N gauge Chivers Kits Assembled Ready to Run

finelines

• RMweb Premium

Last year I floated the idea of getting one, or some of my N gauge wagons assembled ready to run, my thought was the LNER Extra Long CCT. The project died for two reasons, my discussions with the company concerned felt like the goal posts kept moving and the response from the potential customers was muted.

A chance conversation with a potential buyer at an exhibition put things into a different light. He said roughly, “you were going to glue some of your kits together and paint them to sell, I think you would have sold a few.†When I pointed out that the plan was to have the assembled and “decorated†in China his attitude has changed. Perhaps the secretiveness of the bigger boys on the block influenced me to reveal less of what my idea was. So here goes again, I could reopen the discussions.

The plan is to produce a batch of the LNER CCT’s ready to run. This is not quite the same as producing a kit because in a commercial operation the objective is not the pleasure of building it, but getting it done as quickly and accurately as possible, so there are things to work out.

As far as I can see there are 4 potential liveries, LNER Mock Teak, BR Crimson, BR Maroon and BR Blue. My first choice would be BR Maroon for the first batch because it covers the full intermediate period of steam/diesel.

My guess is the minimum order is 500 and that would produce a price of about £12.

I would appreciate your thoughts because 500 is a lot to sell. Please don’t ask about other prototypes at this stage, there are others that would be popular but this is the one I’ve been working on.

Roger

Hello, Roger!

At that sort of price, I would definitely put my hand up for 2 in BR maroon, possibly 3.

Only another 498 promises needed, then!

I wouldn't be very interested in paying a lot more than Bac/Far's prices for R-T-R items that would be detailed variants of their standard production wagons, but interesting and sensibly priced RTR versions of kits where there is no other RTR source would attract small orders from me. I certainly don't need 'fleet' or 'block train' quantities of any rolling stock, though!

Hope this helps and provides encouragement! Good luck!

Richard

• RMweb Premium

As with Richard I would not be looking to purchase fleets of these vans, however I might be interested in 1 or 2 if they were in crimson (so probably not that much help in the context of your preferred livery Roger).

• RMweb Gold

Hi Roger,

This sounds like a most excellent enterprise indeed. Put me down for a Blue CCT if it comes to fruition!

May I humbly suggest that the OTA Timber Wagon or BAA Steel wagon would make good subjects for this treatment (but also good targets for the RTR boys)!

Last year I floated the idea of getting one, or some of my N gauge wagons assembled ready to run, my thought was the LNER Extra Long CCT. The project died for two reasons, my discussions with the company concerned felt like the goal posts kept moving and the response from the potential customers was muted.

A chance conversation with a potential buyer at an exhibition put things into a different light. He said roughly, “you were going to glue some of your kits together and paint them to sell, I think you would have sold a few.†When I pointed out that the plan was to have the assembled and “decorated†in China his attitude has changed. Perhaps the secretiveness of the bigger boys on the block influenced me to reveal less of what my idea was. So here goes again, I could reopen the discussions.

The plan is to produce a batch of the LNER CCT’s ready to run. This is not quite the same as producing a kit because in a commercial operation the objective is not the pleasure of building it, but getting it done as quickly and accurately as possible, so there are things to work out.

As far as I can see there are 4 potential liveries, LNER Mock Teak, BR Crimson, BR Maroon and BR Blue. My first choice would be BR Maroon for the first batch because it covers the full intermediate period of steam/diesel.

My guess is the minimum order is 500 and that would produce a price of about £12.

I would appreciate your thoughts because 500 is a lot to sell. Please don’t ask about other prototypes at this stage, there are others that would be popular but this is the one I’ve been working on.

Hi Roger

I have built the kit and really like the prototype. Very unlikely a major player would produce this wagon anytime soon I suspect and it provides welcome variety in a parcels train. At that price RTR I'd definitely have at least two in BR maroon.

Regards

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Roger

I would be very interested in at least one of these please, preferably in either teak or British Rail crimson livery. Sounds great!

Hello Roger,

I've already managed to obtain three of the Extra Long CCT kits, but I could easily be persuaded to buy another one of each of the four liveries mentioned should they appear RTR (the benefit of modelling more than one period!), especially at £12 a go, which seems very reasonable :biggrin_mini2:

Best wishes,

Kevin

Roger,

While the LNER CCT would not be a first choice for me, there were a couple of others in the line that would most definitely be on my shopping list - specifically the Open C and the Python (guess what region floats my boat...;) ). I shall watch this with great interest and I do hope this becomes a successful venture for you.

• RMweb Premium

I'd be interested in a couple of maroon ones.Would it be possible to produce them in more than one number (eg 2 x 250 or 4 x 125),it might even bring in more sales.Just a thought.

Yes I would love to have the LNER CCT - though I could only justify one. My attempt at the kit version was a failure. I could not get it square enough to run smoothly on the sharp curves on the club layout. I would want either BR Maroon or BR Crimson - whichever came first.

And I would certainly be very interested in an OTA or 3 if that came next - for my more modern Scottish interests. But my preference would be more varied liveries. I have seen them in a palish blue as well as EWS and other liveries as well.

• RMweb Premium

Yes I would love to have the LNER CCT - though I could only justify one. My attempt at the kit version was a failure. I could not get it square enough to run smoothly on the sharp curves on the club layout. I would want either BR Maroon or BR Crimson - whichever came first.

Crimson was the earlier livery, Portpatrick.

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks,

The NGS Stove R was produced via Dapol with totally new tooling and was designed and manufactured as a ready-to-run product from the off.

I believe Chivers are considering sending their own kit mouldings to China, where they will be assembled and finished in a factory and returned to the UK complete and boxed.

This is the approach used by C-rail for their 20' tank containers in 4mm, and it would make sense to use the same factory as they have a grasp of the concept.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

I took that to mean whichever was produced first.

I see what you mean, I hadn't thought of it that way. Sorry if that was what you meant PP.

• RMweb Premium

Just a freindly thought - have you considered the packaging?

Folk are generally happy for a kit wagon to be unboxed when finished but I'm guessing most people will want something along the lines that Farish or Dapol use if they're buying a RTR wagon.

From my point of view I'd be tempted with a blue liveried model but I'd much prefer the kits to be readily available again! I could quite happily find a home for another dozen or so BBAs.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

HI Roger

It really comes down to this, and it's quite simple!!

You will never know till you try as nothing is certain, and we all know what happened to the man who didn't take a gamble once in a while, that being "Nothing"

Regards =C=Rail= Arran

I see what you mean, I hadn't thought of it that way. Sorry if that was what you meant PP.

Hi Kris

yes I was thinking in terms of what gets produced first. But thank you for the info anyway. I had a feeling crimson came first - my N Soc Stove Rs were purchased on that basis. My normal period is flexible anyway - 1950 to 1964. A Compound may run one local on the Port Road and a green Class 126 Ayrshire unit adapted from Minitrix coaches runs another on the Girvan line!

Colin

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

I would get 2 or 3 in Maroon/Crimson and 1 or 2 in "Teak" for exhibition layouts I'm involved with, but unlikely to buy any more than that.

For my own layout I would definately buy BBAs to go with the kits I made a few years back - so lets hope the CCT is a success!

Simon

Archived