The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

That's interesting Baz, our Club (Gresley and Wychnor Model Railway Group) has just had a vote, and FORCED THROUGH by the Chairman we are now going Ltd Co, instead of CS that most seemed to want.

Well, I suppose that if you don't like it, you can always walk away. (I did and never looked back not missed it)

Enough members do that and you'll have enough for a club that can be CS.

• RMweb Gold

NG - Yes this school seems to want detailed planning for each lesson to be submitted instead of the general overview. 

As I mentioned, I succumbed to another sickness bug yesterday and so was off work and (due to the 24 hour clearance of such infections) I am off again today. Throughout yesterday I received 4 emails from one colleague - many complaining about some of the planning I had done. Only one email contained a fair complaint IMHO. Then I received another email from another colleague at 10.30pm last night with planning guidance and a demand to have next week's planning completed by the end of Thursday - a day earlier than the usual deadline. The result of this - another sleepless night, a panic attack in the middle of the night, and a blinding headache this morning. This was the final straw. I have spoken to my doctor this morning and I am going to see him in the morning. I have also taken some guidance from the Union. 

Anyway - moving away from my personal issues. My best wishes to iD - congrats on the weight loss and I hope that Lucy recovers from her ordeal. What a horrible thing to experience. My best wishes to everyone else on here too.

Andy

Andy can I suggest you make a daily log of what happens at work or any home intervention(phone calls) if it's daily you need to be seeing an employment lawyer what I have been reading over the past few week you have a good case I suggest 

you don't answer the phone whilst you are off sick and try and stand up to these people after all it's only a job and the Union Rep should be speaking to the Head not giving you guidance if things are this bad the rep should be telling

him and the other staff to back off it won't go away if you don't stand up to these so called work colleagues they might see you as a walk over if you don't do anything about it.

If you think I've got any of this wrong tell me so and I will wipe the post.

Chin up Buddy and come out of your courner fighting. Bob

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening, from an island still far from a certain store.  Yesterday's deluge passed, and today was dry but felt a lot colder than the 10c showing on the car.

Rather tired myself after three miserable nights sleep in a row, no four, last night for no apparent reason just kept waking and turning over all the time.  Miserable night.

Not a lot else to report other than to wish all ER's who are unwell, stressed or just pi$$ed off, improved health and a better time to come.

• Like 3

Andy can I suggest you make a daily log of what happens at work or any home intervention(phone calls) if it's daily you need to be seeing an employment lawyer what I have been reading over the past few week you have a good case I suggest 

you don't answer the phone whilst you are off sick and try and stand up to these people after all it's only a job and the Union Rep should be speaking to the Head not giving you guidance if things are this bad the rep should be telling

him and the other staff to back off it won't go away if you don't stand up to these so called work colleagues they might see you as a walk over if you don't do anything about it.

If you think I've got any of this wrong tell me so and I will wipe the post.

Chin up Buddy and come out of your courner fighting. Bob

Thanks for the advice. I had not thought about making a log of these events. As regards the union advice - it came via the helpline today rather than a school based rep. The advice was mainly to do with entitlement in case the doctor decided to sign me off. I doubt that will happen, but I just want to be well informed.

There have been plenty of phone calls today with accountants about the business option. The business is definitely financially viable and has lots of potential. Unfortunately the only way I could proceed would be to sell our property and move into the flat above the business.  I am not sure Sarah is prepared to up sticks and move so I may have to look at other options.

Thanks for the advice. I had not thought about making a log of these events. As regards the union advice - it came via the helpline today rather than a school based rep. The advice was mainly to do with entitlement in case the doctor decided to sign me off. I doubt that will happen, but I just want to be well informed.

There have been plenty of phone calls today with accountants about the business option. The business is definitely financially viable and has lots of potential. Unfortunately the only way I could proceed would be to sell our property and move into the flat above the business.  I am not sure Sarah is prepared to up sticks and move so I may have to look at other options.

When I was being hounded, I not only kept a record of EVERYTHING relevant (a good database tool like OpenBase can be useful!) but also requested to see my personnel file; they did not allow me photocopies so I wrote it out longhand (the Tribunal would have requested the original!)

But, with all due respect, haven't we've been here before, IIRC. Sounds like the business option is the way to go regardless. Get your Union to look at Constructive Dismissal and take their advice!

True love might also be involved here!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 12

That's interesting Baz, our Club (Gresley and Wychnor Model Railway Group) has just had a vote, and FORCED THROUGH by the Chairman we are now going Ltd Co, instead of CS that most seemed to want.

I might be missing something, but our club (Derwent Railway Society) has charitable status, and it has huge advantages financially. We always joke that our best member is “Lizzie” when our Gift Aid payment comes back from HMRC!

CT scan went ok this morning, now to wait for the results. The rest of the day though was pretty carp, as we went shopping after the scan and I came home with a banging headache which refused to go away. I had 90 minutes mostly sleeping at lunchtime, then settled of the sofa at about 2pm, and slept off and on up to past 5pm. The headache still hadn’t gone, but it has finally eased during the evening. With the chemo, I am not supposed to take ibuprofen, just paracetamol, but today I just had to take some ibuprofen to ease the head. Having slept a good part of the day, I will hopefully still sleep Ok tonight.

Evening all,

I ended up trying to use the Canal Line for the first time - that's the new link from St Pancras Thameslink platforms to the GN main line between the tunnels. No luck, there was nothing southbound out of Finsbury Park. But I did use the link from Blackfriars to Metropolitan Junction for the first time in a couple of years. Whilst at Blackfriars, I noticed that Leipsic (sic) was shown on the wall; on enquiry, I was informed that I'd missed the train by some 95 years. Other5twise I could have paid Dom a visit.

Best wishes to all.

Bill

• Like 17

I might be missing something, but our club (Derwent Railway Society) has charitable status, and it has huge advantages financially. We always joke that our best member is “Lizzie” when our Gift Aid payment comes back from HMRC!

CT scan went ok this morning, now to wait for the results. The rest of the day though was pretty carp, as we went shopping after the scan and I came home with a banging headache which refused to go away. I had 90 minutes mostly sleeping at lunchtime, then settled of the sofa at about 2pm, and slept off and on up to past 5pm. The headache still hadn’t gone, but it has finally eased during the evening. With the chemo, I am not supposed to take ibuprofen, just paracetamol, but today I just had to take some ibuprofen to ease the head. Having slept a good part of the day, I will hopefully still sleep Ok tonight.

The Swiss Railway Society has recently upgraded to 'The Swiss Railway Society Company Limited by Guarantee' for the prime reason of limiting public liability at exhibitions etc. Most other clubs and societies are doing the same. Whilst Charitable Status is beneficial financially, does it limit you from public liabilities?

Edited by JohnDMJ

It soon became apparent that our son had no intention of taking any sort of medication and that we were just wasting our time. He expressed a desire to be near his children in Tacoma so we bunged him some cash and put him on a Greyhound bus. He might actually have better access to social services there. Maybe something good will come of it but we're not holding our breath.

On a cheerier note here's a pic of the new steed (although being a Ram it's really more of a sheep than an 'orse.)

post-25691-0-71101400-1523481912_thumb.jpg

This one isn't dodgy because Chrysler (Fiat) has dropped the Dodge moniker for their trucks. Now they are all just branded Ram. This one is rather plain - hardly any chrome at all and no fancy wheels, but under the hood (bonnet) there is a little masterpiece of engineering - a turbo-charged, DOHC quad-valve 3 liter V-6 diesel. It's not quite as quick off the mark as my old truck which had a 5.7 L V-8 petrol engine and a much smaller cab, but this little baby manages 27 MPG (US gallon) or 34 MPG (Imperial gallon) on the highway which is a huge improvement.

I'm glad to be able to report it DOES NOT HAVE a touch-screen display :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

The swimming pool was very busy this morning, lots of mums and kids, so it made swimming a little difficult at first. However, by about 10:15 it started to empty and things got back to normal. Just before I got out I did a sprint length and did the 25m in 17 seconds. Then it was home for dinner and a rest before the arrival of the kids. As usual they were very excited and boisterous, but it’s always nice to see them.

Tonight’s curry went down very well, but then I’d have been very surprised if it didn’t. Once we’d had the nod that Vickie was home, they all jumped in the car and I’d taken them back, it was time for a beer. Tonight’s choice was a bottle of Robinson’s ‘Dizzy Blonde’, a rather nice local (made in Stockport) beer which goes down really well.

Goodnight all.

• Like 18

When I was being hounded, I not only kept a record of EVERYTHING relevant (a good database tool like OpenBase can be useful!) but also requested to see my personnel file; they did not allow me photocopies so I wrote it out longhand (the Tribunal would have requested the original!)

But, with all due respect, haven't we've been here before, IIRC. Sounds like the business option is the way to go regardless. Get your Union to look at Constructive Dismissal and take their advice!

True love might also be involved here!

Thanks for the advice and keeping a record of everything is definitely sound advice. I will say that, in this case, the issues are different to last year. Then I was definitely being deliberately forced out. This year, I don’t think that is the case. I feel that both individuals like to have things their own way. Neither have families so have more time on their hands to send out emails constantly. They also don’t have to manage their work around family commitments.

I am sure, how I am feeling at present is partly due to the effects of last year and having never recovered from that experience. This has left me extremely run down and without the resilience to brush off any knock backs. Ultimately it has built up to trigger the stress and anxiety issues which have laid dormant since about 2004. I do admit to feeling a bit lost at present, but I do have a firm belief that things will improve one day.

As regards the business opportunity, renting out the flat above the business is an idea. Unfortunately, the current owner is selling the business, but not the property. He owns that and will rent it out to the new owner. Therefore the flat would have to be sub let if I took that option. In addition I may need the funds from the house sale in order to buy the business. If it works, we could live above he business and then but our own property again in the future. It would be a huge risk though! I am tempted, but of Sarah is not keen then it won’t happen.

Anyway - sorry for boring people with my ongoing issues. There are others with more important issues. My good wishes to Simon and I hope the CT scan results are positive. Continued thoughts for Tony and Aditi and also Debs.

Best wishes

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Is it difficult to find a 4-door RAM without all the bells and whistles? I need one......

Best, Pete.

That isn't a 4 door. It's more like 3

(2 full doors and 2 half doors...., coat,hat.etc....)

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Unfortunately, the current owner is selling the business, but not the property. He owns that and will rent it out to the new owner. Therefore the flat would have to be sub let if I took that option. In addition I may need the funds from the house sale in order to buy the business. If it works, we could live above he business and then but our own property again in the future. It would be a huge risk though! I am tempted, but of Sarah is not keen then it won’t happen.

It does seem like it may be a step too far to sell your house to buy the business but then have to rent the flat above (and presumably also rent the space for the business).

I'm not faulting the current owner for wanting income on property he owns, particularly as a retirement strategy for him, but for you he's getting income on both sides of the transaction - the sale of the business and future rents. This reduces your margins substantially. No doubt the accountants you've engaged will have done these sums for you.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

It does seem like it may be a step too far to sell your house to buy the business but then have to rent the flat above (and presumably also rent the space for the business).

I'm not faulting the current owner for wanting income on property he owns, particularly as a retirement strategy for him, but for you he's getting income on both sides of the transaction - the sale of the business and future rents. This reduces your margins substantially. No doubt the accountants you've engaged will have done these sums for you.

The rent will be for the whole premises. The figure has been passed to the accountant. But it would mean paying a monthl rent + repayments on whatever loan we would have to take out.

That isn't a 4 door. It's more like 3

(2 full doors and 2 half doors...., coat,hat.etc....)

Cheers,

Mick

That's what they call a "quad cab". The back seats are more suitable for dogs and miniature people. The version with full size doors and seats is called a "crew cab", but unless you get a crew cab with a really short and not much use cargo bed, it's so bloomin' long it's no fun to park at all.

when I was a teenager, I wanted one of those Rising Sun t-shirts that were popular in the early 80s (think Banshees). My Mum said I could get one as long as I found out what the characters said first. I think she thought that would put me off, but the shopkeeper told me that they meant "made in Hong Kong" so that was good enough for me (although she was dubious).

A year or two later, in Leeds, I asked one of my friends who was on the Chinese course. He told me that it did indeed translate as Fragrant Harbour (Hong Kong)

It works the other way too.

I remember a few years ago when Australia was the go to place for Japanese tourists, seeing a sweet young Japanese couple walking hand in hand down George St Sydney.

They had identical T-shirts on which was printed

"Smoke more 5h1t,

Drink more P!55

Aussie yobbo club, Cairns"

The bloke who sold it to them probably told them it said "We've been to  Queensland" or similar.

... Looking outside I noticed a very beaten up drone lying in my front yard. It must have whacked the house or the deck but I can't see any damage yet. It crashed quite close to my new truck. I retrieved the bits and stuck it in the garage. ...

One of three plot lines for a recent "The Big Bang Theory" episode (s11e19 "The Tenant Dissassociation": Howard and Raj find a broken drone in Howard's back yard - examining the video card indicates it was owned by a pretty girl.

So, "Life imitating 'art'".

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3