Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Wencombe/Kingsbridge Regis/Louville Lane

westerner

• RMweb Gold

Have you tried the Bachmann pipe coupling as I think it looks and works great.Need to be fixed rakes though.Although comparing yours with mine it looks like yours are closer.

post-126-0-53859600-1358703726.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 8

I must admit I haven't Rob, but the Hornby really close couple. Two things come to mind on the occasional derailment is that the extending bits of the coupling may be v. slightly gummed up by my weathering the underframe, I might try a brief squirt of WD 40 and the corridor connections might just be catching so I'll put thick cartridge paper endplates on to act as rubbing plates. If that doesn't work I'll try and find all my Bachman pipe couplers and use them. But i do like the closeness of the Hornby couplers.

Hi Alan,

Please DON'T use WD40, it can attack some plastics!

Also, it's not a good lubricant and only average as a

penetrant. It is only good for one thing, and the clue

is in it's name, Water Dispersant.

The best thing would be a silicone spray lubricant,

it is meant for plastics and is available at all good

plumbing merchants.

Cheers, Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Now you've added a photo Robin what have you used between the corridor connections are they the Modellers Mecca corridor connections?

They certainly are young sir and made specifically for Bachmann Mk1s.

I also use the Hornby close-couplers on my rakes of Bachmann Mk1's (the Roco style ones?) and found a few of them use to de-rail occasionally. I found that if I pulled them out very slightly,(which involved cutting off the little lugs that hold them into the NEM socket and then gluing them into place) that the extra 1mm or so of clearance between corridor connections was enough to do the trick. The corridor connections still touch on the straight so you don't compromise the lovely close connection but they don't 'snag' each other when coming off the curves and onto a straight section of track.

Lovely weathering BTW!

Just a tiny drop of superglue. I took the offending couplings out, re-inserted them a bit further out, ran them round a few times to check they did'nt de-rail again and then applied a drop of superglue to the inner end of the coupling.

I can't believe it took me so long to read this thread! In my opinion, you have taken a classic premise and made something absolutely sublime. I am particularly interested in Departmental stock and was very impressed by your ballast train. Do you have any plans to add more wagons to it?

DeathWatch thank you for your kind comments. As to the ballast train I'm not sure. Last night before watching the prog on BBC4 I was going through my stock boxes and arranging my fiddleyard to see if a timetable I've dreamt up will work and I suddenly realised how much stock I do have. I suspect less than half of it is on the layout, so I may have to rationalise before building more stock.

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments Jamie and Neil.

Mark,

The Brake third is a set of Comet sides on a donor coach of a Hornby B set. My first effort at such building. It is only this week that I've glazed it,even though I built it some 7 or 8 years ago, mainly because when I cut the doonor coach to match the windows in the new sides I didn't really leave enough rom to make it easy to put the galzing in.

I still need to add the transfers and although I have the guard  and the luggage compartment weight transfers I haven't any numbers I can easily apply without doing individual numbers. By the way the numbers are 5589- 5630.