small scale. My impression was the bulk of the work is collating all the figures something you would have to do to give them to the accountant.  Perhaps it was because I like to be in control.

Don

• Like 12

I have no experience of the IRS but it does sound that your financial affairs must be somewhat complicated to warrant 90 pages. Perhaps your accountant is making the maximum of the various allowances hence the extra complications.

I never found the need to employ an accountant even when working self employed or letting property. Admittedly it was pretty small scale. My impression was the bulk of the work is collating all the figures something you would have to do to give them to the accountant.  Perhaps it was because I like to be in control.

Don

Nope. They are not very complicated, and you would have been required to produce all ninety pages too.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a bright and sunny village in the southern uplands of Leeds.    Ian (OD) glad that you are recovering, however what is worrying is that you have not mentioned the donkey...... has it met it's end?

Neil, NHN, glad that the screws are out of your foot but it didn't sound too nice.  I hope that things continue to heal.

Yesterday I visited our club chairman on my way into the club for the evening talk.    He was in good spirits but tired.  he's been in a week now and yesterday had had a 2nd stent fitted to correct some previously undetected damage from an earlier cardiac event that he didn't know about.  It had been tricky and the procedure had taken 3 hours.   Anyway he does seem to be doing well and is hoping to be home later this week.   A good talk at the club then followed.   

the boss is still abed so morning orders haven't yet been posted.  However I believe that she is helping her dad and step mum most of the day so I may have a free hand.  perhaps some railway related wiring will be completed.

It's good to see that GDB seems to be back among us.

Regards to all.

Jamie

PS the alarm has just gone off I will await the O group.

• Like 2