The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I knew someone about the same age in ’45’  (I can’t remember his name - getting old is cruel). He did the same and wanted a Chinese “character” one. Turned out it said “SOUP!” Could’ve been worse I suppose....

The possibilities are endless.

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

Better late than never eh?  It's been a busy day and I wasn't able to head straight home from the House of Fun.  Indeed lunch was grabbed hastily in the unfamiliar (for me) surroundings of Bluewater which seemed to be the go-to place for every screaming under-5 in north Kent and the London fringe.  It's not a place I would choose to return to and was only there today to inspect a change to the route 96 bus which now uses part of the Fastrack busway.  The area is vastly changed from when I first encountered it aboard cement-dust clad green Routemasters on the 480 plying between Gravesend and Dartford.  The 480 and their Northfleet garage home still exist but the RMLs and the cement dust are gone.

In my opinion one of the biggest hindrances to motoring through the London area is the widespread adoption of 20mph speed limits.  There are one-way systems, traffic lights and pinch points a-plenty but given the widely-acknowledged safety margin of a 30mph limit which both permits reasonable traffic flow and is a speed at which impact with a human is often survivable having the limit reduced to a time-consuming 20mph is largely futile.  It results in more fuel consumption, more air pollution, longer journey times, greater frustration and generally lower standards of driving in consequence.  It also makes bus trips eternally slow and unattractive which is resulting in a sharp decline in bus use and a marked return to private motoring; quite the opposite of what might have been intended.  

Kingston Bridge is a problem.  Having another alongside will only make the problem worse.  Many of us who drive in that area use Hampton Court instead.  On a recent trip down the A24 the latter proved around 15 minutes faster despite having several miles of 20mph limit through Hampton and being several miles longer than the Kingston option.  The ridiculous way Kingston has had its one-way system reversed over the years and which now forces almost all vehicles to perform a complete lap of the town centre to get anywhere only adds to the misery.  And it is still being dug up, fiddled with, "enhanced" and all the inconvenience that entails. 

Rant over.  It's time to hit the pillows.  Tomorrow should bring a plumber and if it does not it will bring a most irate email to the maintenance officer.  It will also bring a cat to the vet - always an interesting exercise in entrapment, logistics and first aid - for his first experience of British annual boosters and check-ups.

Night all.

At the dawning of another day, greetings

How, I wonder, does the needle of a hypodermic become blocked when all that has been put through it is 12% solution?  Fear not, gentle reader, I refer to phosphoric acid used as flux.  No doubt someone is calling to mind Sherlock Holmes and the Seven Per Cent Solution as we speak.  The notion thst phosphoric acid is the principal ingredient of cola still makes me shudder.  Fortunately I found some more needles in the bottom of the toolbox so the m*d*ll*ng can resume.  On the way to visit Poorly Pal I called at Homebase and bought a dozen more sacrificial strawberry plants.  What a good idea, I thought, for them to spend the day on PP's lawn so they they may benefit from the rain.  Er - what rain?  After days and days of it there wasn't a drop!  They can go out into my garden once I have done the fodder run and become acclimatised before the new bed is raked, levelled and fertilised.  Does this sound like I know something about gardening?  Aha!  Do not be deceived.

Later today I am off to London for the album launch I mentioned a few days ago.  If I can acquire the three CDs that I seek this will give me plenty to appreciate on the road to and from Wakefield at the weekend.  What a keen sense of anticipation, you cry.  Yes, I'm really looking forward to suffering an all-shacks train on the way home.

Warm thoughts and best wishes to Tony and Aditi, Simon, Mal, Debs, Robert, more than one Andy and the many others who either suffer in silence or whose names will not come to mind at the moment.

Chris

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Mooring awl Inner temple Here.

A good amount of sleep even if broken by  lots of wake up and turn overs.

IIRC one of my Uncles worked at Kai Tak Air traffic control (RAF)

Going home last night was slightly misty, but not enough for lights, as I went over the bridge between the effin clown towns the temperature dropped, an an Effin clown fur lined hood up pushed her pram out in front of our line of cars, leading  to heavy Breaking by the first car, and me stopping at the peak of the bridge.

I got home to find SWMBO not happy still coughing... she said it had been foggy most of the day, an hour after i got home the fog closed in again and I could see the fog between the house and the landrover 30ft away. As it was this morning, it was heavy enough to be dripping off the trees and running down the road..

I had a gold necklace made in Arabic with my wife's name spelt out. I very carefully worked it out myself, and carefully checked it at collection!!!

My hairiest landing was on Benbecula, we did two aborted approaches where the pilot couldn't see the runway, and on the third he saw a gap and plonked it down heavily, threw the anchors on, reversed the props and we came to a stand still with the front wheels on the grass, we then reversed off, turned round and the Viscount was taxied back to the terminal at the other end of the airfield.

Plans for today, finish off the Major system cross check spreadsheets, finish off the Irish system, 4 resistors to measure, then see what else is due, the boss is off for the rest of the week for the family funeral..

Time to... get to work...

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Yet another damp start but apparently "it will be a largely dry day with some sunny spells breaking through and a light north easterly wind." Hmm, we'll see, I won't hold my breath.

The first of at least two shopping trips this week is planned for today. We're having "a bit of a do" on Sunday for Steve's birthday so The Boss is starting preparations already. I of course will just do as I'm asked told. Her organisational skills for functions like this are second to none and the stuff of legend.  :yes:

If the weather forecast is right I may get the ladders out later and clean the conservatory roof. Possibly.  It has been suggested we pay someone to do it but I dread to think what they'd charge for something I can do relatively easily in 2 or 3 hours so I vetoed that suggestion. I hope I don't regret it. 

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good morning all,

Yet another damp start but apparently "it will be a largely dry day with some sunny spells breaking through and a light north easterly wind." Hmm, we'll see, I won't hold my breath.

The first of at least two shopping trips this week is planned for today. We're having "a bit of a do" on Sunday for Steve's birthday so The Boss is starting preparations already. I of course will just do as I'm asked told. Her organisational skills for functions like this are second to none and the stuff of legend.  :yes:

If the weather forecast is right I may get the ladders out later and clean the conservatory roof. Possibly.  It has been suggested we pay someone to do it but I dread to think what they'd charge for something I can do relatively easily in 2 or 3 hours so I vetoed that suggestion. I hope I don't regret it. 

Have a good one,

Bob.

Have you got paramedics on standby for the conjunction of GDB with ladders height and reaching. 

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Good morning all,

Have a good one,

Bob.

OK who's opening the book on a possible accident?

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

So far it’s a dull, but dry day, we’ll see how it progresses as time moves on. Both bins have been emptied so I’ll retrieve them from wherever they have been left before I set of for the swimming pool.

The afternoon has no plans, maybe a rest and read before Ava, Evie and Max come round for tea, as there will be no chance if either once they arrive! Each week we let them take it in turns to choose what will be the following week’s meal will be. So this week Ava chose chicken curry, luckily I had some sauce already made and I left some defrosting on the side overnight. So all I have to do is cut up the chicken and make the pilau rice, easy peasy.

Back later.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. This weekends visits has been decided, I was thinking of going to Brooklands until I saw the entry fees, ouch! and thats the pre-booked entrance fee (no mention of on the gate prices). If I was on my own I would go but it would prove expensive for my friend and his young son. Weather forecast is still good for the weekend and it looks as if next week will be a scorcher. Best wishes to all ER's who are under the weather, be back later.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Mawnin' awl. Bit cloudier today with a certain probability of some precip, I understand. As usual, we shall see, I suppose! Work doesn't start before 1325, so a bit of a lunch will be possible before I sortie.

Barbecue planned for Saturday, so it being at least dry then would be quite preferable.

In response to NG, it is usual for schools to expect a "medium term plan" to be placed in a central location at the start of each half term. This is to guard against staff illness so that the children's education can remain consistent. However this school requires far more detailed planning to be stored than I have ever seen before.

Andy, the usual practice you describe seems to be similar to that in schools in Saxony where teachers are usually asked to provide a rough draft of which of the major topics they intend to cover for the course of the term, and in what order. These rough drafts are usually given to the department head for the subject in question so that they are sufficiently informed of what should be covered in each individual class in the event of issues like extended illness-related absences. It is not uncommon for teachers to cooperate on these topic drafts and to share materials for individual lessons, too.

Planning work for individual lessons is then within the purview of each individual teacher and can be as brief or detailed as one prefers, and not usually required for presentation to anyone unless any problems of a certain importance should arise. I can't say whether this may be a specifically East German approach or even usual practice in most all of Germany. I do have the impression that certain differences exist between West and East Germany as far as such mostly administrative and organisational structures are concerned, though.

However, having read the Guardian article posted in response to your quandary, I do recognise certain similarities between the difficulties in teaching here and in the UK, such as the enormous workload for paperwork and documentation which comes on top of that for actual lesson planning and, obviously, time spent in the classroom - which is 26 hours per week in Saxony.

Cheers, folks… :bye:

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Kai Tak.....I swear after one hairy arsed landing we half of a tower blocks dhobi hanging off of the trailing edge, and saw at least on couple going thru the karma sutra!

Had to have several in the Wanchai to calm my nerves!

Hong Kong, what a run ashore that was to a (reasonably) naive 19 year old!

Still got the tattoo from the forbidden zone as well!

As long as the tattoo is not on your forbidden zone........................

'I say Ratty, does that tattoo say Ludo?'

'Sometimes, and at other times it says Llandudno Junction!'

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I see GDB is on another possible suicide missions I can't believe he tempts fate the way he does, Oi you tightwad get a man in our window cleaner does 

ours with the purewater method and it comes up sparkling. :D  

The thread is on a down hill spiral today main topic someones todger. :nono:

Me I'm getting away with blue murder today heaping it on a bit thick after yesterdays short visit to the hospital so I will be doing not a lot. :smoke:

have a good one Lazee B'stard

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

As long as the tattoo is not on your forbidden zone........................

'I say Ratty, does that tattoo say Ludo?'

'Sometimes, and at other times it says Llandudno Junction!'

I should have opened another book on how long it would be before that north Wales seaside resort would be mentioned after the subject of tattoos had surfaced.  As long as we don't start on about hamsters again.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208