Wencombe/Kingsbridge Regis/Louville Lane

westerner

I've been tempted by one of those new tea strainer grass applicators and it's interesting to see the results. It doesn't quite look as uniform a finish as a Grasmaster may give you, but nice, nonetheless. The colour does look vibrant next to your yellowed grass - but you do tend to get fresher greenery next to watercourses, and perhaps a pass with some weathering would help to bring the two shades together?

Great work on Wencombe - it's one of my favourites on RMWeb. Keep it up, and keep the photos coming!

i didn't put it very well. I actually meant re grass the whole lot. As it happens i've had a nother go by mixing the green with a beige and it seems to be much more like the original hanging basket liner, just a tad greener I'll post some pictures tomorrow when the glue has dried. There are bits of Wencombe which I think are too yellow so I might play with the mix over those.

Thanks Tom it would be interesting seeing fields of green in an engine shed environment and RSLR.

As you can see from the photo below the mixing beige and early fall green has given me a half way house which I'm much happier with (the area around the nail). It also now gives me an idea of how various mixes of the two colours will come out if I want to vary the shades of green. it will be interesting when i try it on the area just beyond the boggy bit which is very yellow.

post-7090-0-71228800-1330103402_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Hi Alan

It's suprising how different the colour looks to me in the two pictures. They both look good, although I think some of the original details you put in - the tufts etc - don't show up as well on camera with the new grass. Anyway, it's still miles better than my old scatter!

Regards, Les

Thanks chaps for your kind comments. I agree that the chances are the grass would look healthier nearer the water. Personally I feel the tufts sit better now, and I might add a few more. Les, the difference in lighting is because I've not used my photo flood and I'm just using the one bulb in the room, and therefore the slightly different angles produce a different effect. When this area is fully finished I'll get the floodlight out and take some better snaps.

• Like 1

Ah that was a very long time ago!!!

Actually I've cheated a bit on the grass further away from the front of the layout and repainted the hanging basket liner it with a less thinned down version of the original colour (Tamiya Flat Green). When dry etc I'll take some snaps.

Edited by westerner

• RMweb Gold

Alan.Am I right in saying that that footbridge on your platforms is the venerable Hornby plastic kit ? It don't look too bad for its age and a lot cheaper than building the Scalelink version. :sungum: Can you give me some tips on its construction as I need one for Brent.

• Like 1

Robin you are correct it is the old Hornby one. As to tips on its construction I can't be very helpful I'm afraid as its over 10 years since I built it. As far as I can remember it went together quite easily, It must have as it was one of the first kits I put together. The problem with it is that it is meant to be ground mounted not on a platform therefore it is too high. I keep thinking about making it lower by cutting the last section of stairs off and reducing the height of the uprights. But so far I haven't plucked up enough courage to do it.

• Like 2

A chang eo tack from all that green stuff, 2258 trundles into Wencombe with a short engineers train with my new purchase the Hornby 10 ton crane, picked up for something less than the £24 odd pound they want. It's had the couplings changed and a repaint.

post-7090-0-22863000-1330967134_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-23322700-1330967164_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-67596700-1330967214_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-92354500-1330967245_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-20476300-1330967272_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• 3 weeks later...