Coach kit grab rails & hand rails.

• RMweb Premium

On the brass coach kits I am getting into building (mainly Comet & Fozard with a few hybrids thrown in) I just find that very few 'off the shelf' handles and rails fit the provided holes for the coach sides. This means that the aforementioned need fashioning (sure you are all familiar with that) and after a few I get really bored I'm afraid, as well as not really doing them very well. B)

Does anyone have any 'tricks of the trade' re. forming these little blighters? Maybe you know of an article in some tome?

I've today just made a crude, little jig for forming the ones needed on a Comet Bulleid D2406 Brake. I use my Bill Bedford gauge (great little tool) and then the little jig to make the 'fold over' required. The jig is a bit of trash ally roof from the same Comet Bulleid kit, with three 0.5mm holes drilled through at the Bedford gauge dimensions for the small grabs required for the passenger doors and even smaller ones for the Guard's doors. I'd already done the two longer Guard's grabs required on this Diagram.

This jig works, however I think the 'fold over' (typical of SR coaches) I've done just looks a bit over-scale. I could post a pic, however take my word for it!;)

Thanks, 36E.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks chaps! I've used the MJT LNER ones on appropriate builds and used a couple of the MJT LNER long handles on my Bulleid for the Guard's doors!:rolleyes:

Not really done any GWR builds yet (well not to the stage where one needs to include handles and grabs).

I've got some Roxey LSWR Grab Handles which were OK for a Kirk Maunsell I bodged up, but are too small for the Bulleids.

However, you have inspired me to search SR (SEMG?) sites to see what's on offer (if anything).

Cheers, 36E:)

Hi Mallard.

I've been looking for some grab rails for the Pullmans and have ordered some frogmore ones, (or were they MJT?), listed as GWR. I'm hoping they'll do the trick, but have not arrived as yet, so can't comment.

I agree, the boredom - o - meter is a 10 when it comes to small jobs like this, but they do tend to be the jobs that make the model, so chin up.....

Cheers.

Sean.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mallard.

I've been looking for some grab rails for the Pullmans and have ordered some frogmore ones, (or were they MJT?), listed as GWR. I'm hoping they'll do the trick, but have not arrived as yet, so can't comment.

I agree, the boredom - o - meter is a 10 when it comes to small jobs like this, but they do tend to be the jobs that make the model, so chin up.....

Cheers.

Sean.

Cheers POD. Double chin is being raised right now!! have looked at the D2406 after a few hours gale disturbed kip and it does not look too bad. B)

Your Pulls look VG indeed by the way.

36E

Hi Mallard.

Cheers.

Sean.

Cheers POD. Double chin is being raised right now!! have looked at the D2406 after a few hours gale disturbed kip and it does not look too bad. B)

Your Pulls look VG indeed by the way.

36E

Glad to hear it and thanks for the Pullman compliment. Keep us posted on how the D2406 is going and I'll let you know how the handrails look once they arrive.

Cheers.

Sean.

• RMweb Premium

Bill Bedford

Mfr Part No Mfr Product Description

Scale

Qty in Pkt

Price

E017/4 Hand rail bending jig (small)

£3.50

E017/7 Handrail bending jig

£6.70

E019/4 Hand rail bending jig (large)

£3.50

copied from Wizard Models

I thank you 96***. I'll pay my translator to work that one out. However, the next time I see Mr Wizard ;) I'll smile :rolleyes: and check to see what these jigs are in comparison to my existing little Bedford gismo.

I have attached a pic of the left side, Guard's end of the D2406 (so far) to show a couple of the handles that were formed using the Bedford jig (right, bottom) and my holy jig (left bottom - just in case you cant tell which is my home made wonder-jig:P). Spot the MJT LNER handle on one of the Guard's doors! (Don't tell Eastleigh:D)

You can see the inconsistency (and probable 'overbend') on the two small handles. The larger handle was also a faff and bent over 'on site'! It should be 'flattened' as well but what the ****! However, I'm happy with this for now and should achieve a better finish on the next coach.

36E

P.S. Off to see Bittern in a minute so have to go!

post-2326-014002800 1289641906_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The jigs identified by 96701 are, in order, the 4mm version that Mallard already uses, the 7mm version, and another 4mm version designed for grabs that start at (scale!) 42". There is an image of it on this page

http://www.eileensemporium.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=5743&category_id=286&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

Incidentally, the curly grab handles on the outside of coaches have always been referred to as Commode Handles in my experience.

• RMweb Premium

Found it, and thanks for making me look, I quite enjoyed looking through my old workbench topic.

http://www.rmweb.co....24138&start=125

Thanks a lot Tim. That IS a jig! I could use something like that for Maunsell handles! At least the Bulleid ones are symmetrical and therefore should be easier!:rolleyes:

What is brilliant is how quickly you can learn stuff on this site. I am not imaginative enough at the moment!

I have an apology to make to you and all other RM Webbers. Recently I though I had 'invented' a great way to make hinges easily. Yes, brass lace pins!:lol: However, I actually grind the heads on mine on a mini drill with a disc - great fun, but maybe not so much fun as bashing them with a hammer!

Incidentally, did you have to reposition (and so fill the old) and drill new holes on the Comet B Set to take your beautiful handles or are they in the 'Comet' position and you made the handle to fit?

Glad you enjoyed a look back as well!

Cheers again matey.

36E

• RMweb Premium

Southern Pride do a coach detailing etch, as do Comet. I've used bits from each to do the handles on my D2406:

post-6675-007482300 1289659543_thumb.jpg

post-6675-096999200 1289659543_thumb.jpg

Hey, you've started/done yours too. Great minds eh?

Looks like you've used the S Pride etch for your 'commode handles'? Fancy not seeing the Bulleid handles etc set on the SP site and only about £1.50.

Did they fit the Comet holes? If so it's worth buying a whole batch of those etches if one is doing the ACE and more!:blink:

The Comet etch only has door handles (not commodes/grabs) and hinges amongst other strange looking things I believe? I'll have a look at that set too. The little Comet door handles are OK for using as hinges on some coaches as well, but I still prefer 'my' (and Tim V's) pins!:P

Spams, how many 2406s did you need?;) (By the way, nice rain strips. I've not dared do those yet). I'm so weedy I've thought of trying to adapt a S Pride Bulleid roof (has the strips on there already as you know) to use on a Comet Bulleid kit. HOWEVER, I believe lots of Bulleids had their roof rain strips changed to singles later in life so the double mould might be wrong on the Pride roof anyway. By the way, did you know that the coach end steps, bar the bottom one, were removed in the 60's on most (all?) SR stock? Small caption in the Mike King 'bible' informed me of that.:O

Sincerely, Eva Andle

• RMweb Premium

From memory, yes I think the SP rails did fit the Comet sides holes. There may be more info in my original thread on the old RMweb here. I can't take any credit for the rainstrips... coming clean the roof is one of the latest SP mouldings.

As to how many D2406s you need?.... well I've got enough parts to do 4! He's a few more shots of my test coach - sadly no further progress since these were taken last year, other than 1 bogie made up. (poor show really)

post-6675-099882500 1289752623_thumb.jpg

SP main body with clear sides

post-6675-014838000 1289752625_thumb.jpg

SP roof and home made trusses (some of the other roofs have had one rainstrip removed)

post-6675-067581300 1289752626_thumb.jpg

Underframe sub assembly - mostly Comet bits. And no, I haven't gone mad and added too many bits... These D2406s were built with a single large dia reservoir tank and a single dia Prestall brake lever cylinder apparently to save weight. These were not too reliable and therefore they were later replaced with smaller twin brake lever cylinders. (See Gould 'Bulleid's SR Steam Passenger Stock' pg 17). This is my interpretation of this!

post-6675-098570600 1289752627_thumb.jpg

Sub assembly in place

post-6675-095691500 1289752628_thumb.jpg

Main parts (less bogies)

post-6675-006872500 1289752630_thumb.jpg

End A - both have Comet corridor castings / etches

post-6675-010090600 1289752631_thumb.jpg

End B - both have appropriate top steps missing and hand rails / filler pipes / lamp irons made up from staples / brass wire

post-6675-047327900 1289752622_thumb.jpg

All put together, waiting for me to take the plunge and finish it!

• RMweb Premium

So let's get this straight then. This is a pair of Comet sides on some SP body parts with SP roof and some other bits and bobs? Looks OK to me. Do the Comet sides fit the SP body (clear sides)?

I too had great fun thrusting :huh: all sorts of bits up the underframe, however my coach underparts are all Comet and the coach is a Comet kit which I am sorry to say, as you probably know, still has inaccurate side etchings (spacing of windows - according to the 'KING BIBLE').

Shall we make a pledge to complete our 'fleets' of D2406s by the end of 2011?:rolleyes:

Thanks for bothering with all the pics by the way!

Oh yes, that Coachman is going to have to pay a big price for all this activity!!:P

Happy days, Phil @ 36E

PC models used to do a great etch for Mk1 handles etc for their printed overlays for Mk1 (unsurprisingly...) coaches. Some of them work well on late Collett GWR coaches. I am not sure if you could get them new any more, but they do turn up in those rummage trays at shows.

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mallard.

Any news on the coach build?

As promised, below is a picture of the grab rails I have used on the Pullmans. They're by MJT, (Part no. 3920).

You'll have to excuse the slightly blurred image, its just starting to snow again here and I was a little shivery. Hope you're grateful?.....B)

You're also getting the exclusive on this piccy too, as I haven't yet posted it on my Pullman thread, although I probably will do that next.

Anywho, on a more serious note, the handrails I used were the 10mm version from the etch and had to bend them out slightly to 11mm. The etch comes with varying sizes of grab rail, so there should be something for everyone...... They also have a kind of decorative piece at each body joining point which represents the Pullman type well.

Anywho, I'll leave it at that for now.

Hope this is of interest.

Cheers.

Sean.

post-6920-091818100 1291805442_thumb.jpg

Archived