Wencombe/Kingsbridge Regis/Louville Lane

westerner

Western Empress powers up as it passes the dairy on the last leg of its journey with the down South Devonian.

post-7090-0-82241200-1336315193_thumb.jpg

Sometime earlier Warship Elipse accelerates awy on the up Paddington express whilst the Bubble car stars to shake and rattle its way down to Slapton.

post-7090-0-23609200-1336315376_thumb.jpg

Edited by westerner
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

The stream by the way is Realistic Water.

How did you get on with this product Alan as the instructions state its not meant to be brushed on.You're supposed to pour it apparently. :scratchhead:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the delay Robin I've been away for a week.. You are correct you do pour it. The first time I used it on the old layout i poured it a bit too deep and although it looked and felt as if it had set it hadn't, so when I put some boats on it (it was a harbour scene) after a week they more a less glued themselves to it. I did manage to get them off but with some difficulty. Although not so important for the stream I took great care in only putting a minimum on, and then gave it a week and then added a bit more. I did this three or four times. This time it dried quickly and non sticky. Some of it ran over the rocks so they had to be re painted to get rid of the shine.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Alan, the photos in your post today are among the best you have taken. I particularly like the top shot.

What type and grade of ballast have you used for your mainline?

Cheers,

Jeff

Alan, the photos in your post today are among the best you have taken. I particularly like the top shot.

What type and grade of ballast have you used for your mainline?

Cheers,

Jeff

Yes I certainly agree with Jeff.

Getting the camera down to track level certainly adds a lot more realism to your photographs.

(much prefer some steam motive power though!)

Cheers!

Frank

Thanks chaps for kind comments.

Jeff the ballast is Woodlands scenic about a fifty/fifty mix of fine and medium. The colour was the light grey which didn't look quite right so I sprayed it with Humbrol dark brown acrylic from and aerosol. reas where locos are likely to stand have ben spryed with smokey black.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks chaps for kind comments.

Jeff the ballast is Woodlands scenic about a fifty/fifty mix of fine and medium. The colour was the light grey which didn't look quite right so I sprayed it with Humbrol dark brown acrylic from and aerosol. reas where locos are likely to stand have ben spryed with smokey black.

Thanks Alan. I thought there was a fine element in it, as I'm convinced "medium" is overscale for OO. I also use Woodland Scenics and found the "grey blend" was quite a good mix, especially when treated with a bit of grime.

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Alan, that last photo is an absolute cracker! Even the cloudy sky in the background matches the current June situation.

Sorry to keep asking questions, but what did you use for the coarse grass. Is it basket liner, or something more subtle?

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

Keep asking Jeff. Your correct it is Hanging basket liner which I bleached and then painted with a very watered down tamiya Flat Green. Not sure i'd bother with the bleaching nowadays (it actually teurned the hanging basket liner yellow. still it helps with the sun bleached look of it.

Looking at the photo I must get round to put the etched wipers i have somewhere hidden awy.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Alan. I'm still at the baseboard stage of my layout, with track to be purchased over the summer. So I'm going through my favourite layouts on the Forum looking for ideas and things I've not seen before. Hence all the questions.

I was very happy with the scenics on my old layout, but I know they can be improved, especially with the grass textures. A static-grass applicator will be an experiment worth pursuing, but good-old hanging basket liner is an excellent rough-grass implement!

Thanks,

Jeff

If you look at the track plan on page 1 of the tread you'll notice it is more of an ovoid shape in the scenic section thus allowing reasonably sweeping curves.

As well as easing the curve radius at the corners, avoiding the sudden change from straight to curve banishes any hint of trainset. :) If you look at Iain Rice's books, he usually uses the same sort of geometry on his continuous run plans.

That last pic is a cracker, I had to look twice to see if it was real or model, more pics like that please, and how about an almost overhead shot along the line please, All the best Andy.