The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Nope.. it was done after the marriage.. the marriage certificate has cummins on it...the next information has cummings (cummins) written in...

Baz

That does suggest to me that a spelling error had occurred and the two versions together on the document is an attempt to right that retrospectively.

My own surname is of French origin where it is spelled with only one L. My father's great-uncle, a photographer in Eastbourne, felt that it would be more "arty" to spell it the French way. I don't know if he had descendants who continued to spell it that way.

Having a double L causes confusion in France. Names concluding with LL are usually of Catalan origin.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium

Thing is after that generation all of the children were baptised cummings. May be to do with the Scottish ancesrory.. swapping clans even inthe 1700s wasn't something you did for no reason. For similar reasons going further back is problematical unless I can go and visit some Kirks in the Highlands

Baz

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

I worked with a guy forever known as Pod,   Paul  O'Donnell .

My initials meant that on an army base some thought I was claiming to be a Quarter Master... 

First mow done,  basically paths cut through the jungle,  some branches broken off in the gales have fallen in the  Alexander , they need clearing before the job can be completed. 

SWMBOs brother is still working,  but he's more hazmat protected than any corona nurse, he's a licensed asbestos stripper..  He's going to send me one of his face masks to use,  somewhat better quality than my dust masks .

That side of the family on the advert shown earlier, Rawlings had all sorts of variations on their name. 

Rawlins,  Rawlins,  Rawlings, Rawlins,  Rawlen,  Rowling, Rowlin, and versions of those with two "L"s 

• Like 17

Morning, me and my brothers don't have middle names, but my kids have, my daughters initials before getting married was JAM, she had a load of stick at school for that. Doing my family tree there's lots of Francis for men and Frances for ladies and you wouldn't believe how many different spellings there are for Worsdall (mothers maiden name), though as of yet I have not found a direct link to T.W. or WIlson Worsdell despite all the family telling since the 1950's that we are related.

TheQ, I think Mafeking is a nice name mate...………………………………….:dancer:

• Like 6
  • Funny 10

My parents concluded that the only name which could not be abbreviated was John. AFIK, the only official abbreviation is Jack although I do answer to 'J' in the right circumstances!

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1