The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I really do not like guns (although I admit to having a rather feeble air-rifle) BUT as we are surround by a majority who like to "pack heat", if things get any more bonkers here I might have to join the herd.

There's a guy just along the road who has a bit of land and there's a big sign that says "XYZ Militia - KEEP OUT!" We hear him loosing-off his guns from time to time and sometimes it's obviously automatic fire and more than likely illegal, but I'm not about to take it up with him.

I read a novel last year where chunks of the action were set in militia areas of Idaho. I wondered if it was like where you lived!

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I read a novel last year where chunks of the action were set in militia areas of Idaho. I wondered if it was like where you lived!

Ruby Ridge is only about 40 miles North of here. There was also a neo-Nazi compound near the local town of Coeur d'Alene but they were shut down some years ago. Unfortunately I think there is still a lot of it hiding in the woodwork. However, Idaho is the fastest growing state in the US which is likely to affect the demographics quite a bit in time.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 16

1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

Party like it's 1751 ...

Happy new year John!

Should that be "Novus Annus!" or would the Latinate form be considered offensive in the Georgian world?

The less than observant should note the presence of two (2) "n"s. It is impolite to wish someone a second posterior orifice, though I have heard several variations on that theme.

• Funny 18

56 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

there's a big sign that says "XYZ Militia - KEEP OUT!"

Is "XYZ Militia" his particular affiliation, or is that an instruction to the members of "XYZ Militia".

(OK I'm being a little facetious. Grammar isn't necessarily a strong point of such movements.)

A local had a signboard on the road ranting about the United Nations though I haven't noticed it lately. That unincorporated property will soon be annexed by the city as the suburban area fills in.

I hear gunfire on a regular basis. It is not a reason for concern. I am no more than 1.4 miles (2.25 km) as the crow flies from a gun club with open air firing ranges.

News reports of a couple of days ago indicated that ammunition is flying off the shelves of sporting goods stores.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 17

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

King Bill sits by the Hamoaze at the entrance, at Mutton Cove, to Devonport Naval Base. He is saluted by all naval ships passing in and out of the base.

Ah, Mutton Cove! Home to the Plymouth Nautical School’s fleet of cutters, whalers and one Stuart Turner engined motor launch when it was part of Plymouth College in the mid - late 60s. A different world!

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, brianusa said:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Bit of an eclectic mix tonight,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,<<I remember my mum taking me, in the late 50s or early 60s, up to Plymouth Hoe to watch, and hear, sunset being enacted at the Citadel which was then a Royal Marines Barracks. And watching the sun dip over Cornwall, The Sound darkening and the lights of the boats, the Breakwater lighthouse and from fourteen miles out, the Eddystone light, which was staffed then. Then walking down in the gathering dusk to the Barbican to get fish and chips.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

A few years earlier this could well have been my Mother and I.  Forget the name of it, but there was a decent F&C shop on Southside St along with Jackas (?) bakery who had the best saffron buns!  Between the two, you could catch the ferry to Turnchapel and have a decent picnic on the beach at Bovisand!

Brian.

Alas the Barbican Fish Bar went the way of all good things some time back.  It was replaced by another one a bit further back along Southside St which was pretty good but a quick wander down there on Google Maps indicates that it too has gone.  there is a 'chicken and (I think) chips' establishment with a fancy plastic frontage roughly where the old Barbican Fish Bar used to be. 

The fridge shook itself back into life this evening but the new one arriving tomorrow has not been cancelled, too risky to do that according to the management!

Interesting question as to whether or not we might get a King William sooner than we might expect.  Of course which ever one of them takes over we don't as yet know what title they would take.  I suspect the present Prince of Wales would be  more than likely to be George VII.   But what title William would take is anybody's guess and even he might go for George?

• Like 14
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. When I was in Tess Coes yesterday they didn't have my favourite bread in, it was either sold out or they didn't have the dough delivered. But they did have some of their three cheese bread which I do like. In the fridge I found a small pack of salami so I made a sandwich of that and the 3 cheese bread, very tasty. I've now taken out subscriptions for a couple of magazines that I normally purchase from smiffs as I doubt I shall be able to get to the shop any time soon.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 8

10 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I suspect the present Prince of Wales would be  more than likely to be George VII ...

Interesting observation there Mike. Is there still a grudge against the titular use of "Charles" after 335 years?  Too Scottish, too Catholic or both?

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Interesting observation there Mike. Is there still a grudge against the titular use of "Charles" after 335 years?  Too Scottish, too Catholic or both?

He's got plenty to choose from.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I think it will be more likely a sort of 'family tradition' thing reflecting back on the fairly recent male monarchies.  Using Charles would probably be a pretty daft idea I think - because the name has strong connotations of failure whereas George is associated with some fairly successful monarchies.  I doubt there is much, if any, concern among the various Christian religions except possibly in certain parts of Scotland and probably to a greater extent in the oft religious loony land of Northern Ireland (where the use of William for a monarch would undoubtedly set off some of the nut cases, particularly the ones in favour of it!)

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Using Charles would probably be a pretty daft idea I think - because the name has strong connotations of failure whereas George is associated with some fairly successful monarchies.

Thanks Mike, I appreciate the perspective. Interestingly to me, it was during the reign of Charles II (that the future James II as Duke of York and Albany) secured the American Colonies from the Dutch, Swedes and others and George III who lost them (notwithstanding national success against the French at the same time). I would attribute much of the late Georgian success to the Pitts (elder and younger).

The 17th century was a turbulent time in English (pre-British) politics.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 6
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium

My father's name was Arthur Wellington, the second brother was William Oliver, the third brother was John Paul, the sister was Harriet (I do not, and never did, know her other name), I see my maternal grandmother's  pattern here. :o

Anyway, good night owl from a warm Piedmont.

• Like 17

5 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

My maternal grandfather was christened Jack - not John but Jack. This caused him no end of trouble as the usual response when he gave his name as Jack to anyone in officialdom was, "You mean John." 

Like my brother-in-law Harry. "Henry?". "No, Harry".

• Like 18
  • Funny 1