Scenic work in progress

Hi all

I thought it was about time I posted something on these pages.

This is an old diorama I have completely stripped down and am in the process of re building. The photos below show a small section of the dio (bottom right corner). I'm not too overly fussed about the season i'm modelling but basing it on what can be seen at this time of year. There are still more details to add weeds, nettles etc.

2010_0703lakevrnwy0048.jpg

2010_0703lakevrnwy0041.jpg

2010_0703lakevrnwy0040.jpg

2010_0703lakevrnwy0033.jpg

2010_0703lakevrnwy0031.jpg

2010_0703lakevrnwy0027.jpg

2010_0703lakevrnwy0026.jpg

2010_0703lakevrnwy0025.jpg

2010_0703lakevrnwy0049.jpg

This is what it used to look like

SHOPPHOTOS032.jpg

Thanks for looking

Ant

Well, yes, now... that's pretty damn special!

I assume you're using your own products here (of which I have some recently purchased sitting at home), so can you tell us some more about the techniques and products that have been used?

• RMweb Premium

That looks fantastic. It's O gauge isn't it? Don't know what time period this is set in (could be any looking at the picture) but are you going to add any greenery in the middle of the lane, to me this looks like it is missing.

Thanks Dave - Yes, they are my own products but I I don't want to be seen as using this forum as a blatent advertising tool. I Will quite happily do this dio as a step by step though and show the processes I use. Might have to check if that's within the rules first though.

Cheers Kris - Yes it is O gauge. Most of the work I do is O gauge but I do have plans for a OO dio, something to show two engines on - A Deltic (green) and an A1 which are waiting to be weathered one day

The lane will have weeds added to it mostly running along the centre but also around the puddle which will be on the bend of the lane. There will also be leaf litter and twigs etc.

I'll try to edit the post so everyone can see the images. I wonder can you see the one below?

post-9960-050572500 1287064820_thumb.jpg

Ant

Thanks very much for all your comments.

I have cleared it with Andy Y to show this a SBS and to show how I use my products. I'm here to learn things from you too so please don't think i'm only here to ram these things down your throats. I'll try to keep up with regular updates but i'm not promising every day!:unsure:

I know how I want the landscape in front of the track to look but the area behind the track is open to suggestions - a cutting, a row of trees and bushes, like a forest edge, or something a bit more railway based using lots of corrugated iron possibly? or even a mixture of all three.

Ben making the lane surface couldn't be simpler. The base for the groundwork is 2" polystyrene so is fairly soft, into it I scored a few ruts and gave it a general worn look. I have also gouged out an area on the bend of the lane which will eventually have "water" in it. Onto this surface paint a generous amount of a dilute mixture of approx 3 water to 1 PVA glue ( the surface can be painted with a matt brown paint first but this isn't really necessary). Whilst the glue is still wet take the Earth Powder and sprinkle from about 6" over the surface of the lane. You will see the powder draw the glue up. At this point more powder can be added to give raised areas, such as the center of the lane we have here. To help raised areas to draw the glue up spray the whole surface with a cheap hairspray until it is soaking, it will 2-3 days to dry but when it does you will have a very strong and realistic looking lane. I have gone over parts of mine with a very stiff bristled brush to add some differing tones. Basically - glue 1st then sprinkle on Earth Powder and spray with hairspray thats it. It works well in all scales.

Ant

My luck has changed at last, a "how to" BEFORE I get too far down the wrong path.

I am very pleased you have been given the go ahead and the fact that you are also able to supply the materials used I see as a positive bonus, and if that helps your business along the way it's fine with me.

I will read with great interest.

regards

Stewart

Hello Ant,

Thats good work there and no mistake.

Would these techniques and materials all be applicable to N gauge, by any chance?

Thanks,

Harold.

Hi Harold

Lots of people use these methods for N gauge, it's just a case of adapting the materials to suit the scale. I'll point these things out as I go along.

Ant

My luck has changed at last, a "how to" BEFORE I get too far down the wrong path.

I am very pleased you have been given the go ahead and the fact that you are also able to supply the materials used I see as a positive bonus, and if that helps your business along the way it's fine with me.

I will read with great interest.

regards

Stewart

Thanks Stewart

What I hope you will see is that the materials are pretty straight forward to use and can be adapted to suit the environment being modelled. If you have any questions i'll be only too happy to try and help.

Ant

• RMweb Premium

As a suggestion for the area behind the track.

At the moment the scene is very rural, so in keeping with this, and giving an excuse for some corrugated ironwork, how about a section of a dutch barn at one end, as small wall or fence line then a field of crops on the other side.

As a suggestion for the area behind the track.

At the moment the scene is very rural, so in keeping with this, and giving an excuse for some corrugated ironwork, how about a section of a dutch barn at one end, as small wall or fence line then a field of crops on the other side.

The last structure I made was a rusty dutch barn so I was going to try and avoid that idea. As for crops, that could work.

All the grasses and weeds for the dio will be made using "Raw Grass" - a fur fabric. This can be trimmed and coloured to suit the area being modelled. Again it is simple to get a reaslistic looking grass effect using the method below.

Take a piece of raw grass

post-9960-048539900 1287389670_thumb.jpg

Comb it so the fibers stand upright - trim if necessary

post-9960-040125900 1287389863_thumb.jpg

By hand rub in some water based paint - this is pre diluted poster paint

post-9960-021841700 1287390147_thumb.jpg

Work it into the fibers. It is also a good idea to add some yellow and brown to give some variation in the grass colour. This piece will be used for trimming little tufts off so a bit of variety will work well

post-9960-047618000 1287390600_thumb.jpg

post-9960-082006900 1287390639_thumb.jpg

Continue adding the paint until you are pleased with the colours. You can also spray it with an airbrush or aerosol but don't touch it until it has dried or the fibers will stick together.

post-9960-039151500 1287390709_thumb.jpg

Next take a comb and brush the fabric so all the fibers stand upright again

post-9960-000528500 1287390732_thumb.jpg

post-9960-030024800 1287390741_thumb.jpg

When it has dried it can be combed again to seperate all the fibers giving a sheet of ready to use grass/weeds. These are easy to trim off with scissors and then dipped in glue and attached straight to the scene

post-9960-043619200 1287390747_thumb.jpg

post-9960-056422800 1287390757_thumb.jpg

The same method is used to colour whole sheets of Raw grass which are going to be stuck down to the board with their backing on. On top this you can add tufts of differing colour to give more realism to your scenics

post-9960-025818400 1287391540_thumb.jpg

So this is how I will tackle the field to the front of the dio. The main grass work is down already and looking very green but this will all be toned down as I go along.

post-9960-099931700 1287391800_thumb.jpg

There are lots of ways to use this fabric and I'll post more examples as I work on the field.

Hope this is of use to you

Ant

My Scenic Kit arrived this morning, thats great service. Thanks Ant

Just going to re-read this how to guide and have ago

Thanks Tigger

Perhaps I should have said you don't need the paint for the grass too wet. Start light with the colour and add more if you need to, and remember to give the sheet some variety. I'll show you how I use the "canopy" plait soon.

Ant

Archived