kevpeo

The DfT's latest idea to beat overcrowding -

attachicon.gifDSCF0001 (5).JPG

Aw, Thomas is all grown up! Supplied by a certain (South)West Cumbria based railway company! They should please the kids as they scamper around on Coppell at shows, although Thomas did once cause a child to burst into tears at one show because he was dirty! The ensemble is sound fitted, and has a party piece too, but can't run on Loch Dour due to the c**p wheel flanges. Kev.

Great work Kev...

What a great photo and great work... as to what it may have looked like if steam was still in the main today.

Jamie

Hi all. Inspired by DC Kits/Bif's speaker demo at Preston (oh all right, it's a blatant rip-off!) I thought that would be a very useful addition to the work bench. So I knocked up my own -

post-8271-0-38426100-1394891255_thumb.jpg

You plug the decoder into the ESU decoder tester on the top right, unsolder the wires from the speaker and connect them to the two copper clad strips next to it and bingo, you can compare results using the middle rotary switch to pick the best speaker for each sound project, subject to space limitations in the model of course! But it does allow you to decide easily if chopping up a chassis really is worth the effort.

Key -

A = 100 Ohm, Bass-enhanced.

B = 100 Ohm, Bass-reflex.

1 = 4 Ohm, 23mm no enclosure.

2 = 4 Ohm, 23mm with enclosure. (not sealed)

3 = 4 Ohm, 23mm with enclosure. (sealed with blue tack)

4 = 4 Ohm, 40 x 20 ESU with enclosure.(part sealed with blue tack, I hadn't noticed until I took the photo!)

5 = 4 Ohm, 40 x 20 Bass-enhanced.

6 = 4 Ohm, Bass-reflex.

7 = 4 Ohm, 40 x 28 Alan Butcher. (my preferred one for baby sulzers!)

In more exiting news. In celebration (?) of my impending 'significant' birthday (if you need a clue, think Ajax, Hercules, Hood etc.) me and unitned (Rick, who is just a whippersnapper!) have booked a driver day together on 27 024 at Haverthwaite in November. Not cheap, but they have agreed that the one who is not driving can record the proceedings. Best get some new batteries for the Tascam!

Edited by kevpeo
  • Like 4

:unsureclear:   Psst, can you see any lawyers? No? Ok then, I should be safe to post!

Is this the way to Man Pic mate?

post-8271-0-38690500-1395497924_thumb.jpg

No, I'm lost then!

Don't worry, it's just running in, in readiness for Coppell's next show.  Bright init, after all this large logo and blue stuff!  Kev.

edit - I really couldn't live with that face! So I have since backdated and re-numbered it to 55991, with big round buffers and gangways. Much nicer!

Edited by kevpeo
  • Like 4

:unsureclear:   Psst, can you see any lawyers? No? Ok then, I should be safe to post!

Is this the way to Man Pic mate?

attachicon.gif128 unit.JPG

No, I'm lost then!

Don't worry, it's just running in, in readiness for Coppell's next show.  Bright init, after all this large logo and blue stuff!  Kev.

Is this the way to Piccadilly? sha la la la la...

• 3 weeks later...

With two weeks to go before Loch Dour's next appearance, at Liverpool, the only item of new stock is finished!

post-8271-0-51737200-1397240359_thumb.jpg

The odds/evens train. Let me explain. The layouts fiddle yard works best with an even number of trains. So, if an operator who normally provide a train isn’t present, and we have an odd number, we 'bring on the sub'! 37 403's headboard brackets have now arrived, so that should also be fully finished in time. Speaking of missing operators, two of my normal(?) team are not available for this show. They also happen to be the two that provide the 'kettle ex' for the 80's period, so there will be no steam. In its place will be a diverted west highland sleeper rake working to Inverbeg, for one day only, due to the main line being closed for engineering work. Kev.

• Like 4

I did try to take a photo when I gave the rake a test run. But in the loft I could only get the loco and first two coaches. And they were the 'Glasgow portion' Mk1's, so look just like the other trains on the layout!  Kev. 

Here you go Bill, the best I can do!

post-8271-0-95125000-1397325752_thumb.jpg

37 412 brings 'the beds' gently into Loch Dour on route to Inverbeg. In reality the Glasgow seated portion will be on the front, but I stuck them on the back for the photo, and you cannie see em! Kev.

• Like 4

Hi all. Inspired by DC Kits/Bif's speaker demo at Preston (oh all right, it's a blatant rip-off!) I thought that would be a very useful addition to the work bench. So I knocked up my own -

attachicon.gifSpeaker tester.JPG

You plug the decoder into the ESU decoder tester on the top right, unsolder the wires from the speaker and connect them to the two copper clad strips next to it and bingo, you can compare results using the middle rotary switch to pick the best speaker for each sound project, subject to space limitations in the model of course! But it does allow you to decide easily if chopping up a chassis really is worth the effort.

Key -

A = 100 Ohm, Bass-enhanced.

B = 100 Ohm, Bass-reflex.

1 = 4 Ohm, 23mm no enclosure.

2 = 4 Ohm, 23mm with enclosure. (not sealed)

3 = 4 Ohm, 23mm with enclosure. (sealed with blue tack)

4 = 4 Ohm, 40 x 20 ESU with enclosure.(part sealed with blue tack, I hadn't noticed until I took the photo!)

5 = 4 Ohm, 40 x 20 Bass-enhanced.

6 = 4 Ohm, Bass-reflex.

7 = 4 Ohm, 40 x 28 Alan Butcher. (my preferred one for baby sulzers!)

In more exiting news. In celebration (?) of my impending 'significant' birthday (if you need a clue, think Ajax, Hercules, Hood etc.) me and unitned (Rick, who is just a whippersnapper!) have booked a driver day together on 27 024 at Haverthwaite in November. Not cheap, but they have agreed that the one who is not driving can record the proceedings. Best get some new batteries for the Tascam!

Clever idea, I've considered doing something like this on a number of occasions. Nice selection of speakers, the 28mm round, would also be worth considering/including. 

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to the Liverpool club for the fine hospitality over the weekend. We were a little 'penned in' between three other layouts, which made it a bit of a tight squeeze to get behind to operate. But those of us using Touchcab were able to move to the ends. Which led to the highlight of the show for me, as I was able to interact with the younger members of the audience, letting them 'blow the horns' etc. The look on one lads face as he powered the sleeper rake away from a signal stop with 37 408 blowing a seven tone horn was priceless! Kev.

• Like 1

Are you saying I'm horny Ozzy?

Anyway, moving on.

Sputter, splutter, splutter!

post-8271-0-38937300-1399229088_thumb.jpg

Not a favourite turn with crews, a 101 3 car unit starts its feeble attack on the hill.

Yep, Loch Dour is back in 70’s mode while several members of the 80’s fleet undergo attention. Firstly 37 410 failed before opening time at Liverpool with all drive lost to one bogie. This also happened when it was new, and turned out to be a loose universal joint within the flywheel. Any attempt to remove it failed, with the plastic piece jamming solid when I attempted to pull it out. Of course this also fixed it until now, so this time I also super-glued it. Only time will tell!

26 028 has lost its Howes v3.5 decoder, replaced with the latest Digitrains Zimo decoder and a 28mm QSI speaker, while 37 033 has lost its Bachman v3.5 for a Legomanbiffo v4. 37 403 runs the same Bachman/SWD sounds, but is louder and more adjustable, as it is a v4. And finally comes 37 406, which I need to strip right down to determine whether I stuffed up and fitted the wrong speaker! I think I may have used an 8ohm I had lying around, as it has come out a bit on the quiet side compared to those running 4ohm ones. You live & learn.

Next outing, Wigan show, 7/8th June. Kev.

• Like 2