The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

40 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

unfortunately by 4pm Mc Donalds had shut so no last Big mac for me

Is staying open for take away not an option in the UK now, or is this a decision by McDonalds in the UK?

Most chain restaurants in the US (in states where dining rooms are closed) remain open for take away / delivery / drive through business.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Is staying open for take away not an option in the UK now, or is this a decision by McDonalds in the UK?

Most chain restaurants in the US (in states where dining rooms are closed) remain open for take away / delivery / drive through business.

McDs and others in the UK have been takeaway only since Friday anyway.

This is a full shutdown as of 7pm GMT.

At lunchtime, I did my bit for a work colleague [*] and collected his lunch from a KFC that was next door to McDs.

There were a few cars in the drive-through queue for MCD. It took 20 minutes or more to get through teh KFC and it that time, McD closed - full stop. 

[*] I delivered it to him at the company warehouse where there were a few jobs that needed two pairs of hands. Obviously tried to be as far apart as possible, but not easy when some of the things we were carrying were only 4 feet long....... We held our breath.

On the car parks for these and other fast food outlets (Greggs/Subway/Starbucks), there were reasonable groupings of boy-racers. Quite happily milling about each other's cars. 

If I had my way, I would puncture their tyres as it's activity like this, that is going to bring on further measures.

I await the 8.30pm announcement with some anticipation that further stricter measures will be implemented.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 10
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Mike, like you there is a LDS church just up on the main road.  Don't come by very often but when they do they are most polite and I treat them with respect so they don't push their agenda.  Most times its two younger men but what intrigues me is sometimes two girls are out wandering around this rather rural area sometimes in the dark.  They must have faith in their Lord!:unsure:

Brian.

That, and armour-plated underwear, I believe.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 16

11 minutes ago, brianusa said:

... sometimes two girls are out wandering around this rather rural area sometimes in the dark.  They must have faith in their Lord!

I am quite sure they do! Though I can't imagine that the wilds of Gig Harbor are all *that* dangerous (other than motorists not seeing pedestrians in the dark and wet, which has become a big problem in Portland). Unless of course you have a marauding Sasquatch problem?

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Indeed not.  But operating as management contracts or - if they choose - continuing as they are but risking all with almost zero revenue.  However it might prove to be an exit-strategy from the broken franchising system even if not in the manner anyone had intended.  

What is does is assure those who need the service that the railways will keep moving.  And it reassures some of us to some extent who work for them that there will be another pay day in the future.  

The only thing that's really broken in the franchising system is the inhabitants of Horseferry Road making a mess of letting franchises.  Chiltern don't exactly come over as an indication that franchising doesn't work whereas the ECML has seen a trail of over ambitious bids accepted by DfT with no real questioning beyond the promised £ signs. This arrangement will keep trains, albeit in reduced numbers, running although it might not make much difference in respect of incomes with the 80%  in the event of lay-off etc already safeguarded by the Chancellor's earlier announcement.  Don't forget that in the management contract situation the percentage rate paid is linked to targets so it can change if, say, punctuality and reliability decline and they're set at 2% max of the cost base of the franchise so if the contractor reduces costs, which they will have done by cancellations, they make more money.   The man aim I'm sure is basically to keep things running at minimum cost to Govt and provided franchisees goyt their cost right they'll avoid packing in because they're now guaranteed an income.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/rail-emergency-measures-during-the-covid-19-pandemic

56 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Closed completely - they'd already shut seating areas.  Presumably while they say they're doing it for safety reasons I wouldn't be surprised if they've also found that the takeaway business wasn't particularly viable at some (most?) of their outlets.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Gold

People were queuing for the pre shut down burgers at McDonalds on Canvey Island. My neighbour who works at Morrison’s nearby told me (from more than two metres away). Other information was that fruit and veg supplies were quite normal now. 
Tony

• Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

They had been take away only for the past week but now completely closed my their decision.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

21 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they've also found that the takeaway business wasn't particularly viable at some (most?) of their outlets.

For many suburban fast food outlets in the US, the drive-through (more commonly "thru" :( ) is a very large share of the total business. Even in "normal" times, they are often almost deserted inside while a queue of cars waits.

"In-grocery store" Starbucks outlets are open, but (I believe*) the only freestanding Starbucks that remain open are the ones with a drive through. Drive-through coffee is a very big thing in the northwest. There are chains, like Dutch Bros, who specialize in this and in every small town locals will set up drive through kiosks on the side of the highway.

* I'm not driving around to find out.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

People were queuing for the pre shut down burgers at McDonalds on Canvey Island.

Many other places too (allegedly).

I wonder how many events like this a factored into the planning and modelling?  

We want to shut the pubs on Monday, tell them we’ll close them in a Friday night, they will all go bananas on Friday and everything will be closed on Monday as we wanted.

Lets close the schools at Easter, no, close two weeks earlier, let everyone pretend it’s a bank holiday and get it out of their system....

I’m sure the psychologists will have a term for it.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, BoD said:

Many other places too (allegedly).

I wonder how many events like this a factored into the planning and modelling?  

We want to shut the pubs on Monday, tell them we’ll close them in a Friday night, they will all go bananas on Friday and everything will be closed on Monday as we wanted.

A friend who owns a pub told me that they had their busiest Monday in many months last week anticipating a shutdown the following day. But it didn't happen.

This was followed by their busiest Friday in months, a few days ago, when it was announced.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Funny 1

Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" has developed a life of its own as a stadium sing-a-long song. (Strange but true.)

In light of the current emergency, he has tweeted out some new lyrics to the refrain.

Hands, washing hands,

Reaching out,

Don't touch me,

I won't touch you.

Sweet Caroline ...

I thought it amusing.

• Like 6
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold

Well I guess that I wont be able to get the car MOT done. The DVLA website suggests only lorries buses etc will have a 3 month extension to the MOT certificate. I might not require to use the vehicle but what happens when the road tax and does the insurance still cover it.

Oh well will have to just see if they update the DVLA website.

At least like Baz I have plenty to do at home. Not forgetting all that beer I have accumulated - shame that non of you can join me to drink it:D

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 8