Ring Road - WCML in N (Blog replacement thread)

bmthtrains - David

• RMweb Premium

Hi David,

Adding my commiserations on the burglary and it's aftermath, in some ways one has to be grateful these days for simple old fashioned theft.

I'm waiting for my NGS snowplough to arrive

The snowplough will be well worth the wait, mine arrived the week following the Warley show - didn't dare trust to luck in being fit enough to pick them up although I managed one day - and are very nice indeed B)

Regards, Gerry.

• 5 weeks later...

Right, here we go...with much trepidation, I have begun the exhibition upgrade.

The main job is rewiring the layout. It works fine, but my worry is the original wiring was rather slap-dash in its approach, and if I were to have a loose connection at a show, it would take an age to trace it back. I wasn't at all confident either that the wiring would withstand multiple transportation to venues.

This is the right hand board's wiring as it stood:

post-6666-0-96256800-1294504044_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-93207600-1294504053_thumb.jpg

I've completely removed this rather colourful mess and replaced the main terminal block with 4 separate ones, so the wiring for each track simply goes: controller-terminal block-track/connection to left hand board

post-6666-0-64201500-1294504068_thumb.jpg

By having these separated, its much easier to trace any connection issues. I've also attached the wires to the board so they won't come loose. The wires going 'up' are the connectors between boards, the wires going off to the side are to the controller, while the yellow wires will go to the tracks (these need connecting next).

Electrics will never be my strong point, and I wish for the time and ability to achieve something as glorious to look at as Missy's incredible efforts, but this is far better than it was (well, it will be once I've tested it, cursed, ripped it out and done it all over again!).

Once this board is tested and given the big OK, the left hand board is simpler to wire up, and then its onto upgrade step 2 - replacing the card front with a plywood one, and creating a lid for transportation.

David

• RMweb Premium

That looks to be much easier for you to fault find on. Having a loose wire is a nightmare. Something that I have done in the past is to write on the baseboard at the wire joints, what is what.

• RMweb Gold

David

I agree fault tracing is important and that's going to make life much easier at a show. Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Rather than use the nailed in wire clamps I use the plastic ring binding combs sold in staples for binding reports to keep the wiring tidy and easy to pull out for changes or fault finding. I just put a small screw through each end for a full length one and then pull the combs, say three at a time, up with a slim screwdriver to pop the wires in or out. You could have a run for each track as they are easy to cut to short lengths too.

Here's what I mean.

http://www.staples.co.uk/laminating-and-binding/combs/staples-8mm-combing-rings

Thanks guys.

I am pleased to report that the wiring is going well! The layout is now up on a trestle so I can reach underneath. The outer two tracks are now live and fixed in place. Tomorrow I will do the inner two, then the tram track below, and next week swap to the other board, do the same, and then its ready for the new outer panels to go on. Oh, and I had to give my NGS snowplough a quick run as well...

David

post-6666-0-50848900-1294510317_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-04642500-1294510319_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-88680500-1294510320_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I am hoping to get to see this in the flesh again this year.

It's also featured on the Modern Structures In Miniature modern image layouts Volume 9 DVD, they are basic with no frills or commentary but a cheap way to get a good impression of the layout and a few others.

I'll admit to knowing Nigel well who makes them but they are good and Rail Express and others also recommend them.

It's also featured on the Modern Structures In Miniature modern image layouts Volume 9 DVD, they are basic with no frills or commentary but a cheap way to get a good impression of the layout and a few others.

I'll admit to knowing Nigel well who makes them but they are good and Rail Express and others also recommend them.

Thanks Paul. I will keep an eye out for that DVD. I am lucky enough to have seen the layout in the flesh once before and have to admit to being blown away by it to the extent that it inspired me to design a layout for my modern image rolling stock. Unfortunately it looks likely that it will never be built but still I have kept hold of my stock for a year or two extra.

The upgrade is progressing rapidly, which is helping me no end to be honest. I was starting to panic a bit about the exhibitions - a lot to organise, and I'm conscious of the standard of the other layouts attending - all built for show, whereas mine wasn't expecting to venture out of the dining room!

I've now re-wired the second board, and all that remains on the electrical front is to test both boards together, and connect the tram line. This hasn't always run smoothly, and if its still not up to scratch, I'll just display it with a static tram at the shows.

I've also tidied up the 'rear' of the car park - realising I'm going to be stood behind the layout rather than in front, I've started to spot all the shortcuts I made when building it in little corners you can't see from the front!

David

post-6666-0-86587200-1294826992_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-77771200-1294826995_thumb.jpg

I've also tidied up the 'rear' of the car park - realising I'm going to be stood behind the layout rather than in front, I've started to spot all the shortcuts I made when building it in little corners you can't see from the front!

I wouldn't worry too much, like Mr Hedges and the 2mm Woodhead roundy roundy you remain an ambassador to N gauge modellers of just what can be achieved in a little space.

I'm very space starved and watching your developments along with Grahame's has spurred me on to produce a 4x4 N roundy capable of storing a full HST rake in it's fiddle yard and still have a reasonable scenic run.

• RMweb Gold

Hi David

Well done with the wiring upgrade. I know from experience that such important but "out of sight" maintenance jobs are not always easy to get motivated for!

I hope you can get the tram working - it would certainly add an extra dimension for your show audience.

I'd also suggest perhaps using some black or grey mountboard covers to hide the curves at each end. They would of course need to be removable in case of derailments. Apologies if you have already done this!

cheers

Ben A.

P.S. Glad you like the snowplough!

Thanks for the comments guys!

This morning saw a nice moment when both boards were run together again. At present just the 2 fast lines make a complete circuit as I need to replace isolating fishplates on the slow lines (I've taken out an isol section that was never used). All that remains now is to wire the tram, then move on to the new wood fascia.

As Ben suggested, I'm going to 'tunnel off' the ends with new wood surrounds, and paint the interior black so the trains properly disappear. I'll do both these jobs during my week off at the end of Jan, which will also see a complete track clean, and a thorough running-in of all stock (those pesky Dapol locos didn't want to move this morning!)

In the meantime, here's a couple of videos showing this morning's test runs.

David

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEwM7wDCDLY&hd=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDdIibJCEBU&hd=1

• RMweb Gold

I was starting to panic a bit about the exhibitions - a lot to organise, and I'm conscious of the standard of the other layouts attending - all built for show,

As the build topic proved you have nothing to worry about modelling quality wise and now you've improved the quality of the electrics I think you have a layout truly ready for shows. I hope you enjoy the experience as it's a lot of fun if you have a crew to give breaks so you can see the rest of the layouts too. Exhibition managers sometimes ask if you know of other layouts they could book and yours is certainly one I would recommend.

• 3 weeks later...

The final push of the upgrade began today - the tram is now wired up, track cleaned, buildings touched up and glued down, and tomorrow the new fascia goes on. After that a bit of celebratory running, and then its down to booking help, vans, etc for the two shows.

In the meantime, I'm thinking about stock. I have a rough plan for what will run on the day (I'm not having a timetable, just a relaxed approach to running what is stacked up in the 8 storage roads), and there will be plenty of scope for running some 'specials'. Apart from the standard 66s on freight, DMUs and Voyagers/Virgin 87s, I have a fair amount of unusual stock that will be given cameo runs during the shows:

Tamper

Eurostar

Southeastern 395

Autoballasters

90 Scotrail sleeper

And some of these...

post-6666-0-71321000-1296490826_thumb.jpg

My scratchbuilt pair of a 350 and 321 will give a definate west coast feel to the layout, and although best not looked at too closely, I think they will get a lot of exercise as the main prototypical EMUs on the line.

post-6666-0-32004800-1296490830_thumb.jpg

Abandoned after Dapol announced they were to produce one, I have one powered HST for the New Measurement Train. This might make an appearance with a dummy 66 or 67 dragging it somewhere for inspection.

Also abandoned after Dapol announced it - I had started to work out how to make a rough Pendolino, and given Dapol have now put that release on hold, I'm wondering if I can build one in the 2 months left before the first show.

I have a redundent Mk4 set that was first repainted into NX East Coast, and has since been hastily vinyled into East Coast livery:

post-6666-0-33155800-1296490832_thumb.jpg

It's not particularly well done, and also not right for my west coast setting, so I am thinking of taking the plunge and using the set as the basis of my Pendolino. I had started playing with Miliput on an old Mk4 body a few years ago, and here is how far it got:

post-6666-0-17018200-1296490834_thumb.jpg

The first time I'd used the stuff, I was actually pretty pleased with how it came out. The nose shape is completely wrong, but as a test for using it as a modelling material, I think I could do a pretty acceptable second attempt.

The Pendo driving car here is sat next to a reliveried Mk3 coach, but the plan would be to run a full set of modified Mk4s. The tricky part actually won't be getting that nose shape, its going to be the roof. Pendolinos have a strange curved-then-cut-flat roof that is pretty distinctive. Driving power would be provided by a 170 or 158 chassis, and the end result would be pretty rough and ready, but whizzing down the fast tracks at full speed I don't think it would look too bad.

Its not as I don't have enough modelling planned - upgrading Ring Road, planning the shows, oh and not to mention starting my first OO layout, but I think I will give this a go, as the Pendolino racing round the layout would look pretty smart...

David

Well Dapol had better hurry up then, as Alstom have delivered 6 intermediate car bodyshells already... B)

post-6666-0-00033400-1296511484_thumb.jpg

This is powered already, next steps are:

Smooth off roof profile (longitudinal ridges to be removed)

Paint roofs and add pantograph and air con details

Add correctly designed bodyside vinyls (mock up being used on one car)

Build 2 new driving car ends

Replace old pizza-wheels with darkened slimmer sets

It won't be an entirely accurate model of a Pendolino, but as with my 321 and 350, it will give a good impression, and at speed, that should be enough. Not bad for an afternoon's work so far!

David

stunning david

just a shame that as you have also posted on my thread regarding the Pendolino that Dapol have put this on a back burner which is a great shame for your layout and for me also :(

A productive but exhausting day today - with my parents visiting, my Dad helped with the layout upgrade, and gone are the card surrounds, and a nice strong plywood construction is now in place:

Both boards now have these sturdier end pieces, and it has made me much more relaxed about transporting the layout, as the two boards will now sit on their backs bolted together in a nicely secured position. I need to paint the wood on each board over the next few days, darken the interior, and construct a card lid to sit over the hidden curves.

post-6666-0-66208500-1296597790_thumb.jpg

With the woodwork complete, I have turned in earnest to the Pendolino this afternoon, and I'm pretty pleased with how a pantograph car has come out. This is almost complete, a few bits of detailing to go on, and I couldn't get the roof ridges off - if thats the biggest compromise, I'm happy. The red in these photos hasn't come out well in the light, but is pretty much identical to Virgin red. At speed, the rake looks like a Pendolino, just not one for rivet counters to get too close to!

Next up is the similar pant car for the other end, then the intermediate coaches, then the big part - the two driving cars!

David

post-6666-0-97937400-1296597794_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-08009300-1296597793_thumb.jpg

Archived