The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

First we had panic buying, then we had social distancing and now - judging by a particular thread on RMweb - we have weird mangling of written English accompanied by a nigh on unbelievable ignorance of basic punctuation.  

Surely this is not new? We've had plenty of loose nuts on keyboards for years.

• Funny 13

6 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

So far as I know we only ever had one Marmaduke, who died in 1873.

I wonder whether that name is even used today (other than the cartoon great Dane dog). It's historically less popular than names like Agatha and Flora (disappeared from the top 1,000 after 1972*) or Agnes (disappeared from the top 1,000 after 1945*).

* In the US Department of Social Security baby name search tool.

In the US Presidential names are not uncommon including names like Harrison, Grant, Taylor, Tyler, and Madison, with Madison and Taylor being used more as girls names. Madison was the number 2 girl's name in 2001 and 2002. Garfield is not a popular choice - even since 1900, so this is not affected by the cartoon cat.

My sister named her son Harrison. (I suspect this has something to do with a former carpenter, turned action/adventure actor.) She did not respond enthusiastically when I suggested his nickname could be "Mr. President". I doubt she had ever heard of William Henry Harrison, who has the dubious distinction of the shortest Presidential term, having died after 31 days in office, possibly contracting a respiratory disease during his inaugural address.

• Like 17

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Bit of an eclectic mix tonight,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,<<I remember my mum taking me, in the late 50s or early 60s, up to Plymouth Hoe to watch, and hear, sunset being enacted at the Citadel which was then a Royal Marines Barracks. And watching the sun dip over Cornwall, The Sound darkening and the lights of the boats, the Breakwater lighthouse and from fourteen miles out, the Eddystone light, which was staffed then. Then walking down in the gathering dusk to the Barbican to get fish and chips.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

A few years earlier this could well have been my Mother and I.  Forget the name of it, but there was a decent F&C shop on Southside St along with Jackas (?) bakery who had the best saffron buns!  Between the two, you could catch the ferry to Turnchapel and have a decent picnic on the beach at Bovisand!

Brian.

Edited by brianusa
  • Like 19

33 minutes ago, brianusa said:

A few years earlier this could well have been my Mother and I.  Forget the name of it, but there was a decent F&C shop on Southside St along with Jackas (?) bakery who had the best saffron buns!  Between the two, you could catch the ferry to Turnchapel and have a decent picnic on the beach at Bovisand!

That chippy's the one we used. And  the bakery. But we used Jennycliff rather than Bovisand.

And do you remember the swing bridge over Hooe Lake?

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, 81C said:

Quoted content removed by Admin.

People who know me know I'm a pretty robust character, but this is getting to the stage where it is not funny and verging on the offensive.

Could you tone the references to your ex wife down a couple of notches on the bile meter please?

Better still, don't mention her at all.

• Like 2
  • Agree 12
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, AndyID said:

The headline on the BRM cover reads "Cornish Delight". Is that a bit like Turkish Delight?

Personally I would have gone with Cornish Pastiche but that's just me.

And inside, there's a big "See this layout at Ally Pally" stamp on a double page picture.

So that's where I was supposed to be last weekend...........................

(Some of the numbered captions are a bit off. I think Phil Parker wasn't listening properly at the time...)

• Like 16

We used to catch the train from Friary to Hooe, usually gated stock and an O2 then.  The sun was always shining and the water always warm in those days.  Its times like these, its good to have such memories; another time, another place:)

Brian.

• Like 16

38 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Names - I have William as  a middle name, which is a family name over many generations.  Various versions used for father/grandfather etc, Bill, Billy, Will and so on. I'm sometimes known as Will - those who know my surname will know why. 

At the risk of seeming bit morbid you might be sharing that name with the King of England sooner than you think, though I doubt that he'd be known as King Billy.

• Like 16
  • Funny 1

29 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

King Bill sits by the Hamoaze at the entrance at Mutton Cove to Devonport Naval Base. He is saluted by all naval ships passing in and out of the base.

I thought "Billy" was mainly used to refer the one before him which still has unfortunate connotations in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2