The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Warmer here today than yesterday, but nowhere near the high figures seen further east and south.

It was a fairly quiet day until this evening when no 2 son phoned to say that he was lying on a cricket pitch where he had been at a cricket practice having either broken or sprained his ankle. He had trodden on a ball, and the wait for an ambulance could be up to 2 hours. Fortunately he texted again to say that he was at Leeds General Infirmary within the hour or so. From then on the news isn’t so good. Ankle X-rayed, but inconclusive so now awaiting a CT scan. In the last few seconds, another text says that it is an unusual dislocation, and he will be put to sleep while they set it. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will all be OK.

I hop that he goes on OK Simon, LGI is a very well resourced major trauma centre and has a good reputation so he should be in good hands.

Jamie

• Like 17

Warmer here today than yesterday, but nowhere near the high figures seen further east and south.

It was a fairly quiet day until this evening when no 2 son phoned to say that he was lying on a cricket pitch where he had been at a cricket practice having either broken or sprained his ankle. He had trodden on a ball, and the wait for an ambulance could be up to 2 hours. Fortunately he texted again to say that he was at Leeds General Infirmary within the hour or so. From then on the news isn’t so good. Ankle X-rayed, but inconclusive so now awaiting a CT scan. In the last few seconds, another text says that it is an unusual dislocation, and he will be put to sleep while they set it. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will all be OK.

He has done a McGrath!

Bill

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

This morning the sun is trying to shine, I suspect that it will get quite warm today. The plans for this morning are to remove a couple of large ferns an then fill the resulting holes. Hopefully all this along with a few other tasks will be done before dinner. Then hopefully the afternoon will be spent in the workshop.

Back later

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

very warm here in Surrey again.

Decided to have Wetherspoons breakfast as that should keep me going till this evening plus I can photo the freight from Purley if i finish it in time.

Todays plans is to play around with my two peco bullhead turnouts to work out what space will be required for a friends proposed new layout that I may be building for him. Also some more time practicing with acryiic spraying.

Stay cool all.

• Like 18

He has done a McGrath!

Bill

That was my first thought! Unfortunately it looks like his ankle is worse than McGrath’s back in 2005. He has just called to say that although the dislocation has been reset, he needs surgery on his foot next. He isn’t sure exactly what the problem is, or when the surgery will take place. He is naturally very worried and extremely fed up.

Just to add to the stress, United Utilities are due back here today to continue the water leak saga. I have absolutely no confidence that there will be any sort of resolution today, or even that they will actually get here after last weeks no show.

Can't determine if this has anything to do with the impending war with Iran.

I like the way you inserted Iran into the sentence.

eg. "please insert Iran/North Korea/China/Russia/Mexico/Canada/EU/England/A N Other Offended State"

• RMweb Premium

German insulators are different. As a kid I distinctly remember reading "any resistance is futile Englischer pig dog". Or was that just a comic?

I thought "Resistance is futile" was the Vogons...

This shunt should I hope measure 0.799 945 1 ohms...I'll Know in 15 minutes..

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Despite the heat I had a good nights sleep last night, waking at twenty to seven instead of the more usual six. I am thinking about clearing my spare room, to say that its cluttered is an understatement. I've been looking at self storage but that has to be considered very carefully as its not cheap, 25 square feet (9 feet high) is £70 per month. That is about twice the capacity of my shed which is still a work in process. Now time for muggatee, be back later.

• Like 1

I thought "Resistance is futile" was the Vogons...

This shunt should I hope measure 0.799 945 1 ohms...I'll Know in 15 minutes..

No. . .that was the Borg. . . 

The Vogons Was    "Resistance is USELESS" 

John

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Phil I suggest thinking more than twice about storage - even if the cost per month sounds not cheap the cost per year becomes rather daunting.  At one time I had two storage rooms and managed to get it down to one after about 6 months but even at less than £30 per month it very rapidly added up as the year went on.  And once you've got the storage room you'll always wonder how you can get rid of it, easy to get into the rut of having somewhere to put stuff that you might otherwise just send to the tip.  Far cheaper over the longer term to go for a shed although it means a bigger initial outlay.

The heat continues,nothing has changed but my neck is a little better so sleep hasn't been too bad fortunately.  We are even promised, at a pretty low percentage expectation, some rain in coming days but no doubt most it will evaporate before it reaches the ground or not long after it lands.  But in the meanwhile the management have me starting to sort essentials (trousers in my case) for the upcoming trip on the briny and maybe we'll get some sea breezes to take away the heat.

Have a good day one and all and stay out of the direct sun if you can.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Reprogged my sat nav, hopefully it will include model train stores!

If you can spare the time (and distance) I can heartily recommend Ready To Roll trains in Miami - just off the I-95.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

In England's second largest county, the loss of 'only' 600 jobs is a nightmare ! 

Let's hope they remember to dig up the remains of Guy Gibson's dog before the houses are built !  His name was ****** but we can't say that now !!

Probably the best book to read on Op Chastise is 'The Damdusters Raid' by Dr John Sweetnam.

He was a member of the academic staff at RMAS when I was a student there.

Nigger_%28dog%29.jpg

1280px-RAF_Scampton_022.jpg

By A. Carty at English Wikipedia, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=5574944

Hangar_at_RAF_Scampton%2C_showing_Nigger

By Linda Mellor, CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=9161993

Since it is part of the 617 Sqn museum, I doubt whether it will be affected by the sale.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Cheers, troops. Scorchio is the motto of the day. If this sounds repetitive, it damn right is! :jester:

Having run an errand, I’m currently cooling down in our rest lounge before my shift starts in about an hour. Not really much else to report, so, may I post a round of congrats and commies as appropriate.

Later, perhaps... :bye:

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Probably the best book to read on Op Chastise is 'The Damdusters Raid' by Dr John Sweetnam.

He was a member of the academic staff at RMAS when I was a student there.

Nigger_(dog).jpg

1280px-RAF_Scampton_022.jpg

By A. Carty at English Wikipedia, CC BY-SA 3.0, 

By Linda Mellor, CC BY-SA 2.0,Since it is part of the 617 Sqn museum, I doubt whether it will be affected by the sale.

There is now an excellent pub in Scampton village called the dambusters. It does good food and is full of memorabilia. The owners have a black Labrador with the same name as Gibson's. It's well worth a visit. And no, none of my family are involved in running the establishment.

Jamie

• Like 15

HUMP day...

Yesterday a last minute panic from the Long Island client as they needed some changes to a report due "yesterday" and had omitted to inform me of some additions to the various account categories - sorted...

Taking a half-day off today as follows;

1) Moments from now have the "pleasure" of visiting the dentist to have the first of a two-step procedure to get a dental implant for a molar lost earlier this year.

2) Noon appointment for Whitney at the veterinary to see/check her progress from the surgery a couple of months back.

Then work this afternoon, that is all!

18 and overcast first thing, expecting rain and possibly thunderstorms later with a high of 24.

Hope your day goes well.

Well, it's official - it's too hot.  It was 37°C on the way back from work yesterday afternoon, and I have given up on shirt and tie and come to work with shorts and T-shirt!

Funny, isn't it, that workplaces must be above a certain temperature for work, but there is no temperature too high in which to legally work - at least that's the way it always used to be.

Still sunny and warm here with a slight cooling breeze. Just done mum's grocery shopping. Sadly Sainsbury's out of soda water because of the CO2 shortage - better get used to it. See that it doesn't seem to have affected Coca-Cola. Now, what other fizzy drinks are there I can buy, but that aren't too sweet and a wee bit bitter?

Glad to see Andyram back again.

And have a good holiday, BlackRat.

Good luck at the dentist, Ian.

Hope everyone's day goes according to plan

Mal

Edited by Purley Oaks
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

No. . .that was the Borg. . . 

The Vogons Was    "Resistance is USELESS" 

John

Well actually .....

I reckon it's about time we brought out the Poetry Appreciation Chairs.  

Resistance IS useless. 

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, looks likw I've found a job for Gavin.  5 weeks after being referred to them, an doubt prompted by a reminder from my GP last week I have heard from 'Healthshare Oxfordshire' that I will be subject to  triage - based 100% on paperwork  :O  to decide if my GP's request for me to see a physiotherapist actually means something totally different?  which looks like a nice little jobsworth start to things.

It goes on to tell me that I 'will know what is to happen' when they send me a(nother) letter.  But if they don't send me a letter I have a 'phone number to contact,  but no indication if that means I don't get another letter between now and Christmas or if I don't get it with the next X number of days.  But it goes on with this piece of total gobbledegook -

'If you need to see a physiotherapist or podiatrist you will hear from us approximately 4 weeks before you are due to book your appointment.'   How the heck do they know when I am due to book my appointment as I don't even know myself and could in fact have quite happily booked an appointment over a month ago?   Does it mean they will contact me 4 weeks before a potential appointment date becomes available (which strikes me as logical) or does it mean I can start booking in 4 weeks time for an appointment at some indeterminate date in the future?  

On top of which I'm told the average wait for a physiotherapy appointment is 8-10 weeks which again is totally meaningless - if it was 10 weeks from the initial date of referral I should get an appointment in about 5 weeks time which means I need to be told next week that I am due to make an appointment,  Or does the 8-10 weeks count from the date of this week's letter, or does it count from being 4 weeks after I receive a letter telling me when I am due to make a booking?   I know that physio are very busy and there are long waits but the way they are operating the system seems to give one indication of why that is the case.  I seriously wonder if some of their time and money might be better spent on hiring someone to write their letters in plan and unambiguous English and when I eventually get to see them that is exactly what I shall be telling them.  Just as last year I had to the GP to rewrite their letter about diabetic review appointments because it was so ambiguous and didn't explain what needed to be in what order, last week I thanked him for getting the letter right this year - it was greatly improved and perfectly clear.

• RMweb Gold

Well actually .....

I reckon it's about time we brought out the Poetry Appreciation Chairs.  

Resistance IS useless. 

I think I'd give in and just tell them to get on with the hyperspace bypass. (Great shame they weren't doing the latest Harwell bypass, I doubt it would have taken the Vogons over a year to build less then 2 miles of road across open country.)

• Like 9