Ring Road - WCML in N (Blog replacement thread)

bmthtrains - David

With the end of my 4 month stint commuting to London for work now within sight, I'm hoping to at last get back to some modelling. Its been a long while since I've either made anything or even run the layout. A combination of work commitments, and if I'm 100% honest, a case of modelling fatigue (2009 was a year of almost total devotion to building the layout), has kept me from doing much at all.

Ring Road featured in Model Rail this spring, and is now on Volume 9 of MSIM's Modern Image Layouts DVD series. Next year, I am venturing out with the layout to two exhibitions in the spring - testing the water to see out if I enjoy being on show. I'd also like to start another layout in the new year, but am not really sure what I want - if possible a 'play' layout that sits on a single board and is easy to get down and run for an evening. Unfortunately though, there's that track plan based on Rugby that I drew out constantly tempting me into something bigger...

Anyway, with a week off work (my last before Christmas, so an important 'recharge' for me), I got Ring Road down for a short run. I've taken some snaps below, realising that this is probably the last time it will be out before the partial rebuild in January (the card front and sides need replacing with wood, and the storage loops need relaying) to get it ready for its show outings.

After such a long break, I've decided to carry on with any updates on a thread rather than the blog, as I've come to prefer this style of post.

David

post-6666-083081100 1287675715_thumb.jpgpost-6666-076902100 1287675630_thumb.jpgpost-6666-032768000 1287675633_thumb.jpgpost-6666-039476400 1287675636_thumb.jpgpost-6666-065965800 1287675638_thumb.jpgpost-6666-018165500 1287675641_thumb.jpgpost-6666-059831700 1287675643_thumb.jpgpost-6666-022246100 1287675646_thumb.jpgpost-6666-010354000 1287675649_thumb.jpgpost-6666-075102300 1287675651_thumb.jpgpost-6666-079476500 1287675654_thumb.jpgpost-6666-073176300 1287675682_thumb.jpgpost-6666-026518600 1287675686_thumb.jpg

David

This is an intersting layout, and I am impressed with the convincing modern feel of the buildings and how well the railway blends into the surroundings, not just a case of the buildings and scenery plonked about the track to fit.

Also I really like the backscene (being from Coventry B) ) - can you buy this (in 00) or is it bespoke?

Cheers

Trev

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see you back. Quick setup is definitely an advantage have you thought about something that is hinged so you can put it out and unfold it then hide the hinged blocks with some nice big buildings? You could store trains in cassettes and just drop them onto the fiddle yard on a dead end track making changing trains quick too.

The cassettes could be powered too and just have foam inserts that slide in either side of the train to hold it for storage. I'd look at the blue foam that staples sell as edge ptrotectors in the packing and wrapping section as they slice up easily with a scalpel and would give metre lengths. I know they would be fairly long but would the really useful wrapping paper boxes be long enough for some trains? They would stack on top of furniture or hide away underneath some stuff.

Thanks for the comments guys!

The backscene was created on photoshop - 6 separate images of different places merged together so the roads all lined up.

Getting something easy to set up is key for next layout - without a dedicated 'railway room', the layout usually sits over the dining table with 2 tressles either end. Ideally I'd like a simple 5 foot layout that can be plonked on the table without any extra disruption. Rough idea below, but this hasn't properly inspired me yet as its all track and no scenery at the mo! I usually start with the 'world' and run the railway through it, when planning ideas.

Oh, and the petrol was expensive when I built it - my attempt at future-proofing it was evidently too optimistic!

David

post-6666-006889400 1287681730_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

One thing David. That fan of sidings on the lower half, scenic bit? , is the track to it a siding also that goes off scene? If it's a running line then the sidings need a trap point or better still a crossover and headhunt to protect the mainline.

Hi Dave

Go to say... WOW... Love IT... Dude

At what show will you be exhibiting at....?

I want to see it in the flesh...

Love the Latest Hornby Release of the Pendolino Livery DVT and MK3 Coaches, you have made me want to go out to buy the pack now...

Keep the photos coming... I started Exhibiting with my model club and have to say, although it a lot of standing on your feet for most of the time... It worth it and enjoyable to hear comment from on-lookers and other exhibitors around you and what they have and lots of hints n tips, but I don’t think you need any based on what I see, more like the other way round mate. Love the Photos and we want to see more of it...

Love the Tram too, real model and is always a great please to see at any exhibition as they aren’t enough on the circuit in my mind.

What is the actual size of the layout... including Fiddle Yard...?

Regards

Jamie

Thanks all,

Ben, the shopping trolley came from an American company, will dig out the name if I can find it, they make all sorts of brass bits, reasonably priced too. They were a b*gger to make though!

Jamie, they aren't Hornby - this is all N, so its the Dapol set. Total size is 10 feet by 2 feet 6

David

• RMweb Premium

Hi David,

Good to see the updates returning, I do like this layout a lot...it is a really good example of the 'less is more' approach, not to mention the skillful blending of kit and ready-made buildings with scratch-built structures. It is amazing how uncommon it is to see everyday structures such as large stores and hotels modelled...in any scale.

Out of interest, which shows is it booked for during the spring?

P.S. Insufficient numbers of Volvos in the IKEA car park. ;)

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Great to see more photo's, I do hope I'll get to see it for real sometime ;)

Where did the etched shopping trolley come from?

Gold Medal Models? Some of the 'flat-pack' type would also be useful for Ikea type stores (and easier to fold up?), if someone thought there was enough of a market for them - maybe the luggage trolleys I seem to recall on the NGS RMC hopper etch might substitute B)

Regards, Gerry.

Guest 40-something

Hi David

Loved this layout since I first seen it, very inspiring and I think Im getting more and more drawn to N. All I need is an announcement of Class 25's and Mk2's and Im sold!

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

It looks like the shopping trolley is te Gold Medal Models etching; thanks for that info. Anyone know of a stockist in the UK? Googling yields nothing, partly because the words "shopping cart" or "shopping trolley" are featured on just about every e-merchant's website!

cheers

Ben A.

It looks like the shopping trolley is te Gold Medal Models etching; thanks for that info. Anyone know of a stockist in the UK? Googling yields nothing, partly because the words "shopping cart" or "shopping trolley" are featured on just about every e-merchant's website!

Ben, I ordered directly from GMM in the US. It was a long time ago now but I think I paid by PayPal.

PS - I featured the shopping trolley, along with other fine detailing accessories, and gave details in N'spirations2.

post-33-093923400 1287715075_thumb.jpg

G.

• 1 month later...

A quick update again:

No modelling of late, but plans are now complete for the upgrade and presentation of the layout for next spring's exhibitions. My flat was burgled last week, thankfully it wasn't ransacked but both my computers and camera were taken so I've lost all the photos of the layout as well as all the graphics for roads, buildings and signs etc. I also lost my stock record so before I get the layout insured for it's trips out, I get the fun job of listing all my rolling stock again!

I'm waiting for my NGS snowplough to arrive, but until Farish and Dapol announce any new items next year, there's not much on my shopping list (well, in N gauge that is!). My plans for the shows in the spring is to exhibit the layout as it is with just 8 storage roads. It will mean some repetition of stock for viewers and much swapping of stock behind the scenes, but I don't want to alter the boards so they are too big to handle at home, and I think the genuine angle of "you can fit all this into a cupboard" is a good one to display the layout and promote the benefits of N gauge.

In January the imprtant thing to do is organise my helpers for the show. I've had some volunteers on here earlier in the year, but anyone else interested in coming along do let me know. I'm thinking I may have to audition to see who is best ;)

David

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear about losing all your work on them as well as the pc's and camera. That's a bitter blow but at least all the story is safe on here. I back up all my stuff onto discs and keep copies in my locker at work just in case of such a disaster.

Back to the fun bits.

I think 8 roads will be enough with the average concentration of viewers at a show. Add to that the time they will take to take in all the architecture and I think it will keep them entertained for ages. I'm happy to lend a couple of different coloured Kato trams for Wimborne if you want variety there ;) .

I would think 3 or 4 operators would be best to give everyone a decent break, take in the show, and leave you free to field questions when required too.

Looking forward to seeing it out and about.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to hear about your burglary; hope you get everything sorted soon.

Can each fiddle road hold more than one train? Which exhibitions are you booked for? would be good to see Ring Road in the flesh :D

Simon

Archived