The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Hello again from Estuary-Land. Our bin wagons dawn chorus was just that this morning, well for the black (land-fill) sacks anyway. The pink re-cycling sacks have only just gone and now every things cleared. Will have to get on with filling the fox holes while the weather is dry, as its beneath a large shrub where nothing grows an old concrete slab is going in to stop any repeat. I too noticed the double avatar, no doubt Andy will get it sorted but I doubt it is very high on his list of priorities.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Seeing double FL-9's here too, must stop drinking the coffee too strong.

Completed the honey-do list of the day, mostly in the garden, so lunch then a walk I think as the temperature is now 15 and the sun showing itself mostly.

No foxes here, despite Foxdale's name!  No snakes, badgers, tax, no forget that bit......:lol:

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Seeing double FL-9's here too, must stop drinking the coffee too strong. ...snip...

Seeing ONE FL9 would be a blessing nowadays. Hmmm, on second thought, a jet would be even better!

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1

Pressure washing completed, or at least as much as I want to do in a day.  There was enough water supply from the old oil tank, so no mains water used.  Since then, I have managed to pick a few beans, peas, beetroot and dug up a parsnip as apparently we need one for the dinner tonight.  As it is a nice afternoon, I will venture back outside shortly to apply some teak oil to our garden seat, which is in dire need of it.  I have already cleaned off all the accumulated detritus and lightly sanded it, so just the oil to be applied.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

'dafternoon all,

Reporting for duty pricked and protected.  The flu shot was administered an hour ago and makes me among the first in the company this year to have taken up their generous offer.  The pharmacy cannot accommodate me until "the second wave" of vaccinations as they must attend to the over-65s first.  I don't qualify for that - yet - but I'm getting alarmingly close.  The surgery likewise has advised they cannot accept me until "at least late October" owing to NHS limits but somehow the employer has obtained enough vaccine ..... 

Weather has been sunny but clod.  Tomorrow is forecast to be wet and widny.  The thermals are on stand-by.  

I don't qualify for free vaccines yet, but I'm having mine next week.  It's a bit like private medical practice....If you pay you can get it pdq!

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I don't qualify for free vaccines yet, but I'm having mine next week.  It's a bit like private medical practice....If you pay you can get it pdq!

This year those age 50 to 64 will get free vaccines “later” after the old and vulnerable allegedly. Our GP surgery have sent us an appointment slot on Saturday 10th. The pharmacy we get our medication has also invited us to book a free jab too. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Filled the hole made by the fox and capped it with a concrete slab. Interesting item on the Repair Shop today, a treadle operated jig saw (the machine not the puzzle). I remember my dad having one back in the 50's but I can't remember what he made with it. It certainly wouldn't comply with current health and safety. Tea has brewed, be back later.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Anyone found a way of turning off notification to reactions?

If you click on the bell symbol in the top right of the panel it says 'Notification settings' click on that and at the bottom of the page you should find the switch off option.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Reporting for duty pricked and protected.  The flu shot was administered an hour ago and makes me among the first in the company this year to have taken up their generous offer.  

Crikey that takes me back an awful long way Rick.  We got free flu jabs at work on the London Division of the WR although i think the first ones were in 1968 and the last one I had was - ooh heck - in 1970 so  a mere 50 years ago :scratchhead::unsure:   (I was RHQ in 1971 and they didn't do them there.)

Interesting in all this flu jabbery talk that our surgery seems to have been ahead of the curve as they had the stuff available a fortnight ago although I don't think they start mass jabbing until this coming Saturday (it was the date we were offered originally).  Mrs Stationmaster had hers today at Tesco - no queue and all done nice and quickly with much sanitisartion of  everything in sight dne before she sat to get the jab.  But, no doubt to avoid any sort of panic, limited to only one per customer.

• Like 19

BIN day and a later than usual check-in.

Nothing of note yesterday (other than the daft spam email, of course!), fair enough! :)

Today, all quiet, except for the eternal rumble of myriad BIN trucks most of the day.

Later I'm off to our final Cabaret rehearsal.

With the Cabaret being a live-streamed virtual production on Saturday some of us have "volunteered", during the final rehearsal, in all the church/cabaret bumpf, to answer BASIC questions by phone this evening and have folks "attempt to watch the stream", for folks who aren't sure how to watch the show Saturday.

It's SUPPOSED to be a simple "here's the location you go to on you 'device'", with no technical expertise proffered, but given the demographic of most of the potential audience I'm fully expecting to have many callers wanting to know if their TV is even "smart", if they can connect their phone/computer to their TV, and if so HOW, etc., etc!! :jester::jester:

Will be an entertaining 3 hours, wish me luck :)

5 kicking off the day, cloudy and supposed to remain that way all day with a high of 11.

Tally ho.

• Friendly/supportive 19

5 hours ago, Tony_S said:

This year those age 50 to 64 will get free vaccines “later” after the old and vulnerable allegedly. Our GP surgery have sent us an appointment slot on Saturday 10th. The pharmacy we get our medication has also invited us to book a free jab too. 

Ours are both on Sat 10th as well, 2 minutes apart, 10.20 &10.22, I wonder if they will have to peel me off the floor in my usual fashion when needles are around.:o

Edited by Andrew P
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

We have both had the letters telling us to get the flu jabs but the pharmacy won't have them in stock till the end of next week so we will have to wait. In the meantime the plan for the day worked well and we got home by 7.30 pm. An evening  doing not a lot is being enjoyed.

Jamie

• Like 17

Evening All, 

Been helping out at the pharmacy today and so far the manager has given about 400 doses. The issue we have is actually storing them. The fridge is usually well stocked with other items so we have to have the flu vaccines sent in small batches from the warehouse. The only problem is the warehouses  have the same problem- not enough refrigerator space and are keen to offload their stock to us!When the Covid vaccine appears I think this issue is going to get even worse. 

I called at the chippy on the way home to get my tea as SWMBO had taken her mother and cousin out for the day and I had a bottle of gluten free Scarborough Fair IPS with my tea. I usually drink cider as it is naturally gluten free but someone had bought me the IPA for my birthday so decided I’d better get it drunk. I’m not much of a drinker, but this ‘brew’ went straight to my head, really wierd, but not unenjoyable! Enough rambling.

Goodnight. 

Robert

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Like Jamie this is an evening of me not doing very much. I saw a mention of a beer festival at St. Pancras marking the 152nd. anniversary of the beer store in the Undercroft (where its being held). I assumed its been cancelled but I can find no mention of it being cancelled. Its supposed to run from the 1st-10th of October if anyone's interested. Now for a brew of my own, tea. Be back later.

• Like 15

11 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning, on a much faster forum than last night when the 504's sent me to bed.

Q, do you think they were wanting you to ask for loads of gear so they can say the place costs too much to run, etc...?  Maybe not for answer in public now I think about it.

Moving on with all the legalese to wind up the business, almost there now, it is such a faff, and costs a fortune.  Like we had any money left anyway.....<_<

Sorry to hear the NB news, but as Mrs seems to have a new job then all should be well hopefully.

As for pets, we were so cut up when our last one went to the great whiskas bowl in the sky  we can't face it again currently, much as we like our cats.

1307595728_P1000282(Medium).JPG.7efbc04a45bc08f0c78564e2e72d209e.JPG

Know how you feel, went through it a couple of times.  But once you get another, you'll feel as good as you did.  You don't forget the old pet, you just have a new one!:smile_mini2:

Brian.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8