Building GWR Hawksworth's & Collett coaches....

• RMweb Premium

I was going to say 'great job' as usual. However I'm going to wait twenty minutes to give Coach time to fettle, paint and detail this very neat conversion. Could give him an hour I suppose and see it running on the layout:rolleyes:

36E

• RMweb Gold

I was going to say 'great job' as usual. However I'm going to wait twenty minutes to give Coach time to fettle, paint and detail this very neat conversion. Could give him an hour I suppose and see it running on the layout:rolleyes:

36E

Yes, that even gives him time away from the model for his elevenses!

It looks absolutely lovely Larry.

The trouble is . . . . W7372W, along with W7377W, kept their GWR livery until 1957, and were then repainted into BR/WR choc/cream (Harris). These were the two reserved for special duties . . . . or are you just teasing us ? Better find that transfer sheet again. :D

Cheers, Brian.

The coach was completed just before Emerdale. I'm well pleased with the result, and for very little effort and outlay.

The model represent the very first coach built in 1948 following a repaint into blood & custard in 1952-3. Well that's my story. Photos taken on the workbench just now.....

Larry,

The look really superb - your years of experience are clearly visible.

Dave

p.s. bought a couple of maroon Hawksworths at the Cardiff Show yesterday.

• RMweb Premium

Good grief. Glazed, handles etc. applied, cleaned, primed, painted in two colours, lined and transfers applied and then on the rails in less than a day :O (Oh, is it also varnished?)

Beautiful job Larry.

It's taking me about 7/8 hours to get a simple Comet to the stage of final detailing (needing toilet pipes, alarm gear etc.) and that still does not include grab rails, door handles, interior. As for the painting, apart from priming, that's something I have yet to achieve on a bogie coach! Hey ho!:blink:

Phil

Outstanding and prolific work as always Larry.

How on earth do you get the paint dry between priming, two colour topcoat, two colour lining and varnishing and all before Emmerdale?!?:huh:

One other question, who's version of carmine do you use or is it your own special brew? It looks spot on to my eye and being fortunate enough to own one of your models purchased from dear old Norman Wissenden many moons ago, I can say so having seen one in the flesh!

Best wishes,

Andy.

I allow primer 4 hours to 'cure' before applying further paint, but in the case of my own models I shorten this to 3 hours. Each colour thereafter goes on every half-hour. Cream gets two coats, carmine one, black one.

As easy as that eh!..............I'm surprised you are not done in time for Deal Or No Deal!!!!!!:blink: I really don't know what I spend all my time messing about at!

I use Railmatch but have never been 100% happy. By experimenting with adding other colours I have some very very subtle variations across the fleet, which is never a bad thing.

Regards,

Andy.

Very interesting thread. I've been modifying some Bachmann Collets for some months now (I ain't as quick as Coach!).

Rather than cut the etched sides shorter, I cut off the body ends and inserted plasticard "spacers", then filled the roofs. The resulting overhang at the frame ends isn't too obvious. I didn't bother with the brake vehicles - just cut the van end on the etched sides shorter.

All have Keen Systems close coupling units, and I've modified some of his BR Mk1 floating endplates and fitted them onto the existing gangway connectors (except the brake ends).

Some have the combined tank fillers and end handrails as fitted to a few of these vehicles by BR.

W778W is a diag. C81 SK with the odd compartment door.

post-977-040688900 1288295952_thumb.jpg

W116W is a diag. C77 SK. The prototype is preserved at the SVR.

post-977-005466400 1288296143_thumb.jpg

W6529W is a diag. E153 BCK.

post-977-050157000 1288296406_thumb.jpg

W1645W is a diag. D127 BSK. The most difficult part of this one was removing the van-end roof tank cover and filing it smooth without removing too much detail from the excellent Bachmannn roof. Note also that this diag. had no steps or roof handrails on the van end.

post-977-032788600 1288296706_thumb.jpg

I've been thinking about it Larry, as I have an example of each (brake, compo and restaurant) up in the loft. Trouble is mine are early ones with incorrect bogies, and by the time you've replaced them, the gangways,the roof vents and removed the sides you might as well start with a Comet kit!

Also, I'm modelling the Cambrian near the end of steam, and I don't remember any GW 57' bow-enders still being around. Hawksworths and the odd Stanier Period 3 were mixed with Collett "sunshines" on stopping trains. My next coaches are a couple of Hornby LM "porthole" conversions, inspired by your excellent efforts!

Be careful with the LMS 'Porthole' composite as they were unlike anything else built by the LMS, although you probably know this. I have had a set of sides for a while but have not got around to altering the etched ends profile and locating a suitable roof.

Can I be cheeky and ask you to elaborate please Coach?

I have a few of these tucked away for a few years time once I'm brave enough :lol:

Mind I have acquired some 5522 ends and roofs so I'm hoping they are correct?

Be careful with the LMS 'Porthole' composite as they were unlike anything else built by the LMS, although you probably know this. I have had a set of sides for a while but have not got around to altering the etched ends profile and locating a suitable roof.

Yes, I was aware of the differences with the composite. I'm also a bit concerned about the 57' brake and corridor third (which I'm planning to do using the current Hornby vehicles as a base). Some (Derby built?) had the sides overlapping the underframe. In all cases the windows appear lower down the body sides than the Comet etch? This seems more accentuated with crimson/cream livery, but the gap from the cantrail to the top of the windows looks bigger to me than with earlier Stanier diagrams.

Thanks Larry.

I must admit your "porthole" brake third looks correct using Comet sides, but I'm almost certain I've seen photos of some of these with the sides overlapping the solebar and the windows lower down from the cantrail, as in your model of a D1698. Did Wolverton continue riveting frames and sides when the "portholes" were built, while Derby welded? Did this also apply to "porthole" corridor thirds, or just the brake thirds?

Finally (questions, questions!), are the sides of your D1698 Comet or Bill Bedford? I like using the latest Comet sides as they have the tumblehome pre-formed. Try as I might with various methods (including yours!), I just can't seem to form tumblehomes consistently.

Thanks for the reply Larry.

It's all interesting stuff, and shows there are a lot of subtle detail differences across the LMS Stanier designs. I get very confused about what type of roof vents were used on which diagram, and whether they had the prominent roof ribs or not (it looks as though the post-war builds just had panels butted together on the roof, without the covering "ribs").

The old maxim is true - "study a good photograph of the intended prototype"!

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the reply Larry.

It's all interesting stuff, and shows there are a lot of subtle detail differences across the LMS Stanier designs. I get very confused about what type of roof vents were used on which diagram, and whether they had the prominent roof ribs or not (it looks as though the post-war builds just had panels butted together on the roof, without the covering "ribs").

The old maxim is true - "study a good photograph of the intended prototype"!

Pity 'old Maxim' didn't take more photo's of the roof on a coach he was on about!!! I find this so frustrating too, almost as much as trying to work out what was slung underneath. Suppose underside compromise is acceptable BUT NOT THE D**N ROOF which is so visible!!:angry:

I am really glad to see these models Talyllin1, as I wondered how they would look as models. The Bachmann Collett coaches make extremely useful donors thats for sure. Have you ever used the Hornby 57' bow-ended collett coaches as donors?

Larry

I have used the Hornby 57' coaches as donors for a couple of C54 all thirds and a K38 full brake. The Comet sides are etched over length to fit the Hornby coaches (overlapping the ends), but I tend to cut the sides to match the original body sides and leave the ends alone (the Hornby ends slide on and 'cap' the sides) so that they will match the rest of the rake that is always in motion when viewed. I'm not building to your level - just adding variety to an express rake. The roof profile is not very good on the Hornby coaches and both the ends and underframe need work (and the bogies if you get an early one as a donor - they originally had LMS bogies), so I think you'll probably find too many limitations to the basic Hornby coach to want to use it as a donor.

Adrian

the bogies if you get an early one as a donor - they originally had LMS bogies

Not even that, they're BR1, the clip-on version derived from the bogie used under the 1960s Mk.1s.

I did alter some of these coaches for a friend about 30 years ago and trimmed the ends to fit within the ends which also got rid of the horrible radius on the edges.

The coach was completed just before Emerdale. I'm well pleased with the result, and for very little effort and outlay...

Blimey, what do you do when you want a real challenge?

Anyway, you have provided me with food for thought. I have a complete Comet kit for a Collett full brake, but was thinking of perhaps starting off with converting a Bachmann Collett to something using etched sides (I have seven of the blighters, maybe I'll sacrifice one or two on the alter of diversity) If I follow your methods I shouldn't go far wrong despite being rather cack-handed.

Any suggestions for the best one to start with?

F

Archived