The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

9 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Nope , trains passing can  be seen .

What! Report them immediately. We can't have that. Putting workers lives in danger. Not on.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

A mix of sun and cloud this morning, according to the Met Office it might reach 11°C by lunchtime, then it will cloud over and be a bit less warm. I shall be pleased when the wind moves away from the north to north east where it has been for some time.  Breakfast has been eaten, e mails and photos done so shortly I will decided what to do for the rest of the day.

I may go out somewhere for a short walk this morning, the aches of the last few days have just about gone.  I did a bit too much lifting and moving things and gardening earlier in the week.  I will probably go a woodland country park to see the bluebells after that it will depend on how much energy I have.

The plants in the greenhouse seem happy, in a day or two the sweet peas will start to spend some time outdoors to harden them off before they are planted out, looking at the size of them they need planting out sooner rather than later.

David

• Like 17

On election nights I usually stay up and watch the results come in on the TV. But last night, as I knew there wouldn't be many results until today or tomorrow, I went to bed, put in my earphones and listened to the radio.

Some interesting conversations; one even got a bit heated. The programme broke off for the shipping forecast just before 1am. Can't remember if I've ever listened to it all the way through. In a way it's quite melodic; I tried to visualise travelling clockwise around the coast, starting in the far north, as it was read out. When you think it's finished, then come the inshore water reports and then the forecast.

I must have fallen asleep, then awoke at 3am still with the radio on and my earphones in...  Called it a day after that.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, polybear said:

Poo Tin descends to a new low:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68941220

🤬

....and......

Wotutterb'sterds:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c3glddq7p37o

🤬

The second item is a psychopath in training. The most chilling thing said to me gleefully by a child was I have found a hole the cat can't get out of. He went on to shoot his Dad in the back and I lost track of him after that.

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, 45156 said:

Morning All,

h round

Celebration takes the form af a few single malts from my somewhat depleted collection this afternoon, but 30747 suggested an afternoon tea at the Feathers - one of the oldest and poshest hotels in the town - at just under £25 a head it should be good. 

Have a good celebration Stewart. It’s a few years since we had afternoon tea at The Feathers but it was very good. IIRC we were staying at The Bear at the time.

Dave

• Like 17
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Good morning all,

Grey start to the day here with some heavy showers, possibly thundery, forecast.  It should clear this afternoon with the chance of some late sunshine. 9°C rising to a maximum of 17°C.

Nothing much to report.*  My iced bun got eaten with no ill effects.  However I did have a minor mishap as when I went to answer the front door (mate Tim from over the road visiting for a natter)  I caught my arm on the latch of the lounge door and ripped some skin off and drew blood.  Bobby has done a GDB for the first time in ages!

My mate next door Russ is somewhat hacked off.  A couple of weeks ago he got a large chip in the windscreen of his Kuga which was too big to be repaired so new screen required.  Fitter no 1 turned up last Friday, got set up to do the job and got screen out of van but had the wrong one so away he went.  On  Tuesday fitters 2 & 3 turned up in 2 vans but it then transpired that neither of them had the screen on board!  Yesterday 2 fitters turned up in 1 van and fitted the screen.  However they also managed to scratch the paintwork on both sides  of the top edge of the bonnet.  Russ is not happy and I believe multiple Snottocalls made and Snottograms are being sent.

I too am not happy, new Sim card still not arrived although the first direct debit has now been taken (for too bloody match).  A(nother) lengthy phone call has been made and BT/EE are again aware that they have a very unhappy customer.  Apologies have been given and I've been assured that a credit has already been raised after my last phone call but I just want the issue sorted.  Is that too much to ask? 

* Hmm, a bit more to report than I thought, how good is that, nothing beats a bit of a rant.

Timetogettamoveon, (The Boss is calling me)

Have a good one,

Bob.

The answer to your question 'Is that to much to ask' is Yes. You must realise that you are not a customer your somebody who they can extract money from that is all and they are doing you a 'favour' therefore you should be grateful to them. The fact that they couldn't organise a simply delivery isn't there fault. They had an unhappy childhood, didn't go to the right school, only took this job because there parents refused to pay for there round the world trip, failed at being an 'influencer', broke one of their nails etc etc etc.

Me cynical. No. Never.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 5
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

I must have fallen asleep, then awoke at 3am still with the radio on and my earphones in...  Called it a day after that.

That often happens to Bear - I listen to Harry Potter on Alexa every night and set it to cut off after 30 minutes; virtually every night I have to go back 20+ minutes to find a bit I remember from the night before, which suggests I usually get back to zeddyland in just a few minutes.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Still on a shipping theme. Just been having a chat with our neighbour. He's off on the maiden voyage of the new Cunard liner Queen Anne, leaving Southampton at 9pm tonight.

He said he's doubled the budget for the firework display as they depart. I told him he'd be popular with dog owners in the city... I couldn't resist mentioning icebergs too, in rather poor ttaste.

I said it must be a hard job, but he said someone had to do it.  

• Like 6
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

@polybear her indoors sorted, priced and placed 396 items of clothing yesterday at her volunteering emporium (Sue Rider). She also filled two large bins of clothes for sale to a local material recycling company..

baz

Does Mrs. Baz want a job?  We have Donuts - or cake.......

(There is one young "superstar"** at this place that spent the day steaming clothing.....how many did they manage?  Four.....in a day.....🤬

**It shouldn't be too hard for them as they've been to Uni.....

• Like 4
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Another good night, one call out from bladder control but about six hours ZZZ's in all. Got some calls to make and a visit to Tess Coes is on the agenda today but that's about all.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Have a good celebration Stewart. It’s a few years since we had afternoon tea at The Feathers but it was very good. IIRC we were staying at The Bear at the time.

Dave

I'll let you know - btw, my post got mangled so the reason for the celebration got missed out - it's there now

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I got home this afternoon and Mrs JJB had been eating durian today, uurrghh....a stern rebuke is needed me thinks.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

5 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I got home this afternoon and Mrs JJB had been eating durian today, uurrghh....a stern rebuke is needed me thinks.

Someone has to eat them, or the street traders will go broke...

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 12

17 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

A young guy I worked with said that if his parents wanted to eat durian, they were banished to the back yard - regardless of the weather.

• Like 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Good morning afternoon everyone 

We got up a little bit later than planned, so it was a bit of a rush first thing. Then when I opened the iPad, there had been another bl00dy update! 

Warning rant coming.

Whenever there is an update, for some reason all the apps etc I’ve got on my home page move about or get deleted, even ones I use regularly and they constantly add apps that I don’t want, so I then have to delete them. If I wanted them added, moved or re-arranged, I can do it myself, I don’t need bl00dy Apple to do it for me. So this took up about 20 minutes to sort out, pah. 

Anyway, once done, I headed off to the butchers and got the weekly meat rations and a pork pie for my dinner. After that, I headed off to the Trafford Centre for a few more bits and pieces. Now sat at the table in the dining room with a well earned muggertea. 

Back later. 

Brian 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

Whenever there is an update, for some reason all the apps etc I’ve got on my home page move about or get deleted, even ones I use regularly. If I wanted them moved or re-arranged, I can do it myself, I don’t need bl00dy Apple to do it for me. So this took up about 20 minutes to sort out, pah.

Whenever my Windows 11 updates it switches my temperature display on the home screen to @#)*%$^&  farenheit.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 9

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

I guess you haven't tried these then that I spotted in the local Woolies when looking for chocolate Paddle Pops.

. Nor have I!

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/821035/potong-coconut-milk-durian-pops

Edge of the seat stuff in the 3rd quarter, the crowd is going nuts! Gary The Parrot goes off whenever the cheers go up, he loves raucous. As do all parrots, which is why if you want to discipline one you can't raise your voice because they love that and redo the bad thing in order to get you to shout at them again.

Hopefully he's not supporting Collingwood but.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 15
  • Funny 2